Depression....Hysterectomy related? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression....Hysterectomy related? Depression....Hysterectomy related?

Unread 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Depression....Hysterectomy related?

Hello ladies, I'll be 6 weeks out on 3/16 from TAH, I kept my ovaries. At about 3 weeks depression started creeping in. Depression isn't usual for me, although I was on ADs for a year 3 years ago for a situational issue.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is surgery related, if my hormone levels are out of whack or if something else is going on.

I'm sad, discouraged, tired, unmotivated, scared. I cry frequently and find myself self medicating with either alcohol or food. I guess I'm afraid I'll become and alcoholic or gain 100 pounds. My DH travels frequently, and is concerned about me. He wants me to talk to a counselor who has helped us with some family problems. Although, I think she is most likely to have me see someone to go on ADs.

I don't believe it's related to my loss of fertility, I'm in my late 40's, I had my tubes tied almost 15 years ago, I'm good with all that, I still feel like a woman.

Did anyone else have a bout of depression and have it resolve quickly without AD's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Re: Depression....Hysterectomy related?

Funny you should write this, I just had this conversation with my husband tonight. I too am not one that comes to depression very easily, but since about 4 weeks post op, I too have been dealing with the feelings that you talk about. Are you sleeping? I am going through the insomnia stage right now and think that that is adding to the feelings. Like you,I kept the ovaries, and had my tubes tied a few years ago. Now, I know that I have had some complications and I am sure that that too is playing a role in my current depression, but my insurance has a nurse that followed up with me after surgery. She told me that after major surgery that that is possible, but that the doctor could prescribe something if it gets too bad. At this point, I am considering that. I don't think I have slept since stopping the pain meds, I am having hot flashes, and did tell the doctor about that, he is giving me until next week to see if the ovaries will wake up again. If not, then he will prescribe something.

Just want you to know that I do think that our hormones are out of wack, and I know that there is a definite connection. I would mention it to your doctor, and do pray that you are better soon. ((HUGS))
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM48 View Post
Hello ladies, I'll be 6 weeks out on 3/16 from TAH, I kept my ovaries. At about 3 weeks depression started creeping in. Depression isn't usual for me, although I was on ADs for a year 3 years ago for a situational issue.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is surgery related, if my hormone levels are out of whack or if something else is going on.

I'm sad, discouraged, tired, unmotivated, scared. I cry frequently and find myself self medicating with either alcohol or food. I guess I'm afraid I'll become and alcoholic or gain 100 pounds. My DH travels frequently, and is concerned about me. He wants me to talk to a counselor who has helped us with some family problems. Although, I think she is most likely to have me see someone to go on ADs.

I don't believe it's related to my loss of fertility, I'm in my late 40's, I had my tubes tied almost 15 years ago, I'm good with all that, I still feel like a woman.

Did anyone else have a bout of depression and have it resolve quickly without AD's?
I can certainly relate to this issue. I believe you had your surgery the same day I had mine. Mine came 5 DAYS after surgery and was AWFUL. I never, ever want to feel that way again. It went to 5 days to 3 weeks!!! I don't mean to be discouraging, but I will bet it is hormone related. My doctor put me on a hormone patch. It took 2 weeks to kick in, and I saw a difference. I was like you, wasn't sad because of the loss of fertility. It is a feeling you cannot explain. Sadness, isolation, uncontrollable crying at a moments notice. My doctor has even bumped mine up from villidot patch 0.05 to 0.75. I still have these roller coaster moments. I will be fine, and without notice, wham. I am scared because I go back in 1 week to work and don't want to go crying. Talk to your doctor now. Don't wait. We have to trust in them, even though they seem they don't understand. They do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2010, 09:07 PM

I have had insomnia issues for about 4 years, and was prescribed Ambien last summer, I usually only use them 1 -2 times a week. I have been using it a few times a week since my surgery. I know when I can't sleep everything seems worse.

My DH travels for work every week, he was home the first three weeks after my surgery, which was great and I was spoiled having him here. It's a big let down having him gone again, plus being post op and possible hormone issues. OY!!

I have an a post op appointment Friday, plus I may just go talk to the counselor too, lol.
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:44 PM

SAM48 -

The surgery can create an upheaval in hormones and also the brain chemicals. My surgical menopause was one part of things that caused me to go into clinical depression. This isn't common but is a possibility.

For me my counsellor was a Godsend.

Sending

G.
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:26 AM

I had my hysto on Feb. 25th. I kept my ovaries. I believe the depression is related to the hysterectomy. My doctor told me to go get some black cohosh and it is working. Hope this helps, hugs.
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Hi girls, it is all hormonal related. My hormones dropped out in November, and that's when mine started. One minute I was fine then that night wow! My doctor put me on an antidepressant and anti anxiety med, took them for five months didn't notice much difference. Now, I'm taking 5-HTP and B12. It's working about the same, and is a lot better for you. They are all natural, 5-HTP is from plant extract and builds serotonin, while the chemical antidepressants tries to keep the serotonin that your brain has from leaving. Lack of estrogen causes lack of serotonin. Low serotonin causes depression. Hope this helps explain things a little better for all of you.
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM

What is black cohosh? Also, is 5-HTP an over the counter med, like a vitamin? And do we need to know if our body is lacking serotinin or just assume it is. Sorry so many questions.

I did hear about B12 and has anyone heard about soy milk for hot flashes? I do not want my roller coaster emotions to lead to depression or worst yet clinical depression.

Could I assume that since I have been on the villidot patch, and my symptions have improved, that I truly needed the boost in hormones?
But will I ever be able to be without them. Have other ladies tried natural HRT.
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:24 PM

Black Cohosh and 5-HTP both can be purchased in the vitamin section of any drug store. Depression symptoms are caused by a drop in serotonin, so I have been told by a psychologist. I heard about soy milk, but if you use it in mass quantity it can cause complications. My daughter is a vegan, and currently switched to Almond milk because of this. I heard from a friend of mine that is into selling herbal supplements that evening primrose works well for hot flashes. That can also be bought in the vitamin section. All of us need a hormone boost after this surgery. I've been told that if you have your ovaries, they need time to wake up and if you had them removed then you're thrown into surgical menopause. My doctor won't put me on any hrt, just wants them to do it naturally. So I am stuck with this so called depression until God and I can get it under control.
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM

I always have a post surgical depression a couple of weeks after surgery. Make sure you keep walking.

Going to see your counselor is a great idea. I am going on Monday myself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register