6 days post hysterectomy. .. please don't let me go crazy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post hysterectomy. .. please don't let me go crazy! 6 days post hysterectomy. .. please don't let me go crazy!

Unread 09-14-2015, 02:50 PM
6 days post hysterectomy. .. please don't let me go crazy!

I am six days post opt. I am a recovering alcoholic and diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.

I have worked tirelessly to be healthy. I have been sober and stable for months.

However, now I have begun to experience eractic moods as well as a bad depression.

I recognize the after affects of use of pain narcotics, anastishia, hormone shift, and being stuck in bed can do quite the number.

I had to call my psychiatrist today.
I went on a walk.
I feel a little bit better, but nervous.

Most of all, I'm having difficulty understanding how much activity level I should have. I am sore but can't stay in bed all day? That just sounds depressing!

But I can't over due it either! Which I'm notorious for! Your I put is welcome! ♡
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Re: 6 days post opt. .. please don't let me go crazy!

Just take it easy and get out of the bed! Even if just to move to the living room. Try taking a small walk just outside-fresh air will help. Listen to what your body is saying. Just getting up and taking a shower and putting on different clothes will help. If can't take shower, just wash off with a towel-I call them a spits bath. If you can do get out of bed, I have depression myself and just sitting in my living room able to look out to my patio was pleasant. Have to admit that as soon as I could, I stopped the narcotics. Have been using only motrin since about two days after I got home. I was in hospital for two nights. The narcotics played havoc with me-intensifing anxiety. Once off was able to get a handle on it.
Unread 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM

I didn't stay in bed at all, except at night to sleep. I felt pretty good, and was out and about almost every day, even the first week. Getting outside and walking more can really be a mood lifter. Can you go to lunch with a friend? It really helped me to not feel like an invalid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2015, 04:29 PM

I live with chronic depression, which I manage with exercise and outdoor time as well as medication. During recovery, I spent as much time as possible outdoors, not only walking but also reading, sewing and playing with my cats.

I went for a walk outside on my first full day home from the hospital, the fourth day after surgery. I walked around the block, then went home and rested. I felt pretty good, so I went back out and walked around *two* blocks. That felt good too!

You should be able to go for a walk, come home and rest and then feel refreshed. If you still feel as if you were hit by a truck after resting, you walked too far. Try to head for home when you're just *starting* to feel tired. Remember that lots of short walks are better than one long one.

I took an afternoon nap most days the first week and turned in early in the evening, but when I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't in bed. Actually, I didn't nap in bed, as my bedroom is really dark during the day. I napped on a pile of pillows in the living room, which gets a lot of natural light.

I was usually outside. If I was inside, I was usually working at my computer, reading, sewing, playing with my cats or doing some really minimal meal preparation and housework.
Unread 09-14-2015, 11:09 PM

I too suffered aweful anxiety amd depression post op. Because of the trauma I endured with my surgery... it was impossible for me to remove myself from the pain meds quicky. I was to have a TVH.. which in the middle of surgery and ALOT of internal bleeding (I lost 2 pints of blood) turned into a LATH and then turned into an TAH. So after all that.. I was in a crud ton of pain and became depressed and anxiety ridden something fierce! I was put on lamictal and alprazolam for the symptoms. After 8 wks of terrible recovery I was finally weened off the pain meds and was able to begin my regular daily activities (without the assistance of a walker... FINALLY). It does get better! If your depression amd anxiety persists talk to your dr.. they can offer you help for the tempory symptoms. Being out in the sun helped some and being outside with my dogs always brought a smile to my face. Find the little things that make you happy... and focus on those as much as you can. Please let us know how you are doing. I found so much love and support through this forum after my nightmare of a surgery and hope you are getting a ton of support as well. Love yourself and try to be patient as you heal physically and emotionally. 😙
Unread 09-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Re: 6 days post hysterectomy. .. please don't let me go crazy!

I'm feeling the same and our surgery date was the same and I'm also a former alcoholic but it has been years for me. I'm having horrible anxiety from all the complications I've had with meds and my recovery - hoping it gets better for you and me!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register