Unhappy with Doc's Options | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unhappy with Doc's Options Unhappy with Doc's Options

Unread 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Unhappy with Doc's Options

Basically all choices suck. And I am going to a new Dr/Surgeon in March for another opinion since this guy went from telling me a hyster was best to being very wishy washy. Also, he doesn't do the lesser invasive surgeries.

But these were his options...

1. Ibuprofen/Narcotics
Um, no thanks. Not long term. I read that NSAIDS can increase a person's risk of heart attack or stroke by 50%. Take 800 mgs every 8 hours for several days each month does not sound like a plan to me. And narcotics? Forget about it.

2. Watch and Wait
I am 39. 80% of my life I feel like absolute crap. I don't know how much more waiting I can handle. And ultrasounds every 6 months would be a huge pain and very expensive.

3. BC Pills/Nuvaring/Progesterone
In my 20s I tried many different BC pills and they all had horrible effects on me. I am VERY sensitive to pills - esp hormones. I also have a history of depression and anxiety. AND I have a huge phobia about blood clots. I would be in constant panic mode. Talk about quality of life. Yuck.

4. IUD
I had a cone biopsy which left very little cervix. Chances are, this would not work well. But he said we could 'try'. Ugh. With the side effects I have read about and the chance it could just fall out...blarg.

5. Ablation/Endomyometrial Resection
My fibroid is on the inside of my uterine wall. During our first appt he said ablation would likely not work and that a myomectomy def would not work. Why he would want to waste time on this, I have no idea.

6. Embolization/MRI or CT Ultrasound Ablation
He acted really weird about these and said there are really only 2 Drs in the area that are qualified for these procedures. He didn't seem to have much confidence or info about them either.

7. Hysterectomy
Obvious worries...prolapse, surgical risks, sexual dysfunctions, incontinence, etc...

I keep going back and forth. I mean it seems clear to me that REALLY my options are to have the surgery and hope I end up happier and healthier but risk feeling even worse. Or do nothing and continue leading a very lame and unfulfilled life.

Like I said....all options just suck. This makes me really depressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I would definitely find a doctor you feel more confident about. HUGS
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:27 PM

I can tell from your post that you're really frustrated. It does sound like a second opinion is called for.

Naproxen doesn't have the same risks as ibuprofen, as far as the cardiovascular risks. I've taken naproxen daily for more than a year with no bad effects other than increased sweating.

I had a lot of trouble with different birth control pills. I'm taking progesterone now because my choice was either bleed out or take the medicine. The one I'm on says that it can cause diabetes in some people. Coincidentally, my sugar was high on the presurgery bloodwork I had to have done, and I'm waiting to find out Thursday if I have diabetes. I asked my doctor if it could be from the medication and he said definitely not But I can understand why you don't want to take pills with hormones.

I hope you get something figured out and that the doctor you're seeing in March knows more about how to help you than the doctor you've been seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure the recommended treatment per the gynecological society is myomectomy for someone your age. It requires expertise and skills the average gyn is incapable of performing which is why he does not recommend it. Embolization or UFE was an excellent alternative for my intramural 9 cm fibroid. It is performed by an interventional radiologist. Downtime and costs are minimal. It was a life saver for me. There are support groups, chats and search tools to gain more info.
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:40 PM

So the UFE completely helped your situation? Was it difficult to find someone to do the procedure? Was it painful?
Unread 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM

I had excessive bleeding and bulk symptoms. It helped in every way. My uterus diminished from 22 weeks to 13 weeks size in 3 months. The fibroid died immediately. Scar tissue is left behind that the body gradually absorbs. I'm a member of a large server support group and the majority of us are thrilled with our results. Google interventional radiologist physician finder and a search tool should be found. I live in a small community and found several who performed the procedure. I read the web sites, chose one to consult with and had it done. It completely helped my situation. The first 4 days are the most painful because the fibroid begins to die immediately causing cramps and nausea for some. My IR took an aggressive approach to pain mgmt, most do, and I honestly felt very little discomfort but my periods were horrific. It was not as bad as that. I gloated with every cramp. I hated that fibroid.
Unread 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM

Hope you come to a decision you are comfortable with soon.Took me about 4 years.Even had a consult with a IR.She thought I would have a great outcome even with multiple fibroids,in,out and every where.In the end did not go with that because of stories about non shrinkage,fibroids finding new blood supply,new fibroids etc.Trust me,I was petrified of even the word hysterectomy but I knew something had to be done.
Unread 02-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Anything is possible. There have been two cases in my support group after Ufe where a hysterectomy resulted however with a good IR odds of a successful outcome is favored. Why choose the most invasive approach first? Rarely do fibroids grow back after UFE. This is a concern after a myo. New blood supplies can develop but usually old blood supplies are missed. My IR was very detailed. He tediously blocked multiple blood vessels on my right side taking an hour longer than average because my problem was worse on that side. We are lit up so the flows are easily seen. Interventional radiology is an advanced science. Often doctors will poo poo UFE because they don,t want to lose the source of revenue or they are not current to its effectiveness. Notice all he recommended he was capable of performing. I'm so happy with my results!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register