Uterus the size of a watermelon | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterus the size of a watermelon Uterus the size of a watermelon

Unread 03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Uterus the size of a watermelon

I'm new here still & a "princess-in-waiting". I am having a TAH (plus ovaries) on March 17 and I'm starting to get nervous. My uterus is so enlarged with so many fibroids that it is the size of a watermelon - higher than my belly button. I look like I'm 4 months pregnant. Is anyone else out there in pre-op land experiencing the same thing? Or has someone been through this already and can give a few words of reassurance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Re: Uterus the size of a watermelon

I had an SAH (Supra-cervical hysterectomy) four months ago and I am doing absolutely awesome. My uterus was the size of a football by the time they took it out. I opted to keep my cervix and my ovaries. You may want to find out why your doctor wants to take your ovaries since it will put you into menopause unless he is proposing hormone replacement therapy. Even so, your own natural (and free) hormones are better than ones you can buy and ovaries continue to produce low levels of hormones even after menopause. Your doctor may have a very good reason why he/she wants them out but I would advise you to do your own research so that you are comfortable with that decision. Once they are out, you can't put them back.
As to the operation itself, the nurses and doctors are very good at making you comfortable and making sure that your pain level is something you can handle. Don't be shy and try to tough it out. If you hurt, let them know. I was very lucky not to have any pain aside from pulling from the incision when I moved.
One trick that my doctor's resident passed along was to plan when you were going to sit up, stand up or whatever movement is needed. Take a deep breath, and as you move, breathe out. Apparently the muscles can't tighten up when you breathe out and the soreness is greatly diminished.
The other big item that I learned on here was to get a tummy pillow. I used a very small handmade pillow that was probably about 8 by 12 inches. That pillow proved to be invaluable in bed, when sitting and in the car.
I hope that I have helped a little bit.
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:32 PM

G'day .. I'm new too - having a TAH (keeping ovaries) on Tues March 8th. My GYN said my uterus is enlarged to the size of a woman who is approx 4-5 months pregnant.

I have been saying to doctors for the past 5 years that there is something really wrong with the size of my tummy aside from the fact that I almost pass out when mother nature calls every month with heavy clotting periods and pain like I am giving birth.

I am as nervous as hell - my hubby is wonderful and helping me focus on what's needed BEFORE I go to hospital. Things are made worse because while I am recovering HE has to move house for us and I will be 4 hours away at my parents recovering while he does it all !!

Anyway .. only 2 more sleeps until my surgery .. just wish I could fast forward a couple of weeks .. my brain is on overload and has no clue what to do next ... oh yes ... finish my cuppa and brush my teeth!! lol

See you on the other side!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Just like Danni I had an SAH four months ago and I am doing GREAT.
I have new life without pain and bleeding - and I have a FLAT stomach now. I looked pregnant too,and was always tired and out of breath.

Take it EASY during your recovery and remember it can really take up to a year for a "full" recovery.

Good luck and God bless
My fibroids weighed almost 5 pounds and were WAY above my belly button too. The pain and discomfort after the surgery were worth the way I feel and look now.

My surgery was about 4 hours and I felt pretty good when I woke up. There was some brief nasuea and they gave me something that stopped it immediately.
Unread 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM

My Uterus was basically 6 months pregnant. My EXCELLENT gyn surgeon took it out via Davinci in a 5 hour surgery. At just over 2 weeks I keep reminding myself to slow down because I had surgery. She did an incredible job. I was off narcodics within 3 days and any kind of Tylenol/Advil within a week.

Keep in mind, I am extremely athletic and eat a very "clean" non-processed food diet. I do think that has done something to my ability to heal. My only real problems with recovery were gas related.
Unread 06-01-2011, 07:18 AM

My uterus was the size of a cantalope melon and with another fibroid on top of it pushing down on my bladder.
I had 2 c-sections 20 years ago and thought I would be ready for it but this was a total different experience.
Considering the post-op pain, the nausea, limited movement and the time to heal, it definitely outweighs the monthly periods every 15 to 20 days, anemia, blood clots, discharge and the cramps related to the fibroids.
I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and slowly getting my strength and life back. I am exactly 1 week post-op and already see a difference.
Hope everything goes well for you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register