Post op question for pre op sister | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op question for pre op sister Post op question for pre op sister

Unread 02-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Post op question for pre op sister

How realistic is it to be able to move around enough to fix a light meal or move room to room, after the first week post op? I have a 7 yr old daughter and my husband can only take off work for the first week, after that it would be just her and I, all my family is out of state. Can I care ok for her and myself after week one? Husband is an over the road truck driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2005, 10:48 AM

My sister took off work the first week I was home from the hospital, but after that I was on my own. I made sure before my surgery to have lots of easy microwaveable meals ready so I wouldn't have to be up on my feet in front of a stove for too long. As long as you prepare light meals you should be ok. Try to get as much done before your surgery as possible so you can just do reheats.

As far as taking care of your daughter, at 7 she should be old enough to help you by helping herself and so you shouldn't have a problem taking care of her. As long as you don't have to drive or do food shopping at 1 week you should be fine.

Take care,
Mary Ellen
Unread 02-24-2005, 11:02 AM

It took me til about 2-3 weeks post-op to cook dinner for my family.

Try to buy pre-prepared food so all you have to do is pop it in the oven.

I really didn't get into 'preparing' dinner until about 4-5 weeks post-op. I could do simple meals like hambugers or hot dogs, sandwiches, Kraft Dinner, stuff out of a can or frozen foods. I would supplement it with bagged salad to make it nutritious.

Don't be afraid of having something delivered and order lots so you have leftovers for the next day!

Take it easy when your daughter is at school because you WILL get really worn out in the evenings. Get her to help you out with little things like setting and clearing the table or drying dishes. My DD helped me with all that and things like loading the washing machine and dryer and carrying laundry baskets for me. My DD are 6, 7, and 8 so I can relate to having a little one around.

Do as much as you can sitting down so you won't get as tired out. Standing really can take it out of you. Might cause backaches! It still does for me.

Don't forget to take care of yourself. Make sure you have your house stocked up with whatever you think you will need-Tylenol, Advil, stool softeners, food, money, etc....

Can you ask a neighbour to help you out if you are in a pinch?

As much as your DD is important, remember, that you are too and will be recovering from major surgery!

Good luck

ewok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2005, 11:28 AM

It really depends on if you can have your surgery vaginally or if they have to make an incision. I had an ovary removed years ago with an incision and it is much harder to recuperate. I just had a lap assisted vaginal total hysterectomy one week ago and I am up and walking around and fixing meals and am off my pain meds completely. A whole world of difference. Good luck to you!
Unread 02-24-2005, 11:28 AM

Hi shortcut58

I did fine with light "meals" by the end of the first week. Actually, in my house, meal time is much easier when my hungry DH is out of town. I love him dearly, but the kids are a lot easier to please because what they consider a meal is so much different than what DH considers a meal. Cereal for dinner? Yea! Hard boiled egg and toast? sure! Fish sticks - Okie dokie! Grilled cheese and canned soup? - Fine. Apples, Cheese & crackers - that works. PBJ's,a banana & a Go-gurt?- Yum! Maybe your DD can help plan menus that she can prepare. Hope she's a terrific helper.

The one food item I missed not having enough of in the house those first 2 weeks was fruit. Like the other sisters said, stock up on convenience foods before your surgery. Maybe have DH stock up on fruits, veggies, bread, milk, etc. before he leaves for his trip.

Best wishes with your surgery and recovery~
s,
Beth
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM

You'll be fine. Just plan simple meals. Some days are better than others. Listen to your body. You daughter will feel like a big girl if you let her help you. Ask your hubby to make sure you are stocked up on easy to prepare foods before he leaves. I had TAH on 12/17, about 4 days later I was able to make myself sandwiches or other simple meals. Try not to worry. You'll do fine.
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:44 PM

I had an LAVH. At the end of a week I had no problem cooking a meal for my kids. Granted it wasn't gourmet, and I didn't do much else during the day but it was do-able for me. Everyone's experiences are different.

I made sure to have a lot of easy to fix meals on hand after my surgery. We ate alot of hamburgers, mac and cheese with hot dogs, spaghetti and frozen skillet dinners. We also had a lot of the bagged salad to round out the meals.

Good Luck on your surgery
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:48 PM

I was 100% by 5 days out. At 8 days I made a big traditional New Mexican Christmas Eve dinner--complete with birthday cake for me! At 9 days I made a big Christmas dinner. I was caring for a 12 year old, 6 year old, and a 4 year old.

Love and blessings,
Angie K.
Unread 02-24-2005, 02:05 PM

Whichever type of hyst you have you aren't going to be bedridden. You will need help with things like laundry, shopping, etc for a while. The suggestions of stocking up on easy to prepare foods is very important. Again, no matter what type of hyst the insides are going to be tender and you can't see how it's healing, or tell by pain or lack of it when you are all healed. At about 4 weeks post op I cooked a casserole. It went into the oven ok, but the combination of bending, lifting, and straightening to take it out was too much. I hurt myself, and made it worse by not putting it right down, but getting the casserole to the counter.

Be sure to read the Pre and PostOp checkpoints for more hints and ideas to help you prepare for recovery.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks a;;!

I guess I have the jitters, I am almost 47 and have never had major surgery, plus I am a bit out of shape, tummy bulge, my 7 yr old, although sweet, is a high attention child being an only child, she seems to always need or want something. But I have been talking to her about helping mom out after surgery.
Thanks for the tips on food prep in advance and meds like Gas X etc. I dread this, as I am sure it is going to hurt bad, but I know down the road, I'll be glad it was done. I have had problems for years, hormonal, fibroids, cysts, dysplasia twice, heavy bleeding etc. They say I will be on a low dose estrogen tab for a couple more years, but it shouldn't cause any side effects such as migraines or mood swings or elevate my already high blood pressure,has anyone else had a positive experience on the after low dose estrogen thing? Should I be asking this question in the post - op forum?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register