LAVH First Post Op appt?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Post Op appt?? First Post Op appt??

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
First Post Op appt??

Hello ladies! This has probably been answered, but I can't find it in the forum. I'm wondering what to expect at my first post op appointment. I'm a little late in posting this since my appointment is in a few hours, but any responses would be appreciated! Even though I'm only six weeks out, recovery has been long and stressful, I'm hoping to get good feedback from my doctor though!

Hope you're all doing well! Hang in there.. it does get easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Re: First Post Op appt??

My first post op was yesterday but I was only at 4 weeks. We just talked about how I was handling menopause, my pain level, and if I had any problems. He looked at my incision to make sure all was well. My next appt is at 7 weeks and he'll do an internal exam then. He promised me it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe a little uncomfortable since it's been so long since anything was anywhere near there but not painful. Hope that helps.
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:29 PM

My first post op was at two weeks. All of my questions and concerns were answered and I go back to see him in a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM

Hello, Fellow Clevelander! I was born and raised there--miss it terribly sometimes! Always fly back for the "Melt Bar & Grilled" sandwhiches I miss so much.

Anyway, I am surprised about the varying post-op appt. schedules that I see here. 6 wks out and NO appt yet blows my mind. Then again, I had mine at 2 wks and he does not want/need to see me again--putting me at "6 wk all restrictions lifted" without knowing how I'm doing at that point. Egads.

Anyway, at my one and (apparently) only post op at 2 wks, we went over pathology report, operating room report, he pulled up my pics of the surgery so I saw my vaginal cuff (looks wicked, ick) and then the normal talking of how I'm feeling, any questions, etc. Only after I said I was feeling "swollen" in the vaginal area did he suggest an internal exam and thus used the speculum to take a peek. (Yes, swollen and abrasions). I left still feeling "undone" as "hmm, this is IT? No more visits? What if I have issues/questions? What if I can't lift my 75-120 lb patients at work at 6 wks? Am I really just "out of the woods" completely at the 6 wk mark? Etc.) He seemed surprised I told him I was emotional, always having that "just one more thing today is going to open a floodgate" kinda feeling as I "still have my two ovaries, so that shouldn't be an issue." IT IS!!! So now I'm feeling like I have the problem, it's all in my head or something. It's not, though. My husband says I am crying in my sleep! I have weird, vivid dreams of my uterus being torn apart by that darn mortecellar thing and being disgarded as trash. I open my bathroom cabinets to see my tampons still there and I cry.

Sorry, got off topic. LOL Will surely go over path reports I would think and may/may not have an internal exam. Bring questions/concerns for sure.

Good luck, let us know how it went!
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:24 PM

I had a 2 week post op and next appt isnt til I am 10 weeks.
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:26 AM

Thanks ladies!! The appt went well for me. Went over reports and questions, etc. Then the internal exam.. I was freaked out! So afraid it was gonna hurt bad. It was a little worse than a routine pap, but not as bad as I had anticipated. My restrictions have been lifted, but I was told to still take it easy as I still have a ton of stitches left over.

@LadyLynda.. I have the same issues with the emotions. Our situations differ a little because my ovaries were not producing estrogen before the surgery so I was already out of balance. We left my ovaries in with the hopes that they will produce correctly but so far they're not. Still producing just not effectively. My doc suggested that we do hormone level checks every week to see which direction they're going in.. but that they may just take more time to wake up. Praying I won't have to go back on HRT! For your sake I'm hoping yours are just "asleep" still too!

Hang in there ladies.. we're almost there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register