Usage of Pre-op Suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Usage of Pre-op Suggestions Usage of Pre-op Suggestions

Unread 05-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Usage of Pre-op Suggestions

I have 6 days to go and am now practicing what I am reading on this site! My grocery list has had a few additions garnered from my morning reading on this site! The notepad I will take to the hosptial with me is also the one I am writing questions on to ask my doc and hospital staff. On the flip side of the notepad is where I will keep a journal of meds taken and times, and also my daily post-op progress. And best of all, this notepad rests on the side table that I have already in position next to the couch where I will probably spend much of my time.

I am doing a lot of exercising. I always have, but have increased the abs, quads, glutes, and arm exercises to be in fighting condition. Now the added benefit from this is I feel more confident about things because I am being proactive! You know how you felt when you really studied for a test!

Hystersisters is my online bible! Read it everyday! You will be thankful for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Re: Usage of Pre-op Suggestions

that is exactly how I felt! The information on this site is so empowering!
Unread 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Great job!!!! I wish I had been so prepared! I did not get on here till after my surgery but I am loving it! Best wishes for a quick & easy surgery/recovery! I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM

I have a couple other things you might consider: be sure your car is full of gas beforehand so you don't have to stop and fill it any time soon after you can drive again, do any lifting and other work that you will not be able to do. I wish I had been able to get some gardening done because it bothers me now to look at the empty planters in the yard.
If you will have stairs to climb when you get home, start taking them 2 at a time now so it will be easy to take 1 at a time later. I applaude you for stepping up your workouts to prepare and urge others to do the same, you will heal faster and it can save your life if there are complications.
In the hospital ask for your blood count results (particularly indicators of anemia) after blood gets drawn and know what is during your pre-op, same with Blood Pressure, pulse and temp. Good way to know if you have any internal bleeding, infection, etc.
Unread 05-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Luckily, I only have 3 steps up from outside. Only one story here. Been gardening/weeding for 2 months. Spring came early in Oregon. All the shrubbery is in bloom now! I will powerwash the deck b4 I go in so I can sit out there and relax afterward. I've been doing a lot of squats as I feel I will use my legs as much as possible to get up, esp. from the throne. Been practicing that too.

I think all the cleaning, working out, etc. gives you some control in a situation where you need to feel it.

LB thanks for the gas in the car suggestion. Also, another sister wrote that she taped a razor to a wooden spoon to make shaving her legs easier. I wondered about that. I hate nubs. Wish I would have got her name, but, THANK YOU all for the neat suggestions. I can see how useful it will all be.

I thought of putting a candy dish "for nurses" in my room but will definitely do it now. I know a couple nurses and they said that they do receive things like that from patients and they appreciate it! Already bought a pack of Thank You cards and will sign one before I go in so DH can bring it with him (and a box of muffins) when he comes to take me home.
Unread 05-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariuche View Post
Hystersisters is my online bible! Read it everyday! You will be thankful for it.
I totally agree! I have to log on everyday...if I don't I feel like I forgot something important for the day.
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Don't forget to take your own pillow to the castle. I took two with me and rested better with the feeling of home. Best of luck to you. I had TAH on 3-23-10 and feel GREAT.
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Don't forget the chapstick for your lips and candies for your dry mouth after surgery! And most importantly, don't forget to bring candies for the nurses so that they will wanna come in to your room to check on you more often. Besides its a nice way of saying thank you for their care.

P.S. Oops, I see that you already thought of that along with the thank you cards and even muffins..that is so thoughtful of you.
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Thank you all so much! You've convinced me to bring my own pillow. I even washed it yesterday! MMMM.

Hope, you are a gem. What a trooper you are. Thank you for walking with me. I will be there with you as well.
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:16 PM

I didn't bring my own pillows but I did bring my favorite blankie! My bestie had made it for me for Christmas. I got so many compliments on it and it was nice to have something from home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register