Does the doctor fill stomach up with gas before surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does the doctor fill stomach up with gas before surgery?? Does the doctor fill stomach up with gas before surgery??

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Does the doctor fill stomach up with gas before surgery??

I had a tubal last year and I remember the pain from the gas still being in me, trying to come out! ! It took 5 days for it to totally be gone...The pain in my chest and shoulders was worse than the actual pain from that surgery. ..Do they use the gas during a hysterectomy too??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Re: Does the doctor fill stomach up with gas before surgery??

Yes, the gas helps to keep your organs separate. Easier for surgery. After you wake up, ask to have pillows under your knees/legs, it will help for the gas to move out faster.
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:16 PM

NOT what I wanted to hear!!! That hurts so bad, pain pills didn't help at all....I pray this time it'll be better..(doubt it tho) How long does the whole surgery take??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2014, 10:23 PM

Depends on what all they do. Mine was only 2-1/2 hours long. Drink lots of water, get up and walk, and keep knees bent/elevated when lying down. You'll be fine!
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM

The gas is painful but my best advice to you is to get up and walk as soon as you are able to. It helped me so much. Have some Gas X on hand to it will help but for me walking often really got things moving. As far as length of the surgery it all depends on the type of surgery and what all needs to be done. For me mine was relatively straight forward so I mine was about an hour and a half. Hope this helps you and good luck.
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Thank y'all....I appreciate the help! I'm 3 weeks til i talk to the surgeon about my surgery. ..I wish it was tomorrow. ...I stay thinking about it from the time I wake up til i go to sleep...Im constantly thinking of questions to look up or ask ans just reading posts on here from other women.. . ...Im ready for this to start so I can relax a little...
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:37 AM

I had a lap about 6 yrs ago, tubal 8 yrs ago. I will agree that the gas is the worse! I was never told to take Gas-X but i will have some on hand this time. Mine is 6 days away and I'm constantly thinking about it!!! Cant wait till this is over with! Good Luck to you, I will let you know how it goes!
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:21 AM

MK0628----I wasn't told about Gas-X either...Was told that I needed to burp as much as I could....This time I'll have it...And as I've read, I'll start some laxitives a few before surgery to keep my bowels regular....Don't want the pain that comes from having to strain to potty!!!
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:28 AM

I agree that the pain on shoulders was worst than surgery site, which I had a vertical abdominal incision. I wasn't told before hand that gas pain could be so painful. Until I notified my night nurse and she told me indeed doctors use gas to get a better look. I walked a lot as well and just tried to keep my shoulders covered & warm, and that helped me. But I would never forget the shoulder pain!
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM

Im scared. My op is tomorrow!! My friend had the same op and she aaid the same, that the gas pain is worse than the op pain. I think I will drive to the pharmacy and see if they do a uk version of gas x. Thanx for the warning and good luck ((((hugs)))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register