Hysterctomy recovery.... what can I expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterctomy recovery.... what can I expect? Hysterctomy recovery.... what can I expect?

Unread 09-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Hysterctomy recovery.... what can I expect?

I am set to have a LAVH Sept. 27th. I am very nervous. I hear the first 24 hours is AWFUL! Can any post-op women tell me what to expect? I am very worried about being sick to my stomach and the dreaded "gas pains" everyone talks about. I am 30 and the only surgery I have had was a D&C.... which was a breeze! Any advice or information would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2004, 10:52 AM

Dear saved by grace and yes you are saved my grace daily...I am one week post op and I am 55, also had a d and c and this time I had a TVH. I cant speak for everybody but read my hospital story. I can only promise you that your worse enemy at this time is the nerves, its not that big of a deal, your d and c is about how you are going to feel except you are going to tire much easier and you have to be patient on a daily basis when you get house bound, I dont take any pain meds and i am about to go for one of my daily walks, read my story, you will be just fine, the gas feels just like it does when you have it now with a bad period as soon as you pass it the pain goes, its no big deal I promise...Love, D
Unread 09-21-2004, 11:13 AM

Hi! I am 29 yrs old and had my LAVH on 8-30-04. I, personally , do not remember too much about the first 24 hours. I wasnt in pain, I had the morphine pump. The only bad part for me was the hour and a half ride home from the hospital, and that was only because my back hurt and I couldnt get in a comfortable position. Once I got home, I took my pain meds like I was supposed to and only got up to use the bathroom, eat, and get into bed. As for gas pains, I didnt experience those until my second week of recovery. Go and get you some gas-x, that helped me tremendously!!!! The hardest part for me was not being able to get up and go and do like I am used to. I am three weeks post-op as of yesterday, and I am finally starting to feel normal again. I do still get tired easily, and there are some things I still cant do, but I am feeling better. I have even lost some weight and have a color to my face that I havent had in years. My DH is having a hard time keeping his hands of me, but he will have to wait, LOL!!!!

Now, as for being worried about being sick to your stomach. Are you worried about the anethesia causing that or something else. If you are worried about the anesthesia, there are many good drugs out there to prevent that. Please tell your anesthesiologist your concern. I did, and he said that he would give me something before my surgery, during, and right be for the woke me up. I didnt have a problem at all, nor at any other time during my hospital stay.

Please try not to worry, if you have any questions or want to talk, feel free to contact me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2004, 11:24 AM

Dear Saved By Grace,
I had a LAVH on Aug. 24th. Never had any serious surgery prior to this, tho I am 56 years old. My first 24 hours were uncomfortable and not fun, but not awful. . . . My surgery was scheduled for 8:00 a.m. I don't remember being awake again until about 2:00 p.m. -- when I was being wheeled back to my room. For the rest of that day, I was groggy. I had a morphine button, which I used liberally. I only vaguely recall that my husband and boss came to visit ! Nurses and other people came and went. I felt nauseous, even tho they gave me medication for this. But this was only a problem when they tried to make me eat something. The main thing I didn't like was being "hooked up" to an I.V., connected to a catheter, and had stimulation blankets (my term) wrapped around my legs. I literally couldn't move very far, and definitely couldn't get out of bed. I felt like a mummy ! The next day, I forced down some food, just so they would let me go home, where I thought I'd be more comfortable. . . . What many people say is true: The worrying and anxiety before the surgery is the worst part. I'm sure you'll do fine. Take care.
Unread 09-21-2004, 12:37 PM

Wow, you are nervous! I am 4 days post TAH. and feel great. The first 24 hours I slept through mostly. No "major" pain even though my morphine drip was not functioning correctly. I had no nausea at all.

Day two Dr visited and gave me a pain injection, and I was up doing (very slow) laps of the ward. Gas was a problem though and took me off my trekking feet for a while on day two.

Now I feel I could hike the canyon. I was out shopping last night. Hubby drove.

With the aid of a heat pad, Milk of magnesea and herbal mint tea, I have pooped today. You will be fine.

You are a strong 30 year old, you will suprise yourself.
Unread 09-21-2004, 12:47 PM

Savedbygrace....I love your user name by the way. I'm 6 days post-op and I'm doing great also. I felt good during the first 24 hours...they take good care of you at the castle Hon...and like Jennyleigh said, the Anesthesiologist will put meds in your IV to keep the nausea at bay....the gas will come and go... ...love ya Hon, and God Bless you...You are saved by Grace....and will be in the Greatest of all Hands!

luv, hugs & Prayers,

Mich
Unread 09-21-2004, 04:38 PM

SavedbyGrace - I have the same fears. Thanks for asking the questions that sometimes I don't even know to ask. I'm going to get the Gas X tonight - two days and a wake up.....gulp!
Unread 09-21-2004, 05:02 PM
New Member - Questions

Hi Everyone,

I am a 56 yr old who after 6 children( + twin ganddaughters and another new granddaughter!) has a rectoclele and a
cystocele and needs surgery to correct both and will probably be told to take out the uterus etc. I have been to two doctors and will see a third one on Friday.

I have already seen a urologist and tried all the pessarys (sp?) which I can push out or else they are so painful that I can't walk.

I am very scared about having this surgery which I have been told is my only option now. I wondered if there was anyone who had a vaginal hysto with the repairs? If so can you tell me what I can expect to have happen during the days following syrgery...pain..etc. When will I feelmore like normal. I can not afford to miss very much work time - probably two to three weeks max.

Any advice would be very welcome as I must decide by this weekend what I will do. I have enjoyed ready everyones posts.

Rustyruns
Unread 09-21-2004, 05:38 PM

I'm a 9/27 lady in waiting as well - though I'm having a TVH. HAve you had your pre-op yet? I had mine today. It went very, very well!

Maybe we can keep each other calm for the next 6 days! Feel free to email me with concerns or encouragement - and I'll do the same for you.
Unread 09-21-2004, 07:20 PM

Hi SavedbyGrace~
Great name......we are all saved by Grace!!!
Anyway, I am having a SAH on Friday. Yesterday at my pre-ops, the anesthesiologist gave me the option of what type of anesthesia I wanted. Did they give you any options?
I opted for the spinal/epidural. My Dr also prefers that type. She said then I won't be sick and won't be "foggy".

I am positive that God will bless your surgery. He will go before you into the operating room, the recovery room and your room. He will make a way for you!! Don't let fear take away the promises you have!! God knew from the beginning of time, what the outcome of your surgery is. Trust in Him!!
Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register