Stopping smoking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stopping smoking Stopping smoking

Unread 04-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Stopping smoking

Hi, i am at the moment ( i'm ashamed to admit!) a 15/20 a day smoker, have been for a good few years now. I'm married to a (never has) nonsmoker and have a non smoking 17yr old DS still at home. I don't like to admit it but i do enjoy some of my "ciggies" the rest i do out of habit! I don't smoke in the house, have to go outside to commit my sin, doesn't stop me though! Only times i have stopped before was when i was pregnant, only to start again after a year or so. I was thinking that as i will not be able to indulge in hospital i would maybe like to try and give up ( don't ask me to try before as i'm smoking even more in this last couple of weeks leading up to my op on the 5th May, DH is abroad working until a couple of days before i go in so i'm struggling as it is with the pre op nerves) Have any of you out there been in this situation and managed to stop, will i even have the cravings after the op, should i take in some patches, gum or something to help? ( One of the reasons i keep smoking is i'm terrified of gaining weight) Any advice or help would be appreciated, lol katiepix xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Stopping smoking

First off, I am a non smoker and always have been, so forgive me if I am way off base here.

I have a few people close to me that have stopped smoking and gained weight. They have even commented that they may start again so they could loose the weight. My thoughts/comments are, "I think you are much better off being 10-30lbs overweight and non-smoker, than almost any weight being a smoker". Once you have conquered the quiting smoking, you can worry about getting off the extra weight.

Just my humble opinion!

I wish much luck in what ever you decide!
Unread 04-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Stopping smoking

I quit smoking for 10 years then started back 2 1/2 yrs ago. Don't ask why. I smoked more out of boredom than anything else. I also smoked only outside or in my car. However, DH smoked too. After reserching things, I decided to atleast try and cut down before my surgery, as smokers are at a bigger risk for post-op lung and breathing problems. I managed to cut way down before my surgery. I could go a couple of days between smokes, some days it would just be a couple. Anyways, I am happy to report, it's been almost 5 weeks since my surgery and I'm still smoke free! I had no cravings or desire right after my surgery. I did not need patches. After coming home, I did light one up about day 6 and it just didn't taste good, so I tossed the pack in the trash. I actually eat better now, as even though I smoked, I hated the taste left in my mouth and would eat sweets to rty to get rid of the taste. Sorry this is so long. Some days I do think, boy a cigarette would be nice, but I really feel better without them. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Stopping smoking

My Dr. offered to prescribe a patch for me while I was in the hospital but I refused because after the surgery I had no cravings. I am sad to report after 2 days home I lit back up and haven't stopped. I am happy for those who have quit and there are alot ( if you look in the smoke out forum). I just couldn't deal with the pain of recovery and listen to my dd and dh argue about stupid little things, the stress got to me. Good luck to you and anyone else who wants to quit. Maybe one day it will happen for me,though the weight gain does scare the @#%$ out of me!!
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Stopping smoking

From what I understand, quitting smoking does not cause weight gain. Eating more calories than you burn off is what causes you to gain. I think people that are trying to quit tend to grab something to eat if they can't grab a cigarette. At least that's what my Mom did. Maybe just chew some gum or something so your mouth has something to do.

Easy for me to say I know, since I've never been a smoker. I've watched my Mom and husband struggle through it all. I wanted to slap my niece silly when she started smoking in high school.
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:43 PM
quitting

I hope you can quit. The book Rational Recovery was excellent on the topic of addiction. One concept I got from it was that if you can minimize the problem to the idea that it is just an urge you can say no to, it gets easier. Every time you say no, you get stronger. Talk to your doctor about it, I have read that quitting a long term smoking habit does produce some temporary inflamation with healing. Smokers are at higher risk as you know, but quitting the eve of surgery may not help.

I don't see the link between smoking and weight. Weigh loss seems to happen when peoples lives are in correct balance and when they are inspired to make healthy choices. After working with thousands of people on exercise/health/lifestyle related things I do know that the motivation to look better will not sustain one to keep up the changes for long. Seems to me that motivation must be refreshed as often as it sags, and you can't get too creative on what you can use to motivate you at the moment to over rule the small urge to smoke. Just the fact that you are questioning it means it is a shrinking urge. Love Noom
Unread 04-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Stopping smoking

I have smoked on and off for years. I quit when I was pregnant with my daughter and didn't smoke for 2 years after she was born. I started back up smoked for 4 years and then quit for 5 years. I started back up 1 1/2 ago like a big jerk. I was having personal problems and gave in to smoking. I swore I would quit while I was in the hospital. I managed to last 5 days. I was an emotional rollercoaster and now I am smoking again and feel like the biggest loser ever. I am actually thinking of joining the stop smoking program that the hospital offers. I am sure your hospital offers it as well. Maybe you can check it out while you are there. Also, in regards to the weight issue. If you smoke 1 pack a day, smoking burns about 250 calories. Therefore, you would have to be more conscious about your calories. However, I believe the weight gain myth is that people give up one habit for another (eating). Its not easy, but I am going to have to put my best foot forward and try it again.
Unread 04-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Stopping smoking

My DH and I both quit cold turkey in 1999, I smoked maybe 3-4 packs a week for a little over 10 years. My DH smoked almost a carton a week. It was difficult but we got through it. We did it for the kids and our health. My DH exercises for about 20 minutes in the morning when he put on about 10 lbs. I walk on the tread every other day for 15 minutes and attend martial arts classes. I also do stretching and toning for 15 minutes when I don't go on the treadmill.

Good Luck!
Unread 04-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Stopping smoking

I am trying to quit before my TAH, which is less than 2 weeks away now. I tried a couple weeks ago with the patch. I am trying again now (no butts since Saturday) and am using the nicotine lozenges. So far so good. I sure hope I don't go back to it before surgery and if I manage that, I hope I don't go back to it post-op.
Unread 04-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Stopping smoking

Hey Girls, I too am a smoker who is trying to quit before surgery. my habit is about a half a pack a day. but I have decided it was time to give it a try for my health and for the fact that I won't feel like hauling my but down stairs to smoke while in the hospital. it has only been a couple of hours since my last smoke but you have to start somewhere right. so I wish all the rest of you like myself the best of luck in putting down the smokes for good. Cathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register