Scheduled TLH Scared to have the Flu prior to hysterectomy 3/4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to have the Flu prior to hysterectomy 3/4 Scared to have the Flu prior to hysterectomy 3/4

Unread 02-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Scared to have the Flu prior to hysterectomy 3/4

Does anyone else worry during this time of the year to become such with the flu or bad cold/cough? Would anyone know what the rules are if you are sick? Can the surgery still take place? I'm due to go in March 4th and am more nervous about this. I've had 3 light panick attacks. Also, I work at a school where kids are all coughing and sneezing. I think I will stay home my 2 work days to avoid the risk. Any advice? Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2016, 12:45 AM
Re: Scared to have the Flu prior to

I was scared about getting sick before I had mine Jan 22 and even tho in 5 weeks post op I still worry about getting sick. Start drinking orange juice everyday once a day to twice a day that's what I did before mine and I occasionally still drink it. I don't know if they will still do the surgery or not I was told if I got sick before my surgery I was to call my surgeon and let her know to see if it could still happen. Good luck
Unread 02-28-2016, 08:11 AM

The number one thing you can do to prevent getting sick before your surgery is to wash your hands regularly, with either soap and water, or an alcohol based sanitizer. Also avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, because those are the easiest ways for cold and flu viruses to enter your body. Also stay at least 9 feet away from people who are coughing, sniffling or sneezing, and regularly disinfect high-risk surfaces; that includes door handles, your computer keyboard and mouse, your mobile devices, and your TV remote. To strengthen your immune defense, ask your surgeon about taking probiotics, or zinc lozenges. Also increase your zinc intake, from foods like oysters, lean beef, dark meat poultry, and nuts and seeds. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2016, 11:55 AM

I had flu and bronchitis in December for two weeks and it was awful. There was no way I could have had my surgey at that time.

I did have surgery last Friday on 2/26. I had to have lab work done and I felt extremely uncomfortable as there were so many people sick. I remember I got up and moved as there were to seats next to me and two people sat down next to me with a bad cough.

This was last Tuesday so I went home and took a shower and felt better.

If you do have the time since you work around children, I would do it.

I had to wait 4 months for my surgey date and I would be beyond upset if it had to have been rescheduled.

Good luck 🍀
Unread 02-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Re: Scared to have the Flu prior to hysterectomy 3/4

Thank you so much for your replies! I seem to be very nervous making me more prone to becoming sick. I started with sandpaper throat and now it's a ticklish throat occasionally coughing. No fever... I think I should call the doctor right? I've waited three months for this Friday. What do you think?
Unread 02-28-2016, 04:47 PM

I work in daycare, and two weeks before my surgery I caught a terrible cold. I had never called out of work in my five years there.m, but I did for this. Stayed home for two days to test and recover. It's hard when working with children to fully prevent getting sick. We wash our hands, the children's hands, we sanitize toys and all surfaces. But still stuff happens. Take some vitamin C and or maybe emergen C.
Hope things go well and see you in the other side.
Unread 02-28-2016, 10:57 PM

I work in a public building exposed to thousands of people in close proximity everyday and prior to my surgery, I was VERY paranoid about becoming sick before surgery and having to postpone. My Dr and hospital was very clear about the canceling surgery even for a runny nose. Fortunately, I made it without sickness by just being proactive as others have mentioned. Wash hands regularly, disinfectant wipes and sprays (carry in my purse travel size), vitamins, etc. I have children so I understand they are little viral carrier monkeys lol. Unfortunately, I caught a cold in the hospital after surgery and was stuck with fever and an awful cough. Coughing hours, days, or weeks after surgery sucks. Just be proactive and take care of yourself the same as you will following surgery. Treat yourself and health #1. Perhaps, clorox wipes can be helpful around the kids? Good luck and hugs!
Unread 02-29-2016, 10:14 AM

I am a teacher too and understand your fear of getting sick before your surgery. I was VERY careful once I was given my date. As others have said, wash your hands frequently. Keep hand sanitizer at your desk for you only (kids don't touch things on my desk), hand sanitizer at the sink in your room & by the door for kids to use. I also bought a disinfectant spray & sprayed the door knobs & phone daily (door knobs very frequently). Steer clear of sick colleagues...you know teachers...it's so much work to be gone that we frequently come in when we really should not. Keep up with your regular vitamins until just before your surgery when you may have to give them up. Whenever (only happened twice) I felt the slightest bit wonky, I would take the appropriate OTC medication for what I was feeling for a few days. Finally stay away from shared foods outside of your family setting...you never know who has/hasn't washed hands & grabbed then put something back.

You probably think I am a "germaphobe" but I really am not...like you I just didn't want this surgery delayed anymore.

Good luck...stay well.
Unread 03-01-2016, 12:09 PM

So the Dutch hospital says that if one has a fever/ cough with mucus... That that would be a reason to postpone. Also, being short of breath would also be a sign to delay.
Two days before I walk in for my surgery.
Unread 03-01-2016, 12:32 PM

I started drinking a lot of orange juice before surgery. I also take Vitamin C supplement every day. Like others said, wash your hands, try to stay away from people who are visibly sick and make sure you are getting adequate nutrition and rest. I was worried about getting sick also before surgery. And I had to keep going to the doctor and hospital for all the pre-op stuff and that is where sick people are. Everything was fine though and surgery went on as planned!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register