I'm a newbie | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-13-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm a newbie

Just joined today but not scheduled not scheduled to have surgery until January 24th.

This was my fist visit to this website and so far I have found much useful info and even laughed a bit.

My last child was a c-section so I'm hoping the pain trauma will be much less than that. The idea that I can't drive for several weeks might send me over the edge.

People tell me to enjoy the time off, but I like what I do so the idea of being away from the office and being forced to be still gives me more stress then the operation itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm a newbie

Hi smdiego,

to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm sorry that you are facing surgery, I am glad that you found HS and are enjoying it. I haven't had a C-Section, so I can't give you any personal experience, but there is definitely a difference between the procedures. With a hysterectomy, an internal organ will be removed, plus (depending on the type of hyst that you have), you will either have internal sutures or both internal and external which need time to heal, just as your C-section sutures did.

Be sure that your doctor and anesthesiologist know about the pain that you had with your C-section - there are many different types of pain meds available, and you may need a totally different kind of anesthesia.

Please be sure to read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints. They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

Also, don’t forget to go back into your control panel and add your surgery date to your profile so you'll be on the calendar and will receive a special greeting from Hyster Sisters.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

S
Unread 12-13-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm a newbie

Hi. Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I too had previous c-sections, so I was ready for the type of surgery that was coming. I guess what I can tell you is that you will be ahead of the game b/c you will know what to expect on the hospital stay, how to get out of bed from lying flat, and so on.

The surgeries have similarities and differences. Remember for a c-section they were only cutting into one area (the uterus), for a hysterectomy (depending on the kind) you will have other areas that kind of just ache. If I learned anything after my TSH/BSO 11/17/04 was that the pain medicine was helping. I chose not to fill my second bottle of Meperidine (pain meds) as I thought I was not needing it anymore. It is better to have it ..as I found out the pain medicine helps you to sleep and REST! I had my second one refilled and only used half. The aches will subside.

A few suggestions to help your post-op time at home...get
several movies from your local library (free), a reliable heating pad, and I love my feather mattress because it is soo...cool and relaxing!

I also had to wait as long as you "preparing"...take it easy. You will be fine. Try not to compare surgeries...just get a good mental attitude that you CAN do this. The few aches and pains I have are so worth not dealing with the monthly/bimonthly junk!

Good luck. Email me with questions.
Allison (Ali P.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm a newbie

Hi and welcome.

One of the things that helps us all through so much is hearing from other people facing the same situations. Each of our situations "tweak" a little different (i.e. previous C sections or not)...but just like childbirth (whatever form!)...you find alot of women who have made it through.

I had 2 previous C-Sections 16 years ago and I can't remember much (except it did hurt to get up after)...but I know I survived :-). Now I'm 16 years older, and more anemic (from the bleeding) so...I'm thinking that it might take a little longer to get up and back to normal...but I'll get there. This time I won't have to run around after a 2 year old...so maybe it will all even out.

I guess my comment of understanding is the work thing. I co-own my own company with my husband and I'm trying not to panic on how it will all work. I'm re-working how I can do things at home, but not everthing can be done at home.

Bottom line though is...I have to have this surgery. And the world will go on (as well as the business) without me. I guess I've realized that without health, life is especially tough. This is something I can take care of, to make sure my organs get enough oxygen (not always in an anemic state).

Take care and keep us posted. My TAH is on 12/28.

Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register