uterine artery embolization or hysterectomy, that is the question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uterine artery embolization or hysterectomy, that is the question? uterine artery embolization or hysterectomy, that is the question?

Unread 06-21-2001, 07:48 AM
uterine artery embolization or hysterectomy, that is the question?

I've been given the choice of a supracervical hysterectomy or uterine artery embolization. The UAE is a much quicker, way less invasive choice, with very good outcomes. It's only been used for 5 years in the states and new things scare me. I'm tempted to go with the tried and true. I'm not a risk taker. I know all there is to know about embolization. What I'd love a response to is has anyone out there had to make this decision. I would love any feedback.

Cincee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2001, 11:48 AM
search

Hi, if you go to the top of the page and press search, then use the word embolization you will find several posts on this topic. I hope this helps.
Unread 06-21-2001, 03:54 PM
uterine artery embolization or hysterectomy

hi!! i wish i could have had my fibroids done by UAE,but they aren't the only reason for my hyst. if you have studied all the alternatives,and still go with a hyst,it seems pretty clear that there would a good reason for doing so. i had pretty much come to the conclusion that i'd be facing a hyst sometime this year,since i'd had most of my cervix removed during biopsy. i had a LEEP in january,then the second in march. the margins weren't clear after the first LEEP,making a second one the obvious choice. my doctor gave me the option of going for a colposcopy,or another LEEP. i said that since we knew what we were dealing with already,why prolong the process? just do the second LEEP,and see how much comes back. well,the second one got it,or i'd have had the hysterectomy in april!!! that would've been her next step in fighting the cervical problem. she said she wouldn't do more than 2 LEEP's; without getting results after 2,we'd be back in surgery,this time for the big 'H'. i wish you luck with the UAE,though. hope all goes well,if that is what you decide on. my hyst is scheduled for 7/24/01. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2001, 10:29 AM
u.a.e.

I just spoke to the leading athority on u.a.e. yesterday. The july ob/gyn journel is running the results of the first large study in the U.S.. You should get your hands on it. My fibroids are now at the 20wk. size and he advised me to either go on lupron to shrink them first or opt for surgery because the u.a.e. might only reduce the size of uterus enough to start urinary frequency again. hope this helps, good luck.
Unread 06-29-2001, 02:46 PM
uterine artery embolization or hysterectomy, that is the question?

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback re: embolization. How would I get a hold of the ob/gyn journal? Any ideas?
I was actually scheduled for my hyst two days ago and something went wrong with insurance, so now I'm back to rethinking my options.

I'm just real nervous about the long term effects of the embolization since it hasn't been done for very long. I know with the hyst at least the problem will be solved for good. Both options have risks, but hysterectomies have been done for so much longer. I just don't know if I go for the embolization if I'll always worry that they will find some horrible side effect some time down the road.
I need to do something in the next 2 weeks as I bled so much last month I needed a blood transfusion and I'm still bleeding even though I'm
on ovcon (birth control) to stop the bleeding. Unfortunately, I don't have the liberty of waiting very long. My bleeding is a serious issue even though my fibroids aren't huge.
Anyways, this decision has been driving me crazy. I am so nervous for surgery, but I think it may be the right decision for me.
Thanks for the feed back.
Cincee
Unread 07-01-2001, 03:09 PM
uterine artery embolization or hysterectomy

hi!! it seems that when fibroids cause menorrhagia,it's becoming more of a common thing to put the patient on oral birth control to regulate the flow and relieve the cramping. this is what my doctor did when i first came to her office. of course,i'd had the fibroids for about 2 years before they got to the point that i was bleeding heavily each month,but rather than risk the need for transfusion,i went right on the Pill,and only stopped with this last Pill,for yesterday. that was the end of that cycle. now i will wait to see if i get my "last" period before having my hyst. i am looking forward to that day when i don't need "pads" or "plugs" or Pamprin for moodiness and irritability. most people i've talked to about the hyst being performed for fibroids tell me that i will feel so much better without the equipment there for them to grow back into,and my cervix is all but a memory after two LEEP's. i am supposed to be keeping the ovaries,depending on how things look when she opens me up. my fibroids "pop out" of my sides,like hernias. sometimes,they're incredibly painful,but most times,the cramps are just annoyingly "there",especially in the morning when i wake up. i've been having more frequent episodes of night sweats,too. i am perimenopausal since 1993(even though my long-time ob/gyn wouldn't accept my age as a factor; at 38,he was still insisting i was "too young",so i insisted he send me for labs on my hormone levels,and... ta da!! i was in the earliest stage-perimenopause!!!!) on this matter,you have to make your decision for the long-term effects of the problem balanced with the expected,and sometimes not so expected outcome of the chosen remedy. everything has pro's and con's,unfortunately. i don't want my family to face the prospect of worse outcomes than a hyst,so i am doing it for them,as well as for myself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register