Can't Sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Can't Sleep

My nerves are shot. I can't sleep. I take 10mg of Lexapro but it is not helping. I have tried everything with no success. I don't know if I should ask doctor for medication or just wait it out. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Can't Sleep

Hi!

When you say you have tried everything do you mean other medications or good sleep hygiene practices? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but just Google 'sleep hygiene' and you will find a ton of things you can do.

As far as medications, have you tried Ambien or Lunesta? Or the natural product melatonin? Trazodone works very well and is not addictive. The anti-anxiety meds, i.e. Xanax, Klonopin, etc., also work well. However, you have 3 weeks before surgery so may not want to be taking things like Xanax every day unless your doctor okays it!

Hope that helps!
Unread 03-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Can't Sleep

Haven't tried ambien but have tried lunestra and it puts me to sleep but doesnt keep me sleep. I have taken klonopin which does help me sleep but I guess I forgot a few issues I have. While I am dealing with my issue I have a daughter and mother who both have seizures so I have added stress. I live back at home with parents so I can help them and they can help me and I am just concerned about the pressure I am putting on my father so that could be why I cant sleep but I am going to discuss this with my doctor tomorrow and see if she can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Can't Sleep

Hi Carlotta

I think it makes sense to ask your doctor about something that would work for you. I'm sure you aren't the first patient who's had trouble sleeping before a hysterectomy, and it's only for a few weeks.

Meanwhile, is there anyone else who can help out with your mother and daughter if necessary? Perhaps knowing that they will be taken care of and that your father won't have to carry the full load could set your mind at ease.

I hope your conversation with the doctor tomorrow leads to something helpful for you.

Unread 03-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Can't Sleep

I do have family that will step in and help but I am the oldest child, and I enjoy making sure my parents and daughter are taking care of. I think I am just SCARED more than anything. I dont tolerate pain well and don't like being sick and not able to take care of myself
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Can't Sleep

I took both ambien & xanax & slept pretty well. Best wishes.
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Can't Sleep

scared35jrs,
I also don't tolerate pain well and don't like being sick. You didn't mention what type of hysterectomy you are having, but part of the fear, for me, was the unknown.

There's alot of good info on recovery on the posts. I wish I had spent more time on this site before my surgery, asking questions. You may find that the more you know, the less you are afraid.

Good luck to you.
Unread 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Can't Sleep

I am having a TAH with possible BSO....and today I came down with a cold.....cough....congested.....and less than 3 wks away....what else could go wrong????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register