when can you walk after a hysterectomy? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when can you walk after a hysterectomy? when can you walk after a hysterectomy?

Unread 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Re: when can you walk after a hysterectomy?

Think I've done too much today 17 post tah and I've did a fair bit of walking today but doubled up in pain feel like my belly going to split
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelybutterfly View Post
Think I've done too much today 17 post tah and I've did a fair bit of walking today but doubled up in pain feel like my belly going to split
Dear lonelybutterfly,

Please don't feel you have to keep up with others who are posting on this thread. You had a TAH, which is probably the most invasive type of hysterectomy. Much of what you can do post op depends on what type of surgery you had.

Don't try to walk too much or too far. Remember, if you walk a half mile in one direction you have to walk another half mile to go back home and you may not feel up to it.

You need to build up your stamina, but you don't have to do it all at once. Walk a little each day, and each day or two increase your distance.

If you are still having pain please call your doctor. You might also ask your doctor how far and how often you should be walking. S/he is the best judge of what you should be doing at this point in your recovery. Remember, we're all different and what is working for one isn't always what will work for you.

Unread 09-04-2014, 12:45 PM

I had an abdominal and started walking right away. By day 8 I was walking a few miles. I didn't do anything else though . No lifting , pulling , pushing or cleaning anything. The walking helped me to feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup2014 View Post
I agree with the anti inflammatory medication. I am taking it whether I have pain or not. I also resumed my fish oil and I'm adding olive oil to my salad.

And I pace around the house like a weirdo because it's too hot to walk outside. The dogs are perplexed and started avoiding me when I do this.

What a weird situation this is!

I have not tried the binders. Do they truly help??
This made me laugh buttercup, I was doing the same as my asthma flared up and it was high pollen outside, so I was walking around and around the house until I made myself dizzy, lol. I called the dr and explained my dilemma and she ok'd me to use my elliptical at a very low level. problem solved!
Unread 09-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana1965 View Post
Over 2100 steps the last two days- and I've not had my afternoon walk yet today! Feeling like the healing process is definitely improved from my walking. Thanks for encouraging me to do so.
Thats great Jana, glad you feel you're healing better. My dr was also a strong proponent of getting moving, said I should be able to walk a mile by one week.
Unread 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinl11 View Post
I want to remind everyone that it depends on the type of surgery a person has had, how much pain a person can tolerate. With myself, I was walking and taking narcs and Advil but the pain did not lessen as much I wanted. I caught a cold at 10 days out and there no way I wanted to walk that much as I tried to get over it. I walked 2 miles a day before surgery. there was no way I would be doing it the first week. I had a tumor amd hyster with ovaries, tubes removed. They had to open me wide open to get at the tumor and I am a small person.
When I read all the ladies just about doing marathons the first to 3rd weeks, it mades a person feel like they are not doing enough. This in turn causes them to think they should be so much further ahead and it starts to depress a person. So it is great that some of them can do it, but please don't feel that you have to compete with everyone else. Everyone has their own type of recovery. Do as much as you can without over doing it.
I haven't seen anyone imply that people should be walking a certain amount. Most people who have encouraged walking have said the being up and moving helps healing and also helps with gas and constipation, and that trying to walk a little bit further each day is the way to go. No one has said anyone should be walking any certain distance or even for any certain amount of time.
Unread 09-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniflower View Post
Hi, I am 8 days after my vaginal hysterectomy. I have endometriosis and had an ablation 3 years ago. The dr. said it would be similar recovery but it is not at all!! That was a couple days down and then I was fine.
Im not in bad pain but I just can't walk for a long time. I try to walk around for 15 minutes at a store and I have to sit because I feel so much tugging and pulling. I was so not prepared for this! Luckily my husband is off of work recovering from shoulder surgery so he is helping with the 3 kids.

Is the not being able walk much normal? Im 36 and very active (I was at least! before the surgery. We even have a trip planned in one week because I thought I would be all better by then but it is not looking like I will be.
Thank you!!
Walking to me is walking throughout my home from one room to the next from time to time say when I have to use the rest room or to get up to get a drink of water. I truly didn't go walking outside for long periods until a little after my 1st month. You will see Sunshine Sisters, Hostess, and others on this site promote walking not to get fit but to prevent blood circulation and constipation.
Unread 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
Most people who have encouraged walking have said the being up and moving helps healing and also helps with gas and constipation, and that trying to walk a little bit further each day is the way to go.
According to my Dr trying to walk further each day, even just a little bit, is NOT the way to go. Do what you feel you can each day. Pushing yourself is not healthy and recovery is often a case of one step forward, two steps back.
Unread 09-04-2014, 03:33 PM
when can you walk after a hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidin View Post
According to my Dr trying to walk further each day, even just a little bit, is NOT the way to go. Do what you feel you can each day. Pushing yourself is not healthy and recovery is often a case of one step forward, two steps back.
I absolutely agree with not pushing yourself. I told my doctor that I had been walking 1/2 mile everyday (very slowly) and he was glad I was moving but encouraged me to listen to my body. I definitely have up and down days. Up days I walk because I think it helps my mood overall and down days I lay in bed and read. To my surprise I think it just going to take at least 6 weeks to feel anywhere close to normal, maybe 8 weeks.
Unread 09-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidin View Post
Different drs, different opinions, my dr wanted me to reach a mile by one week. This suited me because I wanted to be able to do it. There is a difference between pushing yourself to do a little more and pushing yourself past the point where you should. It is not going to be 100% comfortable to walk right after surgery, but it certainly could be just as bad for us to lay in bed without walking farther than the bathroom for weeks as it would be to walk too far. You will heal more quickly if you walk, period (unless there is a complication or something that prevents you) Many opinions here are that doing less is better. My experience has been that doing what activities I was allowed and was comfortable with was good for my healing, as well as for my state of mind. Thats what makes forums work: everyone's experience is equally respected. You don't have to agree with me but it would be nice for people to respect that different points of view are acceptable. Everytime someone posts of doing a fair amount of activity, someone has to burst their bubble and tell them that they are setting back their recovery, they have only one chance to heal well,even when they expressly state that they have their drs approval. This is very disheartening and it is also offensive to be told that you are not taking proper care of yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register