No smoking after midnight ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No smoking after midnight ? No smoking after midnight ?

Unread 01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
No smoking after midnight ?

The previous thread got me to thinking. I am wondering if any of you did not follow the "order" no smoking after midnight. Previous surgeries I have had the instructions were nothing to eat or drink after midnight and never mentioned smoking, well not that I remember anyway. So, did any of you ? Even though I don't smoke a lot a ciggy before I go sure would be nice . Hubby will probably have a hissy due to the order on the paper but I figure I won't be sleeping much the night before anyway so I can sneak one or two around 5am or so ( bad Debbie) LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 11:30 PM

ive had quite a few surgeries,and never has there ever been mention of me not smoking before hand,except this one...i was also wondering the same as far as smoking before hand,i cant see me,being a bundle of neres as im sure i will be because im already nervous and have those butterflies in my stomache,and on top of that,not being able to smoke....wont call for a pretty morning.....and i wonder,how could they find out really anyway??lol
Unread 01-07-2006, 11:34 PM

I don't know if they could find out. I was thinking maybe they test you before surgery to check certain levels of different things and that niccotine may pop up. I have no idea. I suppose I should not worry about it and just suck it up and do as told , but geeze ..................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 11:41 PM

first they take my dr.pepper after midnight,then the smokes....(((whaaaa))))).....i know my husband,and he wont let me smoke,im sure he will hide my cigs from me,but come on,its either a smoke,or a valium,one or the other..lol..and they may test for it,im not sure,i would hate for them to cancell my surgery because i have no will power and just had to have that one last puff...dern it anyway.....no smokes for us(((((whaaaaaa)))))))
Unread 01-08-2006, 12:03 AM

I remember my last surgery when I did smoke was no smoking and I thought I would die without my fix while in the hospital so I begged to leave early. I quit smoking in 2004 finally so I am no longer living my life around smoking; but I know what its like ladies and I seriously feel for you. I hate missing my coffee that morning and the thought of no make-up?

Anyway, smoking is determined by a urine test and it is sent to a special facility so I seriously doubt you will be tested. The reason why they don't want you do is the nicotine in your system and the oxygen level since you are going under general anesthesia. I must admit I did smoke on that last biggie surgery about 10 years ago when I wasn't suppose to. And the surgeon kept giving me pills to take with water also so I don't understand why they insist upon an empty stomach when they in turn gave me stuff to drink to coat my stomach plus pills and water.
Unread 01-08-2006, 12:14 AM

oh,i see your surgery is monday....good luck to you(((hopefullY))))))))...i will be praying for you...what type are you having?and have you had to wait a long time..the waiting is killing me..and they do tell us not to drink,and i understand why,then your right,they turn around and give us stuff themselves,i guess they know what there doing....but im sure gonna miss my dr pepper that morning...i drink my am dr pepper like most people drink coffee,...i actually get caffeine headaches if i dont have it......anyway....good luck to you,and keep us posted
Unread 01-08-2006, 12:32 AM

Yes I have had six previous surgeries. Some emergency. Obviously those prior to had no instructions. The ones that were planned all have had a no smoking order. I have never minded it myself. When my hyst. comes along I will ignore it then too. My state went and changed laws so that there is no smoking at or near the hospital. I know I will be forced to quit then. Im gonna take this oppertunity to quite. I do not have the will power to just put them down on my own. Any way. I have never had a problem with the smoking. Im my younger days they told me that sometimes the nicotine and stuff can react with the medications you may be given. I basically was told that I would vomit. So if you don't mind possibly throwing up than go for it. I am. Than again Im not an idol of health and well being right now any way. I figure would they rather have me calm or have my nerves combined with no nicotine. My doctor agreed with me this time lol. Good luck
Unread 01-08-2006, 02:17 AM

soniek, I am having a TVH, a posterior repair, possible anterior repair and if he has to tack the bladder before the other surgeon puts a bladder sling I will have to take home a catheter for 5 days. He is going to try and keep my ovaries but I signed if they are bad, they will be taken along with the tubes. Thanks for the prayers and best wishes to you also. I'll post as soon as I can when I get home from the castle.
Unread 01-08-2006, 02:26 AM

When my husband went into end stage liver failure and was in ICU in the summer of 2004, I was smoking outside in this special area of the hospital. There were two sisters sitting there. Striking up a conversation, I found out their father was in the room next to my husband. Their father was on a ventilator and on a food tube due to smoking complications. I knew then I was not going to pass from this world like that and stopped. Sometimes it just takes something different to force you to quit. I tried many times before and it was far too hard. I guess seeing that was all I needed. My prayers are with you ladies.
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:32 AM

I'm sure you'll find members here who have had a cigarette and who have beaten the odds of experiencing complications from smoking prior to surgery. But is it worth the risk? Below is just some of the information I found after doing a Google search using the words "smoking before hysterectomy".

Quote:
Cigarette smoke contains over 4000 substances, some of which are harmful to the smoker. Some constituents cause cardiovascular problems, increasing the blood pressure, heart rate, and the systemic vascular resistance. Some cause respiratory problems, interfering with oxygen uptake, transport, and delivery.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Quote:
Smoking or alcohol consumption can influence the way an anesthetic works in your body during surgery. Knowing whether you smoke or drink alcohol allows your anesthesiologist to choose anesthetics that are better suited to your condition

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anesthesia/SC00026
  Quote:
Harvey Woehlck, MD, Professor of Anesthesiology at the Medical College of Wisconsin, recently led a study regarding people who smoked within 24 hours of having surgery. The study found that people who considered themselves smokers, and who smoked within 24 hours of surgery, had more markers of restricted blood flow to the heart than those who considered themselves nonsmokers, prior smokers, or chronic smokers, who did not smoke before their surgery.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002485.html
The best thing for you is to follow your own doctor's instructions for an uneventful surgery and recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register