Heavy lifting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heavy lifting Heavy lifting

Unread 01-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Heavy lifting

Hi Sisters,
I know we are to take it easy for at least 6 weeks and not lift anything heavy. But what about after that. I am used to hauling bales of straw, digging in the garden, lifting firewood, etc, etc. How do I know when I can without taking a trying and finding out too late that I shouldn't have lifted something?
Thanks for ALL the help. This site has kept me from going absolutely bonkers waiting for surgery!
Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi Jo,

A lot of ladies have jobs requiring heavy lifting. There are some doctors who impose permanent lifting restrictions, and I've heard that a few doctors say that ALL women should have permanent lifting restrictions.

My doctor gave me no restrictions at all on lifting, not even immediately after surgery. But I had learned from our Hyster Sisters here that I shouldn't be picking up anything over 10 pounds for at least 6 weeks. As it stands now, 8 months post-op today, I still feel it if I pick up anything too heavy.

So, check with your doctor. S/he will be able to tell you what you should be able to do after recovery.

s,

Lisa
Unread 01-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Heavy lifting

If your DR tells you it is ok to do heavy lifting after a certain amount of time post op, work up to it gradually! That way you will be able to tell when you are getting sore, and it won't be as bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Heavy lifting

My dr. gave me a 10 lb. limit, but believe me the first week home the heaviest thing I picked up was probably 1/2 gal. of milk and I thought that was too heavy! After my 1 week check-up to have staples removed I did a bit more. It's hard to guess what weighs 10 lbs. My kitten weighed 8 lbs. (at the time) and he felt like alot more. So, just take it easy as possible. At my 8 week check-up dr. upped me to 20 lbs. for 3 months. I'm sticking to it as best as I can. All is going well, just have to be careful not to over-do it. I'm now just over 10 weeks. You'll know it if you've done too much. So, listen if the dr. gives you limits. Hope all goes well!! ...Pam
Unread 01-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Heavy lifting

I am almost 7 weeks post TAH and am pretty back to 'normal life' but feeling tired in the evening. I worried beforehand how I was going to do this and that but you just do things in bits and pieces. I often have to make a conscious effort to 'remember' NOT to pick up things that look too heavy. As you heal your body in its own way will let you know if you are doing too much, following strict instructions of course!

Katherine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register