Gastrointestinal mess :D | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gastrointestinal mess :D Gastrointestinal mess :D

Unread 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Gastrointestinal mess :D

I am a little over 5 weeks post op Davinci surgery and my incisions have healed beautifully. My problem is my intestinal tract. I am having lots of problems with my bowels and I am eating very well and have even lost 4 pounds but at least every 4 days I am constipated and the last time it really scared me because I thought I was going to rip something and had rectal bleeding. I have a call in to my doc but I guess it is just going to take a while to regulate and so for now it is stool softeners and lots of water and fiber....plus had a super awful headache at exactly the five week mark ...put on my hormone patch and now I am laughing instead of crying and no more headache. It was a night and day difference. God bless and hope everyone is recovering in their own special way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Re: Gastrointestinal mess :D

I know what you mean about the bowel thing. I haven't had an unassisted BM since my surgery on Aug. 5. My back hurts from never emptying completely. Colace, Benefiber, Miralax...nothing helps. I'm doomed, I guess. Glad you're feeling better, other than that!
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Hello sisters
My doc reckoned it could take a few months for the intestinal system to get back to normal as it gets a bit of a beating in the surgery... not sure how much comfort knowing that is but I hope that it means there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
I swing from constipated to loose movements and it is a bit annoying. I too have lost weight as because I am backed up I don't really want to eat, and I am eating lots of fruit and vegies to get everything going so I am unintentionally getting a really healthy low fat diet!
Gotta be some benefits!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zowmartinez View Post
I am a little over 5 weeks post op Davinci surgery and my incisions have healed beautifully. My problem is my intestinal tract. I am having lots of problems with my bowels and I am eating very well and have even lost 4 pounds but at least every 4 days I am constipated and the last time it really scared me because I thought I was going to rip something and had rectal bleeding. I have a call in to my doc but I guess it is just going to take a while to regulate and so for now it is stool softeners and lots of water and fiber....plus had a super awful headache at exactly the five week mark ...put on my hormone patch and now I am laughing instead of crying and no more headache. It was a night and day difference. God bless and hope everyone is recovering in their own special way!
I know exactly where yo uare coming from. I have major constipation since my surgery. I never had any bowel issues before this. I eat a fiber cereal every morning, take stool softner, miralax and a fiber bar in the afternoon. Plus lots of veggies and fruit smoothies and still have a heck of a time going. hope you feel better soon!
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:44 PM

"The Bowel Thing" does take some time to get resolved. I had a TAH with removal of scar tissue and other repairs so my bowels were funky for a LONG time- it took about three months or so post op to get back to normal BM's. Do take the fiber thing seriously- a good high fiber diet does help and so do stool softeners if you find yourself straining to go. Drinking plenty of water helps too. This too eventually passes but be patient with yourself. Allow yourself plenty of time for the #2 and don't stray too far from a bathroom in case you have to go NOW. It's more painful to go if you have to hold it awhile rather than going when nature says it's time. Good luck!
Unread 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Watermelon. One of the ladies on here suggested it...I agree whole heartedly!! It got things moving nicely! Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Unread 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM

hi everyone i had my hysterectomy in 2008 and have been dealing with these problems no one could figure out i have been searching the net and just screaming out what could this be and low and behold i just found out a couple days ago it is linked to my surgery, i have printed out pages and pages of women describing the same thing and taking this to my dr 9-24-2010 i will post on here what i find out.. does anyone know a fix for this? take care ladies, missy9806
Unread 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM

I too have been having problems with my bowels, I actually ended up in the ER from the pain, they did xrays and an abdominal CT and all he could relate it to was my bowels were full even though I was going they were full all the way up he said. This lower back pain is driving me nutz! They gave me mag sitrate to drink the morning they sent me home from the hospital and that made me have diaherra. Since I've been taking Miralax, this sucks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register