Scared to tears (literally)-please help! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to tears (literally)-please help! Scared to tears (literally)-please help!

Unread 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Scared to tears (literally)-please help!

I think the waiting is the absolute worst part. Anxiety and fear can take over. No matter how much you tell yourself everything will be fine, as the time gets closer, you become overwhelmed. It is normal. You will be fine. Talk to your doctor about your fears. When you're at the hospital, let them know how scared you are, it is nothing to be embarassed about, it is a normal human reaction.
When I was wheeled into the OR, my nurse announced "We have a nervous one here" and I saw the smiles on their faces. They were kind smiles, and assured me that it was normal. One of the people in there shook my hand and I apologized for the sweat... he said "No worries, we're going to give you something in your IV right now so you feel better." Then they put nice warm blankets on me and talked to me. Made me feel much better and when I woke up, all was right with the world.
So just try to stay busy, focus on how wonderful life will be once this is done... no more periods, no more pain! And don't keep your feelings to yourself. Talk to someone, partner, friend, and/or doctor.

{{{{HUGS}}}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM

I'm having my hyster soon too, Tuesday the 17th. Like you, I'm really scared. I tell him husband and friends I'm fine, but really, the fear of dying is more than I can stand. It's not the actual dying part, it's the fact that I have two very young children that NEED me here!

I'm trying to calm myself. I pray. My doctor performs hundreds of hysters a year. He delivered both my babies. He's kind and capable. I tell myself I'll be fine and though I believe I will be, the fear still sits there on my chest.

We'll be okay. Really, we will.
Unread 02-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Reading your message was like reading my own mind . . . I'm currently going through the same emotions as you are (my TAH date is Feb. 26) How I am managing to get a grip on myself is keeping busy having the house as ready as possible and as not easy as it is, forcing my mind to think positive . . . I recently watched a clip that I got from the Oprah show on "Randy Pausch's last lecture" which although made me cry, gave me new insight and helped me at least on some level. He was told he had 3 to 6 months left to live and gave a one hour long lecture at the University he worked at and it really was amazing.

Wishing you an easy recovery . . . you will see your family again as I will see mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2009, 11:11 AM

I just had my LAVH on the 12th with ovaries and cervix removed. I felt exactly the same way. This website was a lifesaver. I did lots of reading, got lots of encouragement and left it in God's hands. Then I kept myself busy and started cleaning house and making meals for my husband. While it's a once in a lifetime surgery for us, it's the second most common surgery on women behind C-sections. You'll come through just fine.
Unread 02-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Hi Whiteroses~
Welcome sis!!!!
I was really scared at first too. But honestly, since being with Hystersisters it has eased my mind so much. I also have adenomyosis. Now I am actually looking forward to having it done and over with. It is a major surgery but a hysterectomy is such a common surgery anymore.

Just think how much better you will feel when it is over...concentrate on the future...no more periods or pain!!!YAY!!!

I hope you feel better about it, and please find comfort in knowing you are definitely not alone.
Best wishes and good luck!!!
HUGS,
Kristy
Unread 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Whiteroses, I did not handle pre-surgery anxiety well at all. I totally got onboard the crazy train: I shopped for my "last" handbag, which became my last three handbags (and I don't mean cheap handbags, either), I made sure I ordered enough clothes to keep my children fashionably dressed through the year, bought stuffed animals for them to hold when I was gone forever, had several indulgent "last meals", which tasted like ashes... I have credit card bills post-op. If I had known then what I know now I'd have done more in lines of what Sea Butterfly suggested. I'd have set up my post-op world, because it is something that you can have control over in a time that seems out of control. Try deep, deep breathing. Walk in the fresh air. Hysterectomy is a very common surgery, your surgeon could probably do it blindfolded. I know you will be fine. Look at all the sisters here who survived the surgery. I wish you a quick recovery. Hugs to you. Kim
Unread 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM

PS: Don't forget Saltines at your bedside during post-op recovery; they really got me through the first two weeks.
Unread 02-14-2009, 02:12 PM

I went through the same fears. I wrote goodbye letters to my kids. They're very young and were to be given to them on their 13th birthdays. I gave copies to my bff because I thought dh would forget by the time they got to 13.

I barely slept the night before surgery. I sent out some birthday cards to friends and thought how weird it would be for them to receive them after I'd died -- as if from the grave.

On the morning of surgery, I was exhausted because of a sleepless night. Dh and I checked into the hospital after dropping the kids at school. All the nurse, the ivs they put in me, the forms I signed made it feel even more real and scary. But then, I was finally ready to be wheeled into the OR. I talked with the anasthesiologist and considered telling him that I'd changed my mind.

And then, my doctor was there telling me that I'd be fine. That's when I relaxed because I'd finally seen a familiar face. He was so calm and smiled at me and held my hand when I reached out to him and I felt a bit better.

They must have put something in my IV because the next thing I knew, I was waking up in the OR. I had an LAVH with complications and it took 3 hours to perform the surgery.

Ever since I woke up, I've felt better and better. No pain except for gas pains. I'm feeling stronger and getting my energy back. I feel relieved that I will never have a period again and that I will be able to be productive and have lots of energy because I won't be drained every month because of the horrible clots and bleeding. I no longer have to schedule work, travel, parties around the dreaded period.

You did the right thing in asking this question. I never did and thought I was paranoid. I would make jokes about dying to my dh and friends and that was my way of easing my anxiety. I had a girls night out the Saturday before surgery and we came home afterwards and all my friends picked out what they wanted after my death. It was hilarious to see them mock-fighting over my dishes and paintings.

Good luck. All will go well and we look forward to your posts post-op.
Unread 02-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Oh sweetie, it's ok. I've been thru 14 surgeries and getting ready for my hysterectomy a day before you. I go thru the same thing EVERY SINGLE time I have surgery. I even work in surgery so I know what goes on. It will be just fine. I agree with the other sister's...ask your dr. for Xanax or something to help your nerves. But you should go thru with it. You will feel better and you will be glad you did. No more pain and suffering. GOOD LUCK!!
Melanie
Unread 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartisjames
or Klonopin......
This!

And reading HS site. I hope being here amongst all of us have walked the road before you is helping.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register