meals | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM
meals

How long will we need to arrange meals for post op? Keep in mind that I am the mother of 5 children. My Dh leaves for work at 5:30 am and doesn't get home until about 8-8:30pm sooo he won't be able to cook dinner for the kids & I the nights he works. I am having a Supracervical abdominal Hysterectomy 11/7. I also need suggestions on what kinds of groceries to buy so I can feed myself when I am home alone LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2007, 10:14 PM
meals

I made enough meals for 2 weeks. I made meatloaves and casseroles that i think I still find sometimes buried deep in my freezer. But yeah make as much as you have time for. I also did baking so my family could have extra special things for them at a moments notice. I also found that I made meals that could have simple things added to them to bring a different spin on a stand by!
Good luck.
Unread 10-26-2007, 12:29 AM
meals

see in my case I need someone to either come over and cook or bring it in... my kids are learning to cook but I don't want them to do it on their own right now. (besides I have had so little endergy I have used all my stock pile LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2007, 07:32 AM
meals

There's some pretty good ready to heat & eats meals available. I buy them for when DH is out of town . The local grocery stores usually carry a varity of frozen crockpot meals along with some that can just be popped in the oven or microwave. Many come in "family" sizes. A pre sliced ham would go a long way too. Deli sliced sandwich meats and cheeses with sub buns - the kiddos could fix that with few worries.
I also asked for food when anyone asked how they could help. It was nice to have that extra bonus.

S
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:14 AM
meals

I will be making up some meals ahead of time myself, as well as accepting the offers from friends. I've also signed up with a couple of grocery stores that deliver. This way if I get down to where I've got nothing left, I can order some of those premade frozen dinners (even a pizza). See if one of your stores can deliver (we have Albertson's and Von's - which is Safeway in some places). It's really easy to use. You place your order on-line and select a delivery time that works for you. They do the shopping and deliver to your door. The company that I used when I was pregnant and on bedrest is no longer in business, but they actually delivered to the kitchen. You can have it delivered when your kids are home so that they can help put them away.

For four years I volunteered in the classroom and taught 1st and 2nd graders how to cook. I have some really great recipes that are easy and good. All I did was supervise to make sure no one lost a finger and that everyone kept their hands clean. If you're interested, contact me and I'll email them to you.
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:19 AM
meals

Plan at least 2 weeks of meals. I'm at the 2 week point now, and I'm glad that I had planned that much. With 5 kids, you may need to plan even further out, because you'll probably get even more tired. Things that work: Lasagne (can even by it frozen), chili, sliced meats, meatballs (someone can always boil noodles). For you, for lunch, make sure you get fiber in the form of fruits/vegetables. I'm so glad that I have carrots and apples on hand. Yogurt (you need calcium, now). And, for some odd reason, I've been enjoying oatmeal in the morning. If you plan on preparing any meals after surgery, they need to be simple, and no lifting. I found that kitchen duty is more difficult than anything else, maybe because so much twisting is involved.
Unread 10-26-2007, 09:11 AM
meals

I am going this weekend to do all of my shopping. Since I always have Thanksgiving at my house and do 95% of the cooking for everyone, I have ordered some stuff (turkey & ham) from the local FFA, I will be doing all of my pie baking this weekend as well and freezing them. I am thinking just getting some of those crockpot meals for DH. All kids are moved out, so it is ust DH and myself, but everyone calls me the over achiever(sp?) so will probably have more than plenty for all....LOL
Unread 10-26-2007, 11:25 AM
meals

see what i need is a automatic crock pot~! That way DH coud start it before he leaves for work (he leaves at 5:30 am) I am worried enough about getting my kids out the door for school (my DS is a coma sleeper LOL) with out having them have to get the crock ready before they leave for school.... but 12 hours in the crock even on low tends to over cook things LOL.
Unread 10-26-2007, 12:30 PM
meals

Amy -- there is a place out in Beaverton that is called dinners done right. They will prepare everything and you just throw it in your freezer -- take it out -- throw it in the oven and you are done. no cooking dishes to clean up -- the food is really good--
and I do not think that it is all that expensive.

ideas for you for lunch -- the campbells cup a soups are pretty good
a toaster oven makes a wicked grilled (toasted) cheese sandwich.

Chicky noodle soup is always good.

For me -- i was in heaven -- the tomatos were ripe -- so I ate lots of peanut butter and tomato sandwiches -- ok I know sounds wierd --

BUT I LOVE THEM. ( guess it was a broke food growing up) but oh so good.

eating light and easy ad staying away from the gassey stuff.

Talk to you soon.
Lisa
Unread 10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
meals

thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register