Pain Management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Management Pain Management

Unread 03-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Pain Management

I had a TAH / BSO on 3/2/06 and I'm slowly tring to increase my activity and have had some increased pain. I was also only issued 20 percoet pain pills and they are gone. When I called for a refill, the nurse told me that the dr. absolutly would not refill that! I asked for something else and was given darvocet that don't seem to work as well as the other prescription. I'm also taking the Motrin every 6 hours as well but have more pain now than when I came home from the hospital. How many pain pills are normal, when should we be off of them? My only followup to the surgery is at 5 weeks. I see from other threds that some are seen at 2, 3, or 4 weeks how do you know when you should be seen if you are still having pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Pain Management

You should not be in the kind of pain that affects your functioning. It sounds like you are already wisely synergizing your narcotics with intermittent Ibuprofen. Were you taking painkillers prior to surgery? I know that we can develop a desensitization to pain meds if we've been on them for long periods of time, especially if you were in pain with preop symptoms.

That 5 week postop visit set up by your doc is just routine. Postop problems are not part of the routine, and should be discussed with your doc.

Most will not refill a prescription without investigating why your prescription is not taking care of business. It is not a good idea for them to just call in another refill, without making certain you do not have an unforseen problem that is causing the unrelenting pain.

I believe it is important for you to call the doc's office again, and ask for an appointment to be seen...........unless he/she is willing to speak with you personally on the phone, of course.

Let us know how it goes, OK? Take care.........s...Deb
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:34 AM
Pain Management

We had our surgery the same day. I haven't taken any pain meds for a couple days now. I found that taking 600 or 800 mg. Motrin did help when I needed it and that's what I took once or twice a day for the past week or so.
I would call the doc and ask to be seen if your pain is still at the level where you need Percocet. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Pain Management

Nobody has the same level of pain. If you are not comfortable with you are taking Iagree, see your MD face to face and have an exam to determine your pain. Motrin did not do it for me. I took Percocet for 2 weeks following my surgery and discovered the reason I still had a higher level of pain was because I pulled my left groin area, something I never would have known unless I saw the doctor. Second, don't let anyone intimadate you,especially a secratary or nurse into thinking you do not need pain medication,that is between you and your MD. Best of luck.
Unread 03-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Pain Management

dear Sister, Yes, everyone's pain IS different! My surgery was 4 weeks ago today, and due to my bladder sling, I am still on pain meds. Sometimes 5 a day. (I have an increased tolerence due to a back surgery last year, but also an increased pain tolerance.) It does sound like you need to sit down with your Dr again, or get checked. My 2nd week, my Dr saw me in his office twice and did an exam because the pain was so bad. The ligaments are pulled due to the attachment. It looks like you had this procedure too. You know when you are hurting so don't let them brush you off!
BTW--Alternating ice packs and a heating pad really helped my pain level! Ask your Dr first!
Let us know how you are doing and best of luck to you!Take care.....

s,
Christie
Unread 03-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Pain Management

Thanks for the feed back! I was not taking any pain meds prior to my surgery. I took it very easy yesterday, not much walking or anything else for that matter, and I woke up today feeling less pain. Maybe I was just overdoing. I will start doing some limited driving today. I'm going to see how that goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register