R U doing anything to prevent infection: | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

R U doing anything to prevent infection: R U doing anything to prevent infection:

Unread 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
R U doing anything to prevent infection:

actively while you are in-hosp? My sister is going to be there b!tching at people and asking them if they washed their hands! I am bringing a can of Lysol and a big Purell pump. There will be no reason they are germy....She is staying with me as my advocate, thank goodness.

One of my BIGGEST fears (next to pain, leaving a sponge inside my incision, etc!!!....) is MRSA! I am a germophobe and thinking of resistant staph infections is making me CRAZY!!!

Anyone else as insane as me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2008, 05:16 PM

It's not insane!

It is good to be aware of these problems as they seem to be more wide spread than ever nowadays.

Anything you can do to make sure you don't get a hospital acquired infection has to be a good move in my opinion.

I made sure that I used the antiseptic hand wash all the time and was pleased to see all the nurses use it each time they wanted to touch me. Hospital staff really do need to play their role here to make sure there is no cross infection between patients.
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:20 PM

My hospital had hand sanitizers all over the place, and everyone who touched me used the sanitizer and then put gloves on. I had taken my own purell stuff just in case, but I never even felt the need to get it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2008, 05:20 PM

No, I worked on making myself as healthy as possible.
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM

I know hospitals are careful, but stuff still gets passed. I had a coworker whose mother died from MRSA. It really is not so much hands. I hope they have that covered by now. I wonder about the food trays, the bed rails, the catheter, bedpans, etc. Just thinking about it make me nuts!!!
Katy - I hope they are vigilant!
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:57 PM

i took my own purell and had my hubby lysol the bathroom stuff I would touch, just in case. I'm with you.

Kara
Unread 12-27-2008, 08:40 PM

I was worried about MRSA too! I made my DH and my Mom wipe everything down in the room with clorox wipes that I brought (my bed rails, the call/TV button, the phone, bedside table, etc). I brought hand sanitizer too, but there was a pump mounted on the wall in my room that the staff used!
I know my DH and Mom thought I was crazy, but I work in a hospital, and I didn't want to take any chances!
Unread 12-27-2008, 10:21 PM

Don't forget the bedside chair and the privacy curtains. The curtains do not get sanitized between patients. Asking your visitors to refrain from touching you or kissing you. They have just been in all the public areas of the hospital and are bringing the 'worldly' germs in.
Unread 12-28-2008, 08:46 AM

I also brought a pair of old flip flops for the shower. Threw them out when I left the hospital.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register