DaVinci vs LSH? Talk to me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DaVinci vs LSH? Talk to me DaVinci vs LSH? Talk to me

Unread 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
DaVinci vs LSH? Talk to me

My GYN's partner (who does the surgeries) has offered me either - my choice. With a LSH, I could keep my cervix. With DaVinci I wouldn't. (it's all about scheduling and necessity of the robot machine - I am trying to get this in by the end of the year to maximize my help at home time during recovery)

GYN thinks there is no real reason to keep cervix. He said as a resident, it was all about keeping the cervix and he did almost all LSHs and left cervixes (cervixi?) Since then several studies have been released and the women followed overwhelmingly say the cervix doesn't affect their sex lives or lubrication. In his practice he takes 98% of cervixes.

So - for those who have been through it - does keeping the cervix matter?

Is one surgery superior to the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Re: DaVinci vs LSH? Talk to me

Freem -

I do not know why your doctor told you that you could not keep your cervix with a daVinci procedure. Supracervical hysterectomies can be performed with this surgical system. Both of the surgeries you are talking about are laproscopic procedures. The difference is that the daVinci system should provide your surgeon greater control and visibility due to the articulated arms of the robotic system and the 10x magnification of the viewing area.

I had a daVinci for endometrial cancer, after being told it couldn't be done laproscopically. I would ask your doctor why he thinks he can't leave the cervix with a daVinci procedure. Several members have done that.

On the leave the cervix or take the cervix front I will leave others to answer that because I had no choice because of the cancer dx.

Since you don't have a date, research, research, research!

G.
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:02 PM

I had LSH, Da Vinci was not an option. To me they do not look that different and the recovery is similar, I believe.

I kept my cervix as my doc's principle was not to remove healthy organs. And I do not have family history of cervical cancer and my tests have always been normal. She felt cervix has a supportive role.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2009, 04:09 PM

((Freem))

While I had no choice regarding keeping or removing my cervix, I am nine years post op and can tell you that not having my cervix has not been a problem for me! I have no issues with intercourse, have plenty of vaginal lubrication, and I have no issues with prolapse (pelvic support is fine).

Do your research, get at least a second surgical opinion, and do what is best for you!

Unread 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM

(((Freem))) It's hard to compare, because those of us who have had our surgeries already either have kept our cervix or have not - we haven't done both and been able to compare.

I will say that my cervix was removed with my hysterectomy (TVH) and I don't miss it one bit. I'd also like to point out that the cervix is not a separate organ, it's just the lower neck of the uterus. Whether or not it *has* to be removed may depend on why you're having your surgery. For example, many women who have their surgeries for cancer, endometriosis or even fibroids will have the cervix removed to avoid future problems resulting from its being left behind.

I haven't had an LSH, nor have I had a daVinci surgery, but I am very familiar with the daVinci system and would opt for that technology over a straight laparascopic procedure just because the surgeon can see better and maneuver better, plus tends to get less tired because they're able to be seated during the surgery. To me, that sounds like a better chance at an optimal outcome - but it's your body and your choice.

If you're not sure about what your DR is telling you, don't hesitate to get another opinion - it may confirm what you're thinking, or help you decide to go another way.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Why does the phrase "in his practice he takes 98% of cervixes" bother me? I would wonder about a dr who does that. Shouldn't it be individual to the patient?

I had as LSH Davinci,with sacral colpopexy (sp) because of my prolapse. I debated about keeping my ovaries, and my urogyn gave me the pros and cons, but left the decision up to me. When I told him I'd them removed, he said he thought I had made a good decision.

Wow, glad he wasn't the kind of dr who said "I take the ovaries of 98% of my post-menopausal patients".
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM

I had the daVinci and keeping my cervix wasn't an option since my hysterectomy was due to adenocarcinoma in my cervix.
Anyway, what I have learned is that one of biggest problems in laparoscopic hysterectomy is that the internal stitches fail easily. With the daVinci everything is much more precise. The tools are tiny and they have joints. Also the dr. gets a good 3D look at things.
As of recovery, I could have not been happier. I spent 2 days in bed (the day of surgery and the next day). After that I was pretty much able to do anything. After 2 weeks I was released to do any kind of sports but heavy lifting. At 3 weeks, I was pretty much like I never had surgery. Although I'm still not into vigorous jumping, type jumping on a trampoline.
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:48 AM

He told me it was just a matter of reserving the robot. I asked to have this done by the end of the year for insurance reasons. Sorry I didnt' make that clear. The LSH is easier to schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauruslady View Post
Freem -

I do not know why your doctor told you that you could not keep your cervix with a daVinci procedure. Supracervical hysterectomies can be performed with this surgical system. Both of the surgeries you are talking about are laproscopic procedures. The difference is that the daVinci system should provide your surgeon greater control and visibility due to the articulated arms of the robotic system and the 10x magnification of the viewing area.

G.
Unread 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
(((Freem))) but I am very familiar with the daVinci system and would opt for that technology over a straight laparascopic procedure just because the surgeon can see better and maneuver better, plus tends to get less tired because they're able to be seated during the surgery. To me, that sounds like a better chance at an optimal outcome - but it's your body and your choice.

-Linda
Thanks Linda - this is my line of thinking as well... especially since alot of my pain has been unexplained over the years.
Unread 10-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Sorry - I'm a math girl so I stated it statistically even though he didn't talk like that. I forced him to give me numbers because it's the way I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrl247 View Post
Why does the phrase "in his practice he takes 98% of cervixes" bother me? I would wonder about a dr who does that. Shouldn't it be individual to the patient?

I had as LSH Davinci,with sacral colpopexy (sp) because of my prolapse. I debated about keeping my ovaries, and my urogyn gave me the pros and cons, but left the decision up to me. When I told him I'd them removed, he said he thought I had made a good decision.

Wow, glad he wasn't the kind of dr who said "I take the ovaries of 98% of my post-menopausal patients".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register