number of doctors performing surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

number of doctors performing surgery number of doctors performing surgery

Unread 12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
number of doctors performing surgery

My doctor had another doctor in her practice helping her during my procedure. Apparently you really need three hands to do the LSH (one for each incision I guess!) and it is common to have the help. I was told 90 minutes and when I came out they said it ended up being 93 minutes and would have been faster if they hadn't found a huge cyst on an ovary I was keeping and taken the time to remove it. I surely didn't care about the extra time, it flew for me ha ha. She did tell my husband (after the Versed hit) that if all goes as expected they usually take an hour but they say ninety minutes to be safe. At my post op she said again that the actual LSH took an hour and the cyst removal/bladder dye check/surprise endio took the half hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2006, 02:29 PM

I do know that my doctor will have at least one other doctor there. I am having the LSH also.
Unread 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM

It is typical for a surgeon to have at least one assistant physician during surgery. My GYN, who is a surgeon, performed my hyst with the help of an assistant.

Unread 12-04-2006, 04:51 PM

I had 2 Dr's (plus assistants) doing my LSH/BSO, and then another Dr who came in after they were done and did my bladder suspension. Took over 7 hours for both surgeries.
Unread 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM

my gyn was my surgeon and he had another gyn/surgeon assisting him.
Unread 12-04-2006, 10:03 PM

My surgery was a robotic assisted lap- my urogynocologist worked the "arms" while the Head of Gynocology and a Surgical resident assisted. There was also 3 medical students observing, because the procedure is new to our area- it was like a three ring circus (or so it seemed until I was knocked out)
The surgery was supposed to take 4-5 hours, I also had repairs done, but due to some minor complications, it took a little over 7 hours.
I was in the hospital 2 days- I was supposed to stay 3, but once they took the catheter out, I wanted to go home!
Unread 12-05-2006, 07:15 AM

My GYN also had a few residents. One of them helped stitch me back up. She told me he was excited to help on me since giant fibroids don't come along every day. When he came to visit me I asked if it met his expectations, and it did, haha. She asked if I was alright with a couple of students "observing" and I said fine - they have to learn somehow.

I was scheduled for 2 hours - but I was in and out in under 1.
Unread 12-05-2006, 07:44 AM

I was told by my gynecologic oncologist that she would have a urologist on call in case my cyst had attached itself to my bladder.
Truly, I have no clue who was in the OR with me, as I was out cold before we got there. Could have been Bozo the Clown and the Radio City Rockettes for all I know.
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM

At my surgery in April there were 7 Drs in the OR. My Gyn traveled over an hour to the teaching hospital where I had the surgery to assist my Uro/Gyn with the surgery. The Uro/Gyn's Fellow was there along with 4 residents. There were so many people in the room that the OR nurse told my Gyn where to stand to observe the procedure. She thought he was a student because he is so young looking. She was very surprised when he whispered to her, "I'm her Dr". The day after the surgery Drs kept stopping in to see how I was doing telling me they observed my surgery. I finally asked if anyone had sold tickets for the event!!!
Michelle
Unread 12-05-2006, 09:58 PM

For my LSH I just had my one dr. and his team of nurses, etc. It only took about an hour. You'd be surprised how much they can do in that time! I don't think it will go faster with more people, though. They'll still only be able to do so much at a time no matter how many people there are. For my 2nd surgery it was my dr. again and a resident.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register