Recovery - housework? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery - housework? Recovery - housework?

Unread 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Recovery - housework?

I have always been very obsessive about cleaning. I don't even let my kids clean their own rooms because they do it 'wrong.' I know that is bad but it is something that just takes me over. I can't even go to bed unless all of the laundry is done and the dishes are washed and put away. Normally this isn't much of any issue. I have my routine and it works well but I am really worried about how this will affect my recovery after the hysterectomy. My husband and kids will help and do what they can but I am scared that my cleaning impulses will take over and I will hinder my healing. I am reluctant to talk to my doctor about it because I don't want him to think that I'm crazy. Does anyone else deal with this? Do you have any advice that might help me relax post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Re: Recovery - housework?

I'm like you too, compulsive cleaner and it all has to be done right. I deep cleaned pre op as much as I could. My DH knew he would be taking over vacuuming, dishes, laundry, etc for several weeks. I'm almost 5 weeks post op now. This is my post op experience: Week one I was too out of it to care at all about the house. Week 2 I was starting to be aware that it was looking shabby, but still too sick to really care. Week 3 I was really starting to notice things weren't being done "my way" and it started to annoy me, but I was still weak and sore and didn't do much about it but be annoyed to myself. Week 4 I wanted to start doing things, but my DH kept yelling at me to go sit back down. My advice to you is to be grateful for any and all help you get.If you start cleaning post op you may prolong your recovery as you can have set backs if you over do it. ( you'll find that just taking a shower and getting dressed wears you out.). Your family isn't going to do things your way, but they will do it. If you complain they will stop helping. Bite your tongue, and learn to let things go.My Aunt had a hysterectomy 35 years ago and she called me with a funny story last week. She called to stress to me how important it was to heal properly and even when I was feeling better, still rest and don't over do. She told me she had 4 teenagers at home when she was recovering and her husband and all the kids took over all the household chores. She laughed, and told me that she literally watched her house fall apart, but knew if she got up and started doing it her way, or knit picked the way they were doing it, she would not recover as well. Good advice. It will be hard, but remember to be grateful for all their help. The world won't come to an end if they don't do it your way! Prepare your family now and maybe divide chores for the kids. They will not automatically do things if your not clear ahead of time as to what you are and are not allowed to do.

:cathugs:
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM

That is good advice Cathy. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I guess it will be a blessing in disguise when I am feeling too sick to care about the house. I will be very thankful to my family for their help and will not be critical of them. Thank you for your understanding. I'm glad that I'm not alone in this! I meet with the surgeon tomorrow to work out the details and get a definite date set so I am a little anxious today in anticipation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2012, 10:14 PM

with Cathb!
I did a big deep cleaning right before my surgery. Week one: completely out of it and hardly out of bed. Week two: still too sick to care. Week three: noticing the dirty laundry needing to be done but much too sore to want to pick it up. Week four: started to try to do things like light housework and easy meals but usually ended up in tears because I was too sore and weak to do much.

My DH and DS did an amazing job of preparing meals and keeping the house somewhat tidy. I learned to really let go of all my quirks about a clean house and things being done "my way". On my first day home from hospital, DH made some homemade chicken soup for me. It was wonderful, but in the process he splashed stuff here and there over my white kitchen cupboards. And there it stayed until I was about 4 months post op and felt well enough to sit on the floor and scrub it off.

We only have one chance to heal right, and after hearing the horror stories about women who lifted or strained too early and damaged themselves or ripped stitches I wasn't taking any chances.

I strongly suggest talking to your about your concerns. Don't worry about sounding nutty, because most women are the same way, to some extent. It's a completely valid concern and I'm sure it's not the first time he's heard it.
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:26 PM

SUGARANDSPICE I just loved your splashed chicken soup example. I went into the kitchen the other day and took a good look. I spent some time wiping up the counters, small appliances and stove, but had to ignore the front/bottom of stove and dishwasher, as I can't bend that low yet. Made me wonder what the heck DH does to make such messes. I had to stop and go rest, but boy did it make me feel better.
:cathugs:
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM

yes I wondered what DH did in there while I was resting in bed! And the splashes bugged me and I noticed them every time I went in the kitchen but it didn't bug me enough to try and clean them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register