TAH Cold/flu | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Cold/flu

I am 3 weeks post and doing great until this week when I developed a severe upper respiratory infection. Despite presc cough syrup, I have coughed so much that my stomach is sore and swollen more. Could I have injured or pulled stitches loose this far out? Weekend and dr closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Re: Cold/flu

Hun I would call your doctors office and talk to the doctor on call. Maybe they can call you in something. You need a cough surppressant You need to be treated for this even if you have to go to the ER. Please keep us informed
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:01 PM

oh you poor thing, that was the one thing I was terrified of picking up.
Make sure you press a cushion on your tummy when you cough and try and "huff" more than cough.
If the pain in your tummy perseveres then sounds like you should get in touch with the doctor as you are still in the early days of your healing.

Hope all is okay x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Cold/flu

Agreed. Thank you :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazwaz View Post
oh you poor thing, that was the one thing I was terrified of picking up.
Make sure you press a cushion on your tummy when you cough and try and "huff" more than cough.
If the pain in your tummy perseveres then sounds like you should get in touch with the doctor as you are still in the early days of your healing.

Hope all is okay x
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM

I ended up with this about a week post op. It was awful and lasted about 2 weeks. I coughed so much that I thought I would die. It eventually went away, and I just took over the counter meds to help. Honestly I think it helped to strengthen my stomach muscles because now when I cough or sneeze, it doesn't even hurt!
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Cold/flu

I'm glad you are feeling better. It stinks because I was just starting to feel better from surgery and now this. I am thankful that I home from work though. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actyler View Post
I ended up with this about a week post op. It was awful and lasted about 2 weeks. I coughed so much that I thought I would die. It eventually went away, and I just took over the counter meds to help. Honestly I think it helped to strengthen my stomach muscles because now when I cough or sneeze, it doesn't even hurt!
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Cold/flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgallamore View Post
I'm glad you are feeling better. It stinks because I was just starting to feel better from surgery and now this. I am thankful that I home from work though. :-)
Thanks! It will hurt in the beginning because you aren't use to using those muscles but it does get better! I was told if I bleed then call the dr, but they are all different. Just remember to hold tight to your stomach whenever you cough, it will help. I skipped the pillow and just used my hands..felt better!
I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:32 AM

Hope you feel better. Using the pillow should help you to not have so much pain. Just take it easy and make sure you get plenty of fluids. Hope you feel better

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register