How do you know for sure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you know for sure? How do you know for sure?

Unread 05-30-2001, 01:13 PM
How do you know for sure?

I am 45, overweight with 2 children-both c-sections.
After testing I have endometrial hyperplasia without
atypia, polyps, enlarged uterus and slight anemia.
My Dr. had talked of ablation/horomones but after the tests says a TAH/BSO. I've done so much research but most talks of hyperplasia WITH atypia and I can't find any with my mix. I know cancer risk is low but why take the chance? I'm scheduled for June 28 so my daughter can graduate 8th grade, have a party etc. I can use 8weeks of sick time with no problem. I figure it will be like my c-sections and my Dr. says she'll cut right above my scars, a bikini cut. I'm tired of being tired, 16-17 day periods, very heavy for 1-2 days cramps, back aches.
I'm always rubbing my stomach for discomfort. I can put up with a lot but have become a screaming shrew several days a month. Hyperplasia can progress to worse, a D&C won't help the polyps. I am taking iron.
Another forum Dr. said hormones probably won't help me. After always being regular I bled after only 2 weeks and now on my regular schedule which is down to 25 days. I lost 42 pounds last year and the Dr. says it may have released extra estrogen and my problem is too much already. I could just scream. If only I could get a straight set of facts. HELP!!!!
Everytime I talk to my Dr. with my pages of questions I feel she is right and I'd love to have no more periods controlling my life and wardrobe so why am i unsure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2001, 03:13 PM
You just know

Tillies,

You're unsure because this is major, scary stuff. It was for me. I don't know at what point it will all be too much for you. I know that when I knew, I just knew. That it was time to buy pants in a color other than black. That it was time to stop "working from home " one week a month. That it was time to get my life back, to go sailing, to do, to live. I had one "very large" fibroid that resulted in excessive bleeding. I was extremely anaemic -- I was bleeding heavily (a super plus tampon and maxi pad every 15 minutes) for three to five days of each two week period (exactly which three to five days that would be was, of course, variable, to add to the social challenges of dealing with that sort of bleeding)

I finally decided that I deserved myself back. I'm 2 1/5 weeks post op SAH, and I feel better than I have in a couple of years. Sore? Yeah, but I know that won't be back next month. I'ts different for everyone, but at some point you'll know that either it's right or it isn't. Or you may just decide at this point on a time when it will be time to revisit your decision I'm 37, 2 wonderful stepkids, it was the right thing for me to do.

It's not like a c-section. They're removing something that was attached in ways a baby iready to be born isn't. There's a lot of re-architecting that goes on in there as everything is put back together, and the recovery is not real quick, although I'm up to a pretty good level of activity at this point. I'd definitely plan on taking the whole 8 weeks. I had my first post op appt yesterday -- all is good, but I've been advised to take 8 weeks -- had planned to take 6, being my basic type-A self. Decided today to take whatever my dr. wants -- my job will still be there...
Unread 05-30-2001, 03:21 PM

Maybe you're unsure because it is MAJOR surgery. We tend to go through this relentless bleeding without giving it much thought....after all, we're women and women bleed, right? Wrong!! I'm 8 weeks post-op today for similar circumstances to yours except that I had atypia, and I'm here to tell you, there is life after hysterectomy and it's GREAT!!! No, I'm far from being completely healed, I know that, but life is sooo much better now. I don't have to fear bleeding out unexpectedly at work ever again.....that was very It's a tough decision to make though, and I'm not trying to make light of it. Do your research, read, read, read and then make an informed decision. Everyone is different and the decision is ultimately only yours to make! Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2001, 12:32 PM

Hi Tillies Welcome to Hyster Sisters.

You ask How do you know for sure? There are several possible answers to that question, depending on your situation.

For me, it was when my quality of life became so awful that I was ready to do just about anything to STOP the bleeding and restore my once healthy sex life. It was also when I found my health deteriorating to the point that I was anemic and "body parts" were dropping (in this case, my rectum was prolapsed).

I think that a good rule of thumb is to consider other options available to you and how likely those options are to resolve your problems. In order to help you in this area, you might want to visit the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives message board where are you are most likely to find answers to your questions.

It is also important to consider the effect your condition has had on your quality of life and your health. For this, your doctor might be the best source of information. It is also a good idea to consult more than one doctors in order to ensure that the option considered is the best one for you.

Remember, an hysterectomy is a MAJOR surgery and should only be considered as a last resort. If your condition does not require immediate intervention, take the time to do the research you need to do.

Best of luck in your quest for answers.
Unread 05-31-2001, 12:44 PM

Its not the actual surgery i'm afraid of. I just want to know for sure. The more I research the more it seems most people are a lot worse before they go for it. Then I realize I have been miserable for years, not bed ridden just never 'right' and struggling to get through life
Plus worrying about when 'it' is coming, am I prepared and not be able to do some basic things because I'm always uncomfortable. Things like wearing black in Disney World and carrying extra panties and shorts around on a once in a life time vacation-just in case. The more I talk here and search the internet, the more I'm going for it now. I'll obsess until June 28 and then be glad.
Unread 05-31-2001, 01:03 PM

Tillies,

I was like you, I was a mess leading up to the actual day of surgery. Asking myself over and over ... is this the right thing for me? I also had endometrial hyperplasia WITHOUT atypia. Along with that, I also had adenomyosis, endometriosis and fibroids. No one can make this decision for you, we can only tell of our own experience. I can say that although I am struggling with some post op bladder problems, I am still very satisfied with the outcome of my hysterectomy. I no longer have to be in that constant uterine pain with constant bleeding. The not knowing "when" the bleeding would begin or end.

I have found a few links on endometrial hyperplasia and I will try to relocate those for you. Also my doctor told me that it "could" lead to something worse, but it may not. I had a D&C and that didn't help me at all. I tried BCP (upon the insistence of my insurance company) and that didn't work either. So I therefore opted for the hysterectomy. In my experience, that was the right choice. Only YOU can make this decision for yourself. This is major surgery and you should explore all options and discuss it with your doctor thoroughly and then I am sure that you will come to the right decision.

I wish you the very best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register