Less than a month ago . . . | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Less than a month ago . . . Less than a month ago . . .

Unread 03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Less than a month ago . . .

I was going in for a routine annual exam with the complaint that my period were getting quite heavy and "clotty" and I'd had some serious cramping, which I'd never experienced before.

Mom had fibroids in her breast, her mom had ones on her ovaries. . . don't know if uterine fibroids would be classified as family history from that or not . . . but I have never been diagnosed with them.

My PCP noted that my uterus was quite enlarged and send me for an ultrasound, basically with the expectation we'd see some fibroids and be able to monitor the symptoms and their growth from here.

The ultrasound results returned with them recommending an MRI, because there was a prominent mass, partially cystic, possibly fibroid, but they weren't willing to make a diagnosis. My ovaries could not be seen.

So the next week, here comes the MRI. Again, prominent mass, taking up a majority of the pelvic area, heavily vascular on the wall of the uterus, but still not willing to call it a fibroid. Recommend gynecological consult. My ovaries STILL could not be seen. (Alien abduction maybe?!? )

Yesterday, met with the gynecologist. She reviews all of the test results, holds her hands up to try to give me a visual of the size of the thing (looks like she's holding a honeydew melon), does a physical exam where she physically mashes on the thing (whom I have named Squishy) and it freakin' HURTS. (And continues to hurt today.)

Her opinion, too big, bad and vascular to cut out by itself, recommends hysterectomy, transabdominal because of the bleeding issues, and she wants to have the pathology report back before she closes me up (15 minute wait in this case) so that the gynecological oncologist can make a call if it comes back cancerous. Another reason for hysterectomy is to get it out encased in the uterus so if it is cancerous, they haven't just spilled little cancer Squishies all over my insides.

So in the space of a month I've gone from slight complaints and a routine PAP smear to scheduling the removal of a bodily organ. (Ovaries to stay intact except if cancerous.)

To say my head is spinning would be an understatement.

This morning, I scheduled a second opinion and have read many, many stories and options.

I've also thought back to all the times I chalked up abdominal pain, having to always go to the bathroom, and bouts of severe fatigue, to other things.

(To be honest, I'm hoping the second opinion matches the first so it doesn't make my head explode. )

Between the size of this thing and the reluctance of ANYONE to come out and say, this is just a fibroid makes me very uneasy.

Add to that the scheduler calling today for surgery and indicating the doctor wanted it sooner than later, and here I am, hoping to find some peace of mind.

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Re: Less than a month ago . . .

Hi there,

It's amazing how quickly our lives can change.

I hope everything goes well for you and that the second opinion helps to give you peace of mind before your op.

Good luck
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:22 PM

You have come to the right place to share and receive support and learn, learn, learn!

Sounds like what you are going through is very scary and has probably taken over your mind at this point. The thought of a hysterectomy and the fear of cancer is more than overwhelming.

Once you have had the second opinion and can hopefully come to terms with this life-changing situation, I hope you can find some peace with whatever you decide.

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor 1,000 questions if you need to. I definitely didn't ask enough because I really didn't know WHAT to ask. I learned so much on Hystersisters after surgery. I realized just how clueless I was about what they hysterectomy really meant, dealing with surgical menopause, recovery, etc.

I wish you the best and am sending you big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2011, 05:36 PM

You seem to be handling it like a champ. Make sure to have morning coffee with a close friend to keep those spirits up!

You really seem like you are on the right track. The second opinion is definately the right choice. Like you said even if the outcome is the same another set of eyes won't hurt.

In my case it was the best move I made even if ultimately I end up having a hysterectomy.

If I could truly offer one more piece of advice. Get yourself a little pocket calender (the cheap plastic ones for a buck are perfect) and keep it in your purse. Write down daily any new information related to this. Your cycle. Pain levels. Tampon/ Pad usage. Clots and size. Also list all your doc appts. I then use the back of the calender to jot down notes from appts and keep a running tab of what procedure I had done and when.

I am just over a year into it and I cannot tell you how many times I have to tell the same thing over and over and it is sure nice to have the information. I had actually forgot about a complete surgery until I looked at my notes. It has been my lifesaver. In the begining I would go in with a list of questions and right down the answers because the information was so overwhelming. You can just put some scratch paper folded up in the calender plastic flap.

Good luck to ya and make sure you truly feel comfortable about your decisions and have a doc you trust completely that way you won't look back and question your decisions because you are confident you thought it through.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register