2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling really down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling really down 2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling really down

Unread 01-22-2017, 03:33 PM
2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling really down

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I kept my ovaries. I am normally a very active person - on the go all the time. Of course the surgery has left me inactive compared to my life before. I am starting to feel really down and frustrated- crying all the time! I have struggled with severe depression in the past, and I don't want to go down that road again. Is the crying and feeling down normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Re: 2 weeks post op and feeling really down

Hi Jen. I felt exactly the same after my surgery. I thought I would be so happy to be finished with surgery. I had a 9 lb fibroid removed that was severely affecting my life. However I cried daily after my surgery for almost two weeks. I only started to feel better once I started to get out of the house even if just for a short walk. For me, I think my sadness came from a number of things: pain meds, anesthesia and isolation. I encourage you to get out of the house if you can. Please talk to your doc if your sadness doesn't get better soon.
Unread 01-23-2017, 05:34 AM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling really down

Hi. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I had my an abdominal hysterectomy on January 5th as well. I have my ups and downs but for the most part I just keep myself busy praying, watching television, reading or just walking around my house. I have a dog too so he keeps me entertained. I haven't left the house since I came home from the hospital. I may start taking short drives by the end of the week. I will say a prayer for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2017, 02:57 PM

I've had a few bouts of weeping tgat I couldn't help. I have a very full house of people, they keep me busy. how is your support network at home ? I agree getting out helps if you are able. please let your Dr know if this continues or worsens ((hugs))
Unread 01-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Thank you all for your responses and support. I live alone,so that makes things more difficult. I do have family that live close, but they are not there all the time.
Unread 01-24-2017, 12:38 AM

Hello, I have struggled with severe depression off and on my whole life, and I'm also feeling pretty down after my hysterectomy.

In addition to my predisposition, my theory is that it's a combination of exhaustion from surgery and healing, not seeing many people the last few weeks, and bad weather, coupled with the fact that I've got one ovary left and it's probably asleep. All together it's a pretty bad combo for me, I just don't care about anything that's going on right now. To combat, I've been making sure I eat and drink well, shower regularly, and get up and walk around when I can, especially if it means going outside.

Even if you kept your ovaries, they might be asleep from shock, so that can definitely be a factor.

Definitely rest up and move when you can, but if it persists, it's pretty common after any surgery, and your doctor will be able to help you find something that works.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register