Scheduled dVH/RALH What's a hyst recovery like compared to a c-section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's a hyst recovery like compared to a c-section? What's a hyst recovery like compared to a c-section?

Unread 02-11-2012, 01:59 PM
What's a hyst recovery like compared to a c-section?

I've had 3 c-sections. Non of them a fun recovery. The pain is horrible the first 5 days. I didn't start feeling up to house hold chores until nearly 4 weeks post surgery.

I know both have a 6 week recovery time, but what's the pain like for someone who's had both procedures? I'm just trying o figure out what to expect when I wake up.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Re: What's a hyst recovery like compared to a c-section?

Hi Abagayle,

I've had 2 c-sections and I did not have problems at all. I was up and moving around right away.

I am post op 4 weeks and I did not wake up in pain at all. I had a lot of gas pain, but walking cured that. I am doing wonderful and have not had any pain that I had to take pain meds for or over the counter. I had help, but I did not need any so I sent everyone home.
I do not lift anything heavy, but I go shopping as I did before, but I do take it easy because I feel well I do not want to overdo and end up in hospital.

For me C section nor Hys was not as bad as I imagined it would be.

God bless and I hope that all goes well and you will have a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:24 PM

I thought the pain was comparable, but I was also lucky to not feel too much pain from either surgery. I only used advil starting on day two for both surgeries. The only difference is the healing time for your insides is 6-12 months for a hysterectomy. I don't remember my doctor saying that after my c-section.

For me, the gas pain was much worse than the incision pain. I had gas pain up under my ribs that was terrible! But with lots of water and walking, it passed in a few days.

I've made sure to be very careful and not overdo things, even though I feel great. I have a great hubby who is really treating me like a princess -- he still won't let me do the laundry after 7 1/2 weeks. I'm not complaining!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2012, 07:52 PM

I have not had a c-section, but I would think that a hysterectomy would be worse because you are removing an internal organ. I would think that there are more internal stitches, and a bigger adjustment for your body.

Here is an article on this topic.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register