Unsure of what to do! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unsure of what to do! Unsure of what to do!

Unread 10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Unsure of what to do!

Where to start.. I have 2 large fibroids in my muscle tissue & adenomyosis. I have pain everyday...heavy periods with blood clots.. The dr. says I could have a fibroid emb. or a hyst. Went to see another dr about the fibroid emb. and he said it was 80-90% to fix the problem with the fibroids and only a 50% chance to fix the adenomyosis problem. So i thought I had made up my mind to have the hyst, but the more I read here the more I am afraid of all that comes along with the hyst. Am I just freakin myself out for no reason? My husband and I have been together for 20yrs. and have a awesome sex life... I guess I am afraid of losing that... Not really sure what to do.. I am 38yrs old and feel like a kid not being able to make my mind up. I AM SO SCARED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Re: Unsure of what to do!

Me too
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:17 PM

I am glad I'm not the only one! Family & friends say just have the hyst its no big deal, I am just being silly for worrying so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Try not to let some of the posts scare you. Keep in mind that more people start posts when they are having problems, not when they are doing well.

If you feel led to have the surgery and trust your doctor then you should go with that. Everyone is different. I had few minor complications and am doing wonderfully now! I do not regret my decision one bit!

Look for the positive posts and replies. Yes, there is potential for problems and many women have severe issues but, I'd say, for the most part it's a positive thing.

Unread 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM

That is exactly what I am hearing too, that it is no big deal. Maybe I have to much time to analize everything. My husband thinks it is the end to the bleeding, my mother in law had one she said "it is the best thing she ever did." I am so afraid of the "unknown." I wish there was a guarantee, that everything would be ok. I know what I deal with now, bleeding, pain due to fibroids, and the "mass" on my ovary, but I know how good sex is, and I know I am not crazy, I worry about my mental state if I loose my last remaining ovary, or if I get to keep it and it goes to"sleep." I wished I knew what the "right" thing is to do...
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:30 PM

There is no one right thing....only what's right for you. If you pray about it, you will get the answer you need. I struggled over it for 3 months but it was, like your mother-in-law said, the best thing I ever did.

Unread 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM

As I sit here in pain wondering why this is so hard for me to make up my mind, I am thankful I have some where to vent my worries... Thx Ladies
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:36 PM

MsCookie -

Hysterectomy is considered an elective surgery in most cases so this means it is up to you and you have to be totally sure with your decision because you can't put things back in after the surgery.

Many women here have started with less invasive procedures in order to get make sure that when they get to the hysterectomy they know they've done everything they can.

Since you don't have a surgery date yet I am going to move you over to the Alternatives and Options forum so that others can give you infomration that might assist you in making the decision.

Also make sure that you check out the information in these areas because they can help you make the decision:

Hysterectomy Options
Hysterectomy Alternatives

Good luck in finding the answer that works for you.

G.
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Despite what you might read it is not an easy decision or an easy surgery. It is a major decision to have a hysterectomy. Then the decision to keep or remove the cervix and ovary or ovaries. Then we need to decide what approach is best for us. Some many choices, with the exception of a cancer diagnoses a hysterectomy is a choice an elective surgery. Thankfully we do have the choice and options. None of these options should be taken lightly and we each need to decide what is the best decision for us. Along with when is the best time. The only way we can do this is through research and educating ourselves. This website is such a great resource but we need to be mindful when reading posts. Sometimes views are bias because often women without issues do not post so we do not always get the full picture.
Only you can decide because you are the one who lives with the outcome. Whether you have complications or not. Whether all your issues are resolved or not. Whether you have hormonal or menopausal issues post op. Whether it is or is not the best decision you ever made.
Keep in mind many of us have been where you are now and understand how difficult the process is. I felt similar to you but with research and questions and many hours reading the articles and threads on hystersisters I made my decisions. I was nervous but I knew the decisions I made were the best for me at that time. Given time you will also come to realize what will be best for you. Good luck in the process. Always remember you are not alone you have thousands of sisters supporting you, ready to listen to your concerns day or night.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register