TAH advice please - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH advice please TAH advice please

Unread 07-16-2007, 04:41 AM
TAH advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan
Hi everyone from the UK (and all hystersisters worldwide)

I'm originally from West Yorkshire and now live in Cornwall. I am expecting my date for a TAH at the beginning of September.

Can someone give me some advice please? I'm a bit worried about how much I will be able to do after I come home from the hospital. My TAH is for a single massive fibroid that will require an incision from belly button down to pubic bone as it's not suitable for a horizontal incision. Reading through this site, it seems that bed rest is the form after surgery, is this true and for roughly how long? I can't bear the thought of being in bed for more than the week I'll be in hospital!

Thanks
Pagan
Hi Pagan
I'm in London
Had TAH (horizontal) incision 3 weeks ago today and am feeling great. Came home day 4 post op heeded the advice and just took things really easy. Found that my body told me when to get back on the bed. Yes its boring but think of the long term results. Made sure I had loads of mini projects lined up. Reading, sewing etc. Still taking it easy and spend a lot of time on the sofa but can at least potter about and do light bits now without any problems.
Good luck
Salan27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2007, 05:00 AM
TAH advice please

Hello Pagan,

The worst moments for me? Recovery. I woke up, terrified, in severe pain, and having the nurse yell at me that I can't have any more pain relief until I am in the room! I was not prepared for the sharp pain at the incision site. It is unlike any pain I have ever endured. A slicing pain is how I would describe it. If I were you, and it is available in Britain, I would ask for the Q tip pain relief device. It is a portable pump that squirts numbing pain reliever in the incision area. From what I have read here it is a wonderful thing to have! I never got it, in fact, my hospital doesn't even offer it. SIGH. See if you guys have it there!

At home, the bowels were the most of my issues. I am just now finally back to normal. The gas pains, the not being able to 'go' were my worst moments. Stock up on gas relieving meds and drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fiber!!

Sleeping on my back was difficult. You would think it would be the most comfortable position...(I had a horizontal cut) but it felt 'tight' and felt caved in. Don't know how to explain it. I can sleep on my back fine now, but those first few weeks, forget it!

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted on your recovery!!
Unread 07-16-2007, 05:45 AM
TAH advice please

I had a spinal & was awake during surgery. I had no pain whatsoever the first 24 hours, & it was easy to stay ahead of it. The bowel issues are what I remember being the hardest to tolerate on the evening of day 1. Once the IV was out, the meds by mouth were given at intervals that kept ahead of the pain. I have to say, it's something that has faded from my memory already, so it may seem uncomfortable at the time, but you'll get through it. I found that the anxiety I had before the surgery was much worse than the pain & recovery afterwards. It's just that fear of not knowing what to expect. Focus on getting out of bed & walk, walk, walk and you will recover better & alleviate some of the bowel issues.

Leopard fanatic
TAH/BSO
Unread 07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
TAH advice please

Pagan,

I think that you are going to do really well. You seem to have a good attitude about the matter and that is what really counts. I remember thinking that I was approaching this big decision all alone, but I have received so much support from family and friends. Some of them of were aware and had first hand experience while others just had compassion to be there for a friend. It either case, it had made the journey of recovery very pleasant.

Leopard fanatic states it very well..." let everyone around you know that you are to be pampered no matter what!!!!" You will feel so great and believe you are ready to conquer the world, but your body internally will be the true judge.

The best to you!
Unread 07-18-2007, 12:21 AM
TAH advice please

Hi Pagan,
My cut is the same as what you describe as going to have. I requested no staples but sutures and dr used steri-strip tape instead to hold incision togehter. Was in hospital for 4 days - on night of surgery once back in room got out of bed to go to bathroom but felt sick. By next afternoon realized that they were giving me pain meds in IV every 6 hrs. on top of the pump where you push to get your own. I had to request that they stop because I wasn't pushing pump for pain meds myself. Once they stopped I stopped feeling like I was dizzy and going to vomit by just moving or eating. Walked hospital floor, got up to go to bathroom on own, etc.

At home no pain meds (I haven't taken any but DH filled prescriptions because he was afraid I might have some pain and not have anything). Have room setup with laptop, cell phone, house phone, etc. At first could only lay on back but now can lay on right side. Was feeling great first 2 weeks but after that I've gone into modes of getting tired and having to go back to bed, otherwise I'm up and in the living room watching tv in there in recliner chair and being on computer and eating. When gets too bad (tired) I go to bed and sit propped on pillows and watch tv and get on laptop.

I'm taking easy --no stairs!! I go out front door and walk through yard to get to basement and avoid stairs. Not doing any lifting of anything over weight of frying pan (as is mentioned on this site under do's/don'ts I think). Still not driving - tried 1 day last week (short 15-30 min) and was completely wiped out -- didn't get out of car either. Will drive next week to dr office.

Just take it easy when you get home from surgery and do what your body tells you to. When it feels like everything is GREAT -- don't do it just still take it easy and rest and no heavy lifting because we have tons of internal stitches that need to heal and in case your dr doesn't tell you right off (mine didn't) we have stitches in vaginal area (cuff) that need to heal too and I was told would be 90 days for that one cause of the type of sutures they used.

Don't try to push yourself too hard. Make sure you heal right the first time.

Don't worry. It was a breeze compared to what all I had imagined and all the pain meds I thought I would need. I was really amazed that I was off of all meds on 2nd day in hospital BUT on day 3 hit really bad with gas pains and GAS-X is what you'll want to make sure you get/are given. Really helps!

Keep us informed.
Unread 07-18-2007, 12:52 AM
TAH advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan
Hi everyone from the UK (and all hystersisters worldwide)

I'm originally from West Yorkshire and now live in Cornwall. I am expecting my date for a TAH at the beginning of September.

Can someone give me some advice please? I'm a bit worried about how much I will be able to do after I come home from the hospital. My TAH is for a single massive fibroid that will require an incision from belly button down to pubic bone as it's not suitable for a horizontal incision. Reading through this site, it seems that bed rest is the form after surgery, is this true and for roughly how long? I can't bear the thought of being in bed for more than the week I'll be in hospital!

Thanks
Pagan
I had a TAH/BSO (huge fibroids) on June 28 and had a bikini cut. (I'm 56 and 5 years post-menopause.) My biggest challenge was that my incision opened up the day (day 3) I was leaving the hospital, so my husband had to pack it for 3 days until we saw the dr. on day 5 and she said I just had to clean it a couple times a day and keep it covered. It was rather uncomfortable and took up a lot of my energy. It's looking much better today.

Just read everything you can on this website and prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I tried to get off the narcotic pain pills ASAP since they nauseated me and they slow down bowel function. Just take everything your doc tells you to, like anti-gas meds and stool softeners, etc. I got around better than I thought and took everything I was supposed to, except I delayed the stool softeners and boy, was I sorry! Try to get walking as soon as you can. Exercise really helps the healing process. Sleep whenever you feel like it.

Have plenty ot DVDs to watch. I'm able to get on the internet, but reading was difficult until today, I just couldn't concentrate. Don't overdo it and DO NOT do any housework. Try and get everything cleaned and organized before you go. Also, ask friends and relatives to bring dinners for a week or two, unless you have someone who will cook for you.

One thing I haven't read is to do some upper body strength exercises. It will make it easier to hoist yourself in and out of bed! Also, the best chair to have at home is a wooden one with arms. You can lower and raise yourself in and out of it by supporting yourself on the chair arms with your arms. Soft, upholstered chairs are hard to get out of.

You'll make it! Best wishes!
Unread 07-18-2007, 04:14 AM
TAH advice please

I THINK i am in a little depression here. I have so much on my plate with the surgery pending, my son leaving for afganistan, work. and home.I don't know if I CAN DO THIS. I know I will feel better when it is all done and the bleeding stops. I hope.Is it normal to be depressed. Aug 23rd can't come soon enough.thanks for listening and letting me vent.
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:53 AM
TAH advice please

I had a TAH on the 16th and was sent home the 17th in the afternoon. You have to get up and walk around. That's very important. But it hurts to get up and it hurts to go back down but it's part of the process.

Good luck to you.

I had two large fibroids removed as well as everything else.
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM
TAH advice please

your body will tell you when to slow down. Although I was given permission to drive after 1 week I only drove very short distances. Don't lift ANYTHING. get as much help as you can at home and remember, tomorrow is another day and whatever you don't feel up to doing today you'll do another time. I am a teacher and because I went at the beginning of the summer I had 10 weeks to really recover. most women won't need that much time. i had an enormous fibroid uterus and a vertical incision as well. I did extremely well recovery wise, and i was pretty sedentary before the surgery. i am certainly not an exercise freak but now if I want to take a long walk there is NO PROBLEM. before it was like dragging another person around internally.

The danger is that after a week or two you aren't hurting anymore so you think everything is back to normal. do not be fooled. your insides need alot of time to heal. Your stomach may not be normal for some time. I am amazed by the sister who posted above about take out Chinese shortly after surgery. I LOVE Chinese but couldn't handle it for many weeks, or anything else for that matter. half a sandwich or a little soup, lots of fluids, and that was it. the other benefit was a ten pound weight loss!!

Good luck Pagan...you will do much better than you expect to!!

Love, Ruthie
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM
TAH advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejewel
I THINK i am in a little depression here. I have so much on my plate with the surgery pending, my son leaving for afganistan, work. and home.I don't know if I CAN DO THIS. I know I will feel better when it is all done and the bleeding stops. I hope.Is it normal to be depressed. Aug 23rd can't come soon enough.thanks for listening and letting me vent.
I feel for you. I was crawling the walls for a few weeks before. I have a DD who is causing us great grief, but not as serious as going to war. Thank your son for his service and bless you in your trials. I nearly walked out of the hospital while waiting for the op because they were running late! You will make it through and you will feel great relief. The recovery can be up and down, it's not linear. You'll have gooe days and then some set-backs. Just read everything you can on this site.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register