dumb question? maybe | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dumb question? maybe dumb question? maybe

Unread 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
dumb question? maybe

Anyway, what keeps the ovaries from falling out of the body after surgery. I was talking to a friend about my surgery and we both wondered. She had a hyst. but they took everything from her. Just wondering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Re: dumb question? maybe

Well , I would think its both the Tubes they are attached to and the fact that the Vagina is sewn shut by way of the cuff..LOL..Keeps things from fallin' out!
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM

I had everything removed including the tubes. Left ovaries only. I do not know how they stay in place. I am going to my follow up apt. on Thursday and I am going to ask him that among other questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM

The same ligaments that held them before. Those are not removed, just "re-routed" for support.
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM

The ovaries are attached to ligaments, which are attached to your pelvic bone, I think. When I first got my hysterectomy, if I laid on my right side I felt like my left ovary was hanging from my pelvic bone like a chandelier. LOL
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeave2 View Post
I had everything removed including the tubes. Left ovaries only. I do not know how they stay in place. I am going to my follow up apt. on Thursday and I am going to ask him that among other questions.
same here! uterus is gone as well as tubes.
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks Ladies.
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:52 PM

In biology class, we disected a few critters, & the ovaries are partially supported by the ligaments & partially supported by a mesh-like structure (fascia) in the abdominal cavity. They will reroute some of the ligaments, but the fascia will help hold things, sort of like a spider web.
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM

This post made me laugh. I had a neighbor of mine sitting with me one day weeks before surgery, I had tons of pamplets & books on fibroids & hysterectomy. We were looking at the diagrams. I knew they'd leave my ovaries but ALL the pics show them attached only to the uterus, so I got nervous, then my neighbor got nervous, which made me worse. She said you need to call & find out, you don't want them floating in there (which is what I was thinking) So I see the doctor, and I ask this question in a panic. He calmly gave me an answer (which I don't recall) but he surely looked at me like I was nuts. Thinking back now, I feel terrible asking and doubting that he knew how to leave them and keep them attached. As if I was the first person to ever have this "experimental procedure"....floating, unattached ovaries.
Don't take this wrong, I'm not making fun of you or passing judgment for being concerned, I was too, terribly so. Just looking back now it was so troubling to me, that I think it's funny.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register