get operation or keep belly ball? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

get operation or keep belly ball? get operation or keep belly ball?

Unread 09-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Re: get operation or keep belly ball?

I am almost 5 weeks post op and so happy I had the procedure (LSH). I passed through my first "no period" cycle (kept ovaries) and loved it. My uterus was 16 week size and starting to interfere with bowels and bladder. I also felt like I waddled when I walked. One of my big concerns was all the travel I do, having a heavy, painful period when on a trip made life miserable. What pushed me over the edge for the surgery was ending up in the ER after getting off a plane. I'd lost enough blood to become anemic and pass out. So scared!!! Now I am looking forward to my new life. I had a great doctor and the LSH procedure was perfect for me. I think once you learn more the decision will just come to you. My prayers are with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Happyzen, my main concern for you would be that the fibroid is likely going to continue to grow and at some point you may not have a choice as to whether or not to have it removed. I wanted to "wait and see" if I could make it to menopause, but then after the fibroid had been stable in size for 3 years, it suddenly doubled and my symptoms kept getting worse. Thats when I was ready. I knew it would likely keep growing and I felt at that point that I was only putting off the inevitable. I had an LSH 2 weeks ago and am really glad I did.
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM

i think youre right neurotic. I discovered this thing in May of this year - after I just felt something was not right - and since then i feel it has grown. yeah I'm gonna do it, I'm pretty sure....it is nerve-wracking though - waiting and the imagination.....but faith is sometimes all we have, or need. I have faith in my doctors and nurses and god. thank you all - I'm gonna keep coming back here for the support, because I need it! and the good advice. Much better to hear from people in your shoes than a dry website with dry info only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2010, 10:42 AM

I had a textbook surgery and recovery so have not posted as much as sisters who have had problems. My GYN was very thorough and had bases covered for every contingency, some of which she told me post op. She removed 7lbs of fibroids and I feel so much better. They were pushing against everything else, breathing is easier, drinking is easier, and my bladder is so much more comfortable. I am post menopausal (went into it early about 10 years ago) and the suckers had decided to grow anyway- they can make their own estrogen the clever devils. So if yours are like mine were you might end up with larger ones to deal with later, even if that goes against the odds.
Unread 09-27-2010, 10:58 AM

hmmm. it is surprising they can get such a big fibroid via Lapro? I thought one as big as mine (14 cm) - had to be done via abdominals? I REALLY appreciate everyone's repsonses - as the day get nearer i will read and reread this and other threads trying to keep my cool. pre-Op appt is this friday 10/1/10. I think I have 3 pages of questions for my Dr.!
Unread 09-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks for your post Happyzen. My TAH is next Wednesday and I keep asking myself if this is the right thing to do. I have 3 fibroids of about 4cm each (much smaller than yours) and I have some bladder & bowel issues with them also. My belly protrudes a little also and it never did prior to my fibroid diagnosis. I have minimal pain with them, but very heavy periods, but only for about 4 days of it. I also have spotting throughout the month and regular menstral type cramps often. My symptoms seem so minor compared to the pain and constant bleeding that others on this site endure. I thought I would do the wait and see game (I'm 49 yrs old) also, but decided that my quality of life is not what I want it to be simply because of these dang fibroids. Another thing to consider is that if you wait for menopause and the fibroids shrink and then for some other reason you need to go on HRT, the fibroids will start growing again. For me, I feel that it's just delaying the inevitable by waiting and although I must have the abdominal hyst instead of a less invasive method, it's the right decision for me.
I'm going to talk to my doctor this week about doing the spinal with something added to keep me out of it, but without the morphine also. I hate the feeling of coming out of anesthesia and know that the spinal works great for me (2 prior C-sections).
I love this site!
Unread 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Happyzen, they use a tool called a morcellator during surgery. It cuts up the fibroid and it is suctioned up a small tube in little pieces until it is all gone. Maybe that's what your doc had planned? My first doctor said TAH because my uterus and fibroid were too big to remove laparoscopically- actually my doc does not perform lap surgery, so I got a second opion and the 2nd doc said he would use that morcellator- still had chance to convert to TAH secondary to old c-section and possibly too many adhesions, but he was able to clean out the adhesions and do the whole surgery laparoscopically. Hooray!
Unread 09-27-2010, 11:13 AM

hmmm. I think it is up to me whether I get Lap or SAH - and I was leaning for SAH because I get the idea the operation is easier and faster - I know recovery is longer but I'm Ok with a longer recovery I am mostly concerned about an easier operation w/ less complications - get it all done in one fell swoop.
Unread 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Actually I think the lap surgeries have a lower complication rate mostly due to decreased blood loss, smaller incisions which decreases risk for infections etc., The time difference in performing the surgery is pretty minimal. Also the recovery is significantly shorter! Hope this helps.
Unread 09-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Happyzen,

To keep the fibroid filled belly or to have the surgery is totally your decision as you have to live with whatever decision you make. However, pls keep in mind that until you hit menopause, your fibroids could grow larger. My fibroid is 21 cm and I only wish I knew I had this in me years ago cuz I would have done something sooner. I have the huge belly-balll; constant urination; fatigue (these suckers feed off our blood supply) and hemorraghing of which I don't want anymore. For me, I want to have the TAH surgery but unfortunately I have another medical complication which was discovered one day before my original surgery date and so I am working with the hospital to resolve this first. I wish you the best with whatever you decide is best for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register