5 days post abdominal hysterectomy: how long until I can sleep on my side? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post abdominal hysterectomy: how long until I can sleep on my side? 5 days post abdominal hysterectomy: how long until I can sleep on my side?

Unread 06-11-2014, 06:29 AM
5 days post abdominal hysterectomy: how long until I can sleep on my side?

How long will it be until I can sleep on my sides again? Got a big incision because doc ended up having to do abdominal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Re: 5 days post abdominal hysterectomy: how long until I can sleep on my side?

It is an individual thing. You need to strengthen some muscles until you can turn on your own. I can't remember exactly how long it took me, but I can tell you it was a couple mos.

Chris
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Is there a reason medical reason not to sleep on your side? I can sleep on my lt side with pillow support, but not my rt side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM

No medical reason that I know of .Remember those muscles have been cut and it takes a while to get back into shape.

Chris
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:14 PM

It took me 4 weeks to attempt it and 2 more till I felt comfortable. I needed pillows on the side I was sleeping on until it felt ok without them...
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:16 PM

I was able to sleep on both sides at 12 days after my TAH. Used a pillow for a little belly support, but it felt great to finally sleep my usual way! My quality of sleep improved tremendously, and I think that sped my healing!
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM

It took me about 4-5 weeks with pillow support. By now, 10weeks later, I can sleep on both sides pretty well. Hope this helps, remember everyone is different.
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM

I slept on my side at day 2 post op. My lower back hurt so bad, and I was not getting any quality sleep (on my back).
I snore when I sleep on my back and wake myself up every 20 to 30 minutes (snoring through my mouth).
I was desperate, so I rolled to the side, and with my pain meds, slept like a baby!!

Just try it, you might be surprised that you can do it.... Some women use pillows to prop them.

Good luck!
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:53 PM

I could lay on my right, with support, the first week!! I even once rolled off my pillows and woke up laying on my stomach at about 3 weeks. Regretted that. But even now i cannot get comfortable on my left, even with pillows, unless i am almost sitting upright then turn. Be patient, it will come
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:49 PM

I'm 13 weeks now and still can't sleep on my sides. I've been able to roll to my sides since day one doing a dog roll. See Michelle Kenways on youtube How to get out of bed after a Hysterectomy, had to adapt that technique to my physical capabilities putting one leg out of bed at a time, but a good technique and easy now at 13 weeks. But still can't spend a lot of time sleeping on my sides although slowly getting better. Each person is so different, I've read ones can sleep on their side but not on their back, we're so individual with our healing. All the best with your recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register