Gas pain, when does it let up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gas pain, when does it let up? Gas pain, when does it let up?

Unread 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Gas pain, when does it let up?

I had Davinci procedure on 1/3. Removed uterus, cervix and remaining ovary. One ovary was taken 10 years ago using open procedure. Endometriosis and adhesions also done during procedure. I've been very uncomfortable with gassy feeling since the procedure. I started burping 1day post op which has helped a bit but still quite a bit of pressure and pain up in my shoulders. My bowels don't seem to be activating as quickly. I'm up and walking and drinking a lot of water. The advice from my doc. When did the gas pain stop and the bowels activate? Is there a point when I should contact the doc?

Additional info, my doc had me do a bowel prep before the procedure so I'm also wondering if there just isn't enough in my system to activate things. I'm not eating much as I get full very fast, nor am I very hungry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Re: Gas pain, when does it let up?

Hello
I feel your gas pain. My surgery was jan 3rd also had the bowel prep. Im having major issues passing the gas as well. I have tried walkin as much as I can, drinking warm water, even tried heat on my belly with no results. I have not started to eat solid meals just yet. I have been trying to look for different ways on getting rid of the gas but have yet to come up with any solutions. If I stumble across any and they work I will let u know asap as I know how frustrated and sore u are right now. Hope the rest of your recovery goes well. Happy healing
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM

Thank you only32! I have had some relief in my shoulders with heated neck wrap. I've not tried putting heat on my belly. Heat was my "goto" for my cycle pain, but was concerned about using it post surgical. I forced myself to eat a bit today but I'm still mostly liquid diet. What I am eating is high fiber, high protein so I'm hopeful that may help. I too will let you know if I find any relief. I wish you the best in your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM

hello
I found peppermint tea and neat peppermint oil capsules (Colpermin in the UK) very helpful for gas pains. You should find the shoulder pain eases in a few days but may still have tummy gas for while.
I had a bowel movement after about 5 days but was a bit irregular for a few weeks. Lots of fruit and veg and fluids helped.
Hope you feel better soon, look after yourself x
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM

The best thing for me to get rid of the gas pain was to roll side to side in bed-this was suggested by the nurse in the hospital when walking was doing nothing for me. She also suggested laying on my left side. I started breaking uncontrollable winds after that-I wasn't even embarrassed because the relief felt so good.

I did not have a BM for 6 days postop because I had bowel prep before surgery and very low appetite after. On the 5th day I added milk of magnesia to the twice daily stool softeners per dr recommendation and I finally started going on the 6th. It wasn't painful-it was liquid and I went several times over the next couple of days.
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Hello,
Try Gas-X ( Simethicone) tablets for the gas. It helps a lot .Hope it is resolved soon. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register