Stressing about the housework!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stressing about the housework!! Stressing about the housework!!

Unread 01-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Stressing about the housework!!

I am really trying to get ecerything done before I go in. I would like the house to be as tidy as possible since I know that all sorts of family and friends will be in and out. Things like, cleaning up my desk and having a presentable frideg. Instead I can barely keep up with the usual stuff. It seems like DH doesn't get it. I really want everything done before I go in.

Did anyone else go through this or am I just taking my worries out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 09:54 PM

HI!
My goodness, most of us really understand where you are at the moment. It all involves the anxiety about having things in order, having the surgery, recovery, etc. My DH was great after the surgery but could not figure out why I was such a nut prior to surgery with all the details you are describing. I didn't have too much time to prepare/worry, so it was probably best for all of us. The doctor made the decision on 7/7 and surgery was 7/19.
Personal advice......do what you can....make lists......maybe do some cooking/freezing. I don't know what your family situation is (children, etc) and who will be helping you after the CASTLE. In the end, I was glad I did what I was able to do and we all survived from the experiences.
Blessings to you!
AMF

TAH/kept ovaries - 7/19/04 - adenomyosis,fibroid, heavy bleeding
FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Just to let you know, you are NOT alone. At home my bedroom is my castle...it is the only place "untouched" by kids and grands (they live with me)....I have been cleaning my bedroom like it is a crystal ball...because, like you, I know it is where I am going to be as well as where visitors will congregate!!! Can't take the pressure!!! I have even cleaned out all the bills/receipts from the night tables...in case....some one opens one, trying to "help" !!!

So You see, you are not alone.

The rest of the house my kids and grands will have to handle, while I am in the "sanity and recovery" of my bedroom. I have already started "practicing" with the kids today. I put a "Don't Knock" note on my door...it read

Don't Knock
No..You can't have waffles
No..You can't have toast
No..I don't need anything
Love Mommy/Granny

These are my kids favorite things to wake me with/ every weekend!! They got the first part right!

Scared. but looking forward to my date 1/24....I'll just keep cleaning, while I can!!!

AKJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 10:06 PM

Hello, I also am going nuts with, as my huband calls it "spring cleaning". I think I am trying to keep my mind off of things also and I like to do things MY way! But like my hubby says, I need to learn to let others help and just rest before my surgery. I am not a sit around kind of person either but I guess I will have to learn to slow down. Hope everything goes well for you.

Lindros Lover
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:32 PM

I was the same way before I went in. I wanted everything cleaned up and taken care of. Problem was, I could barely take care of myself, I was so worried and stressed. I got to the point that I rebelled against what I "should" be doing. Cleaning my toilet, dusting the living room, straightening up my guest bedroom just didn't matter anymore. All I wanted to do was sleep, watch cartoons, and talk to our sisters on this site. So I did just that. I got through work, school, errands, and doctor appointments during the day, but when I got home I did what I wanted to do, rather than what I should have done.

I live alone, but I do have my mother and her two sisters. In my family we need to "do" something in times like this. So I let them clean. Mom cleaned up my kitchen. Aunt Betty cleaned the bathroom, which ticked off Aunt Lorraine, because she wanted that room. All Aunt Lorraine could do was sit in the living room, which totally ticked her off. Funny, huh?

Anyway, my point is, it really doesn't matter. When you get down to the nitty gritty, the only thing that matters is YOU. Clean if you feel like it, but don't stress about it. Set your recovery room up and fill your pantry, fridge and freezer.

Before going into the hospital I found that Albertson’s had some great sales on soup. I got 10 large cans of Campbell's soup (multiple flavors) for $10. Actually I got 20 cans for $20. Then they had 10 cans of Progresso soup (multi flavors) for $10. I'm sure Raley's, Safeway, etc. have deals like that. Check around and look for the best deals. The first couple of weeks after my surgery that's all I would eat. It was nutritious, light, and comforting.

Take care!
Staci
Unread 01-09-2005, 04:36 AM

I am going through the same thing. I want everything prefect and so afraid that I won't have it all done by the 19th. My family is trying. Hang in there we will get through this with the support of our Hystersisters.
Unread 01-09-2005, 04:49 AM

Gosh I can really relate to this

I am cleaning and sorting out today like mad - until now although I've known there was a list of things to do, I've been so frozen with worry I haven't been able to do it. Today I seem to have woken up with a new spring in my step.

Yesterday sent DH out to do the weekly shop - he wanted to go! I normally do the main shop of the week and he tops up on his way home from work.

I sent him out with a list and he came back with only half the things on it and a whole load more that weren't! The look on my face must have said a lot as I unpacked in horror - he just wore this cheesy grin and was expecting praise!

I have visions of coming out of hospital to a house that has survived on junk food and biscuits, my three goldfish floating in their tank and the cats half starved!

Don't tell me to make a list he doesn't take any notice!

Thank goodness I have a cleaner come in once a week; she has already promised to keep an eye not only on the state of my house but on the state of the occupants and pets in my absence

Anyway must dash I have a house to clean and lunch to make, tho' goodness knows what with - anyone fancy a chocolate spread omlette?!!!
Unread 01-09-2005, 06:27 AM

I started cleaning a whole month before my surgery. I did major cleaning....(cleaning out closets, drawers, etc.) Like you, I knew my parents would be spending a great deal of time at my home and I am so anal about everything being neat and clean. It paid off. I have been home six days and haven't had too much to do because of all the preparations I made. I cooked soups and froze them in meal size containers. I stocked up on snacks, laundry detergent, toilet tissue, etc. It has truly made things easier.

I also did one other thing. I asked my parents to let the family know (I have a rather large one - 7 sets of aunts and uncles - lots of cousins) that I would be fine and they did not need to feel obligated to come see me right after surgery. If you really think about it, you don't want people coming to your home/hospital when you feel and look like you have been run over by a truck. I did the same for the hospital stay - I advised everyone to call my Dad's cell phone to check on me.....the hospital phone didn't ring off the hook, so I was able to get my rest. My family totally understood and I have been able to recuperate with only my immediate family around.

Just some ideas - hope this helps.

Good luck to you - you will be fine.

Unread 01-09-2005, 06:31 AM

I'm within my 30 days til surgery now, and I thought I was holding on to my nerves okay. Then I saw this commercial where someone is being put under in an operating room, and a wave of panic went through me. All I could think of was, "That's gonna be me!":run3: I managed to stifle a scream. Now, I'm up, looking at the house. DH started repairing some extensive leak damage in the bathroom yesterday, so everything is torn apart. (How 'bout this for a country song: My Toilet's In The Bathtub, And I Can't Find My Glasses" ? The oldest is home on 30-day leave from the Army, and his stuff is strewn all over. I looked out of the window, and thought about maybe getting a bulldozer to run across the yards, so then I could use the excuse that we were landscaping, so I could just start over, and not have to start raking. As you can see, I am having a tough time fighting the nerves. My family will probably be wanting to stuff a sock in my mouth or tie my up to a tree with a bowl of water before this is all over & done. All the sisters that have gone on to the castle are right: The waiting is the hardest part. I figure I have another period due, and I've started cramping almost three weeks from my "start "date. This will probably keep me grounded. I halfway hope that this will be a tough period. That way I'll be just short of camping out in front of the hospital, like a fan waiting for tickets in front of a stadium.

I just read this, and realized that I sound like a maniac. I am so sorry!!! This is just how my feeble brain is running this morning.
Thanks for listening to my tangents.

Janet
Unread 01-09-2005, 07:40 AM

Yes, I sure know how you all feel! I did what I could, but couldn't get all the Christmas decorations put away before I went to the castle and I was so upset about it as I wanted to come home to everything neat and normal. Well, ladies, I could have cared less that my house wasn't the way I wanted it when I came home and really don't care too much now! My dh is working like crazy to get the Christmas stuff put away and I'm directing him from the sofa. The house should be back in order by this afternoon. Don't wear yourselves out stressing over temporary house things....you'll need all your energy for recuperating!

Aimster

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register