Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP? Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP?

Unread 03-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP?

I am in need of some help. I have a hyster scheduled for March 18. Basically I am having it because my doctors can't pinpoint what is wrong with me. My gyn suspects adeno but the MRI says no. (My gyn did a lap in January.) Also, I have two small fibroids. Here's my symptoms: NO heavy bleeding, NO monthly cramping, but I do have pelvic pain, I spray when I try to give urine samples, I have rectal pain. In addition to that I have constant dizziness plus pain in my right side. Has anyone else had a hysterectomy who didn't have severe bleeding? I am beginning to wonder if this will help me. It have discomfort when I try to sit, walk, or stand. Here's the REALLY strange part - something internally in the pelvic/rectal area is ALWAYS in a spasm. I know nobody will have all of these strange symptoms but I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who has SOME of them. Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 11:35 AM

Hi Shelleygirl
I am having my hyster on the 18th also
I don't have any of the strange feelings you
say you are having
I am having mine cause of prolapse and urinary incontinence
I can't do anything without wetting on myself
I am 42 years old and am very active so this is a problem for me
well I wish you luck and my payers are with you as we go through this together
I wished I had some advice for your or words of wisdom but I don't
hugs to you from ladypeewee
Unread 03-12-2002, 11:56 AM

Sorry, Shelleygirl, I don't have the symptoms you mention but I am getting a hyst & don't have heavy bleeding. I'm getting mine for severe menstrual cramps.

Good luck! And if you're really not sure this is right for you, you don't have to do it. Maybe you need to talk to your doctor again, or get a second (or third or fourth) opinion?

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:09 PM

Hi Shelleygirl,

I had a hysterectomy for heavybleeding and other things, but I also had the rectal pain as well. My primary care doctor thought this could be from the uterus pressing against the colon. She sent me for a sigmoidoscopy to rule out anything else before surgery and it didn't show anything at all. I went for surgery (which was needed) but still have the rectal pain after. No one seems to know what it is from, so I guess I have to live with it. It never hurts to seek a second opinion.

good luck!

cyaple
Unread 03-12-2002, 12:19 PM

Hi, Shelleygirl,

I haven't had the symptoms you describe, and I'm sorry you're in such discomfort.

The other ladies suggested getting a second opinion. I'd like to reinforce that suggestion. I'd advise any women who's considering a hysterectomy to get at least two medical opinions, before making a decision.

Hysterectomy is major surgery. If your doctors aren't sure that your problems are gynecological in nature, how can they be sure that a hysterectomy will help you? I realize that there's never a guarantee with any surgery, but I wonder if another doctor might be able to give you more information about what's causing your problems.

I hope you're able to find the reasons for your discomfort, and a solution. Please consider getting another opinion, before making a choice.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Can U Help?

Thanks everybody for responses. (BTW, I am 42.) My urologist says that the hyster will help because the fibroid is where it would possibly be the cause of urine spray. He said one time he had a patient who couldn't urinate at all and it was due to an enlarged uterus. I am about a 12 week size. I have been to the Newport Beach full body scan, Santa Barbara Sansum clinic, Stanford Hospital, and I have had ALL the tests done. All that has come up is this adenomyosis and fibroid stuff. My neurologist said maybe the uterus is pulling ligaments down. I would also be interested in talking to people with prolapse - could you please tell me what that feels like? I have had so many doctors tell me that I'll feel better after a hyster but it is still a scary thing when I have so many strange symptoms. Thank you all for your support and caring.
Unread 03-12-2002, 01:27 PM

You said you have pelvic pain, and you have rectal pain. In addition to that you have constant dizziness plus pain in my right side

I have to tell you, I have those symptoms too..but I have endometriosis and fibroids & possibly adhesions. My doctor said my endo might be behind the uterus, leaning on the colon which might be causing the rectal pain. Maybe you doctor missed that area on inspection??
I get pain under my right rib..comes and goes.
the rectal pain is whats kicking my butt

I know there is a cul de sac area that causes pain as well..
Hard to know...would think the lap would have shown more??

debz
Unread 03-12-2002, 02:05 PM

Hi Shelley, I'll take a stab at describing what a prolapse feels like....

I had a 3rd degree prolapse, cystocele and rectocele. Of course I had had a less severe prolapse for a long time, but I had no clue at all. Looking back on it I can remember things that "fit" but I just didn't put it all together. Gradually over time I noticed that I had to pee a lot more often and sometimes after I went I felt like I still had to go. I was up twice to three times a night to use the bathroom. It felt almost like when I was about 6 or so months pregnant. At the other end, I also had some trouble having a bowel movement. I was regular, but I would have to strain a little, but not so much as to be scary. Then I noticed that tampons weren't always working for me anymore. It seemed like when I put them in they sort of went "sideways" at different angles rather than just going straight in, and sometimes I would leak around them, which had never happened previously. Also, every time I sneezed, coughed or laughed I would leak a little urine. I just thought it was because I'd had two big babies. Then I hit 45 and perimenopause started. I got hot flashes, night sweats but still had periods. Apparently the ligaments loosened up and everything dropped further. Suddenly one day I was using the bathroom and I became aware that something felt really strange, almost like there was a big tampon there trying to fall out, and I knew I hadn't used one...I got a mirror and looked and saw my cervix "smiling" back at me! It was kind of shocking. I made an appointment with my OB/GYN and until then every time I had a bowel movement I had to shove it back inside me. Also it became uncomfortable to sit and to walk; just felt like there was something in there all the time. It didn't actually hurt though.

I hope this description helps...your should be able to easily check and see if you have a prolapse. If you do, and it's not severe, there are other things you can try to help the situation. For me it was too far gone for that.

Good luck!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-12-2002, 11:42 PM
multiple symptoms not bleeding but prolapse, rectal pain etc etc

Hi, I have slightly heavier bleeding but not enough to be considering surgery over. I do have prolapsing (although examined lying down things "fall" back into place hiding the amount they "fall" down with gravity when sitting/standing) if you're having rectal problems read up on rectal prolapse as well. A "defacogram" may be helpful in getting a good diagnosis of what's actually going on inside, or even an MRI of the pelvis taken in sitting position. We live in these bodies, and although we don't have the years of training/expertise, we can tell doctors exactly what we feel going on inside our bodies. Anyway, I too have the rectal pain, etc. and have been searching for help for 7 months now. I believe a hyst is in the near future, with possible other surgery as well for prolapsing. But we'll see... I just wanted to mention these few items since it took me a long time searching on my own to come up with some possible answers to my complaints.
Best of luck to you all, I'm sure I'll be back if it comes down to me having a hyst - as much as I think I may need it, I'm still scared of surgery (been through two already).
Unread 03-13-2002, 05:38 AM
weird symptoms

Hi Shelleygirl,
I had little period pain but my cycles had gotten shorter (24 days) & irregular (peri-menopause?), plus I was anemic. Odd pelvic pains & chronic mild cramping on the left side made me suspect an ovarian cyst (or worse). My LAVH found extensive endo that had encased my RIGHT ovary--the left was fine, so I kept it. Endo had also grown way down along my colon & between it & my uterus (an area known as the "pouch of douglass").
As I understand it, when endometriosis swells & bleeds with your cycle your body responds to the irritation by trying to wall it off with scar tissue. Over the years organs can get stuck together or pulled out of normal allignment. My doc said a little endo. might cause excruciating pain OR a lot of endo. might cause mild (or no) discomfort. Shows to go that we're all unique!
My endo. was "old" (by it's appearance), probably been growing for 30 years. I have a sneaking suspicion that my changing hormone levels in the past few years caused it to grow faster. Peri-menopause, anemia, anxiety and/or low blood sugar could be contributing factors re. light-headedness. Rest, breath slow & deep and eat healthy.
Relief is just around the corner!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register