hydrosalpinx | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-01-2003, 05:22 PM
hydrosalpinx

Just curious if anyone else out there had this situation.

Years ago I underwent a hysterosalpingogram to see why I wasn't able to conceive. They found a blockage in my left tube, and when they tried to push more dye up there to get a better picture, they tore a hole in the tube. This was in 1992.

I now have what my Dr. is telling my is a hydrosalpinx. A 2cm x 7cm tube growing out of where they ruptured my tube all those years ago. It's about the size of my pinky, fulled with clear fluid, and they believe this is the reason for the irregular cycles, clotting, cramps, etc that I've never experienced before. I am now waiting my day (Nov. 19th) and they are going to do a TAJ and remove all except the ovaries (they're healthy and I have absolutely NO history of cancer in my family)..but I'm curious if anyone else has ever had anything like this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2003, 06:51 PM
hydrosalpinx

Hi Diva,

I'm just a little concerned - if the hydrosalpinx is the cause of your pain, then I am wondering why you would need to have a TAH and remove your uterus? Do you have any other symptoms that have caused your doctor to suggest the hyst? Have you gotten a second opinion yet?

I don't mean to second guess your doctor, because I'm not a medical person, but since a hysterectomy is major surgery, if just your fallopian tube with the hydrosalpinx could be removed, it seems as if it might be a less drastic solution to your pain.

I hope that someone will be along soon who has had a similar experience to share with you.

's
Unread 11-01-2003, 07:13 PM
hydrosalpinx

Well........where do I start with this long journey I've been on??

Up until last December, you could set world clocks by my cycle. I could take a calendar a year in advance and mark the days I would be on my period....up until last December.

I started getting irregular cycles, cramps, clotting ...sometimes going through a box of Super tampons in less that 24 hours...and I immediately sought medical attention. They did the random pap, urine test...and the dreaded (and I mean DREADED) blood tests. Everything normal On April 12th I started my period again.....it didn't end until June 19th.........it was hurrendous...the Dr.s couldn't figure out how to make it stop...I went through 3 more PAP's, a biopsy...and finally a ultra sound.......I spend 9 months and upwards of $2500 to hear Dr.'s tell me I'm normal?!?!? I know when somethings wrong! The short of the story is, in 1990 I had a tubular pregnancy that ruptured my right tube...I amost died. Luckily they got me into surgery in time but they took the right tube completely. 2 years later is when they ruptured the left tube trying to see if it had a blockage...I have hand nothing but nightmares when it comes to this thing inside me...I've wanted it out since the day they told me I could no longer concieve a child.....It's taken me 10 years to find a Dr. that agreed that I'd be better off without (what I feel) is a timebomb inside me. I'm 41, my daughter is grown and gone, and I want to enjoy the rest of my life pain (and cycle) free.... I have too much to see and do to be chained to potty stops and rest stops to change flippin' pads! In all my research...I've yet to meet or talk to ONE woman who doesn't agree it's the BEST thing they've ever done.... I know it will be for me!!

Sincerely,
Never gonna cruise the tampax isle again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2003, 09:53 PM
hydrosalpinx

Hi (((Diva))) I can sympathize with your situation. Boy, can I. I had a hysterosalpingogram the same year you did. I'm surprised they didn't rupture my tubes in the process. That test sure was painful! I can see how you might have developed the hydrosalpinx.

However, I think I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't ask you why you don't just have the hydrosalpinx removed and the tube repaired, or have a salpingectomy rather than a hysterectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy. I mean, if the hydrosalpinx is the cause of the problem, removing the uterus and ovaries won't fix it, right?

Quote:
I've yet to meet or talk to ONE woman who doesn't agree it's the BEST thing they've ever done
Well, now you have.

Actually, if you wander over to our Road Less Traveled forum, or tiptoe through the Hormone Jungle and No-Hormone Desert Oasis forums, you will meet a lot of us.

It's true that most women who have a hysterectomy sail right through it, find a hormone replacement therapy that works great for them and go on with their lives without missing a beat. However, some do not. Complications can happen during the surgery itself, or months or years later. HRT is not one size fits all, and some women struggle for months and years to find one that makes them feel like themselves. We have had many women come through here who feel cheated because they listened to well-meaning friends who said "It's the best thing I ever did for myself", only to find out that for them, something went wrong and they were never the same again.

The odds that complications will happen to any one women are small; however, to someone that has had a problem, they feel like 100%. For this reason I suggest you only have a hysterectomy if you are absolutely certain that you don't have any other alternatives and that your quality of life (or your life) is compromised by not having it.

When I had my hysterectomy, I knew I didn't have any choice, I had to do it. Since then, I've had two other surgeries, including one which involved the removal of most of my colon. My life is forever changed because of it. The only way I am able to go forward with my life is because I know I made the only decision I could at the time. Are you there yet?

Please, please make absolutely sure you have no other choice before going forward with the hysterectomy. Of course we will be here to support you no matter what you decide... I just don't want to think about having to see you posting "I wish I'd never had this surgery" a few months or years from now... it does happen. Not all the time, but enough.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-02-2003, 04:48 AM
hydrosalpinx

Thank you for your reply, it defianately made me think. But yes, I'am absolutely sure it's what I want.

My harmone levels are good, and I'm keeping my ovaries (as of now) I have given my Dr. explicit instructions that if she sees any signs of cysts or any abnormalities, then she is to remove them too.

I am very lucky, I have an excellent Dr. (Female) who just went through this herself...so I am very comfortable dealing with someone who actually HAS "walked a mile in my shoes". I have been through almost a year of "poking and proding" by Dr.s and I'm done. I"m not going to deal with abnormal bleeding, clotting, pain, gushing, getting up 3-4 times a night drenched in blood...I'm gonna be done with all of it!

The hydrosalpinx just happed to be there, they believe, as a result of a hysterosalpingogram "gone wrong"...they don't believe it's actually what is causing the abnormal bleeding. But my biggest problem is no family history to go on. No other woman in my family has kept her uterus past the age of 39...My sister had hers at 39, my mother had hers at 38, my aunts had theiers at 38,39, and 39...mostly for irregularity and heavy, clotty bleeding. Luckily (knock on wood) there has never been cancer in our family.

I truly believe I'm making the right decision...I don't EVER want to go through what I did this last spring/summer again. I bled for 1 1/2 months SOLID...it was the most physically and emotionally draining time in my life.

As for HRT....well...it can't be any worse that what I've dealt with already....and it has NEVER been an issue for anyone related to me that has had a hysterectomy.

I'm totally at peace with my decision. The only thing that terrifies me is facing the blood tests........ I hate them with a passion!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register