I am finally going to do it... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am finally going to do it... I am finally going to do it...

Unread 05-14-2001, 06:27 PM
I am finally going to do it...

I have for over 9 years put off having a hysterectomy...mostly becuase I have heard so many horrible things about it. But it has come to the place I can no longer wait.
I can no longer jog nor do any fitness training without PAIN! There are numerous other reasons that are too many to say. I am 44 years old, a mom of 6 children, some of which are grown. My husband is very supportive of what I am doing, so that fear that he would not want me as much because of my body being scarred for life was a big issue that I have had to deal with. I have always prided myself in keeping my body fit and trim. I had six children and no stretch marks. So one can imagine my fear of looking someway. He has assured me that he would love me no matter what. (I know I am so stupid about that... )
Anywho, the surgery is set for Friday, May 18 at 2:30 p.m. ONLY 4 DAYS LEFT, oh God I think I am starting to panic and I am scared. I fear that I may become sexually disfunctional, or have some horrid problem that the HERS foundation has talked about that happens to most women.
But I can't hold off any longer. My uterus is now at the size of a 14 week pregnant woman. I truely feel like crying inside but I know that this really needs to be done.
I thought that I was brave. I have come to terms with the surgery being done, but I have so many worries. My daughter is coming from New York to help, bless her heart, she just had a baby April 9, my lil grandchild, Katherine.
And my boys, ages 9, 10, and 12 are still wondering what this is all about, even though I have tried to talk to them about it.
I hope I recover quickly. I have a feeling that I am in for pain, but I try to look at it like the pain will subdue and I will be better off in the long run... at least I hope so.
Someone please keep me in mind, that way at least I will know there are other women that have survived this kind of thing and are living healthy, happy lives now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2001, 06:39 PM

Please put your fears aside, and do not listen to the horror stories from the HER foundation.

It seems that you are worried about being sexually disfunctional. My experience has been that sex is just as good, if not even better than before, because I feel so much better and comfortable during sex. My libido has increased, if anything, so do not fear that at all.

I wasn't sure from your post whether you are having a vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy. I was scheduled for vaginal, but the dr ended up doing an abdominal because my uterus was larger than anticipated. I was afraid to look at the incision site, but it wasn't that bad. It has been 7+ months, and it is already fading to just a narrow line.

As far as recovery time, after the first two weeks, except for being easily tired, I started to feel so much better than before the surgery. I have since taken up Kick Boxing and Yoga - 2 activities that I never would have been able to do before surgery. So just relax, and just see how much better you are going to feel. It really is true - the waiting is the worst part.

js
Unread 05-14-2001, 06:46 PM
thank you for your support...

I have to have the hysterectomy done abdominally. Mainly because of the size of my uterus and when I had xrays done after a horse back riding accident they found that I have 3 kidney stems and also have spinal bifida.
So the dr doesnt want to take any chances with surgery when they do the cutting around the bladder. So I get a scar.
Thank you for your supportiveness. Your encouragement helps tremendously. My thoughts are eased when I hear about women such as yourself that are having positive experiences. I appreiciate your support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2001, 12:55 AM

Whatever you do, don't read all the negative crap that is out there. I have not gone to the HER foundation site but I'm going to guess they are negative and do not believe in hysterectomies and probably favor a great amount of alternative products and procedures. They probably have nothing but horror stories from women who have had surgeries.

If you read carefully all the threads at this site, you might notice a sense of worry and fear at first; normal and most everybody has some but then you also read about a lot of women who are looking forward to new, happier, healthier futures. Then you read all the stories of the women who found their surgeries were not as bad as they thought and how much better they feel now. Look to the positive, focus on a new beginning of health.
Best of Luck!
Miranda
Unread 05-15-2001, 10:54 AM

Cloud,
This was my first surgery. I was 44 when I had it. I am now almost 1 year post op. I am so glad that I had it done. My fibroid was 2.5 lbs. The Dr said he wanted to remove it abdominally. Vertical incision.

I am an aerobic instructor and personal trainer. I was instructing or going to a minimum or 6 classes per week. Lifting 3 times per week. I had an easy recovery.
Since you are a fit person you should be able to bounce back from this without problems. The things that may cause probs would be the spinal bifida and the 3 kidney stems.

I was scared to death because I didn't want to become an unfit person because of this. And because of that I have worked especially hard the last 6 months to be more fit than before. I never compromised my recovery. I laid off activities like skiing, bowling, softball,or anything that needed twisting actions. I worked my way up to where I am now, very gradually.

Yep there is a scar there. But you know what it reminds me how bad things were getting. I am proud of my scar and feel blessed to have had such a great dr to operate on me, husband to love me and care for me, children who supported me, and a great network of friends.

Please be at peace. Hers foundation opts to endure suffering. My sexual life has become more functional due to lack of pain, lack of blood, lack of moodiness. Libido is good.

When you are home after your surgery, start walking. Very short distances. The goal here is to heal fully and quickly not go on marathons just to say you did so. Be kind to yourself. Take the full 6 weeks to recover. Spend some time with yourself. I think many of us are uncomfortable with ourselves that we have to find things to keep busy with. Use this time to reflect on who you are. Your values and morals. This has been the greatest year of my life! I am serious!

Blessings
Take a peak at my webpage listed in my signature to get an idea about fitness after surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register