I've been Selfishly Impatient | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've been Selfishly Impatient I've been Selfishly Impatient

Unread 02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I've been Selfishly Impatient

After having looked at this phenomenal website resource prior to my supracervical abdominal hysterectomy...and how much comfort it brought to me...I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't think of looking at it post op until today. I'm 45 years old, and I had my hyst. on 1/16. I swore to everyone I knew (either face to face or via email), that I would be the "miracle" case regarding my recovery. I have a strong belief in the mind/body connection, so I was hoping this philosophy would serve me post op. While I had a few bumps the day of surgery (vomiting for hours, hated dilaudid, and a backed up catheter for hours and hours), after Day 1 of surgery, I no longer needed pain meds (maybe I didn't that day, I don't know...they just stick it in your IV). I needed no IV pain meds, no motrin, nothing. I came home after 2 days. When I went in to my doc's 6 days post op to get my staples out, he was amazed at my progress. I could walk straight up, had decent energy and just felt good! So with my pronouncement of being an "amazing patient," off I go to get myself even better. I had my second check up this past week at 3 weeks and 2 days post op and proudly proclaimed to the Doc, "I am back to working (from home) for 4 hours in the morning and I walk 2 miles each afternoon...and other than one day when I felt exhausted I'm doing great!" I had a list of things I planned to 'add' to my progress, like maybe some light aerobics, increasing to perhaps 2 1/2 miles walking a day..etc., etc. His response, "You're doing far too much and need to allow yourself to heal properly. You must ease up on the walking to not exceed 1 mile, and don't allow yourself to become tired. No baths yet, no driving yet, no lifting, no.." well you get the idea. So I came home, and for the first time I felt depressed, unmotivated, and sad. I cried for about 2 days at the drop of a hat. I've just now read the post op thread, and realize that I truly AM blessed with my recovery, but I was being self-centered...and that even though it goes against my desire to want to get up and move...I need to take it easy. I had no problem accepting the swollen stomach, being kinda uncomfortable when I sleep, but it's taken until today to realize that I need to accept that just because I can't see healing going on inside me, doesn't mean it's not happening, and I need to respect that. This website is amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM

I believe in both the power of prayer, and that our mind is a poweful tool. The bible says what you say is what you get. If you go into surgery and recovery with a positive outlook you have a much better recovery, and cancer patients are the same, those that set their mind to beating it have a much better chance of doing so.
That having said, I also believe that we have a responsibility to take care of ourselves, and that includes taking it easy after surgery. At about the 3 week point I had a real rough time with that. I was feeling better, and wanted to get up and do things and go places. But you have to listen to the dr, and to your body, and not over do things.
Unread 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM

I am glad you are doing well! That is great!

But as your doctor mentioned, you still need to let your body heal. Regardless of how your hyst was performed, you still had a major surgery and your body needs time to adjust so it can heal properly. Many ladies do not realize that a compromised healing now could affect them in the future.

Having a good attitude can definitely help you throughout this time, but it cannot guarantee that all will be perfect physically -- I am a case in point, unfortunately. So do listen to your doctor and get the rest your body needs now!

Many continued best wishes for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Listen to your doc. As many wonem have said on this site.You only get one chance to heal right. I am the same way. I felt good so i was up trying to clean, lift, and then I read of someone who set her recovery back, another surgury. I did not need that so I slowed way down. I am now 9 weeks out and now I have started walking 2 miles a day on the teadmill. I quit when I am tired, and I push when I have energy. TAKE TIME TO HEAL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register