Vagina feels "hard" post hysterectomy and repairs??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vagina feels "hard" post hysterectomy and repairs??? Vagina feels "hard" post hysterectomy and repairs???

Unread 03-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Vagina feels "hard" post hysterectomy and repairs???

This might be a very weird question....or a very common one that no one has asked lately. I had a total vaginal hysterectomy on Feb 14 (Happy Valentine's Day!!) with anterior, "extensive" posterior, and perineum repairs...including repairs for a rectocele and extra stitches to hoist my saggy vagina up to a normal position. I was given a "porcine" graft to repair the posterior damage. I understand that there are many, many stitches up there......so it might make sense that my vagina (internal part) now feels "hard". I don't mean it feels that way FROM the inside...because I will not even insert my fingers to check, yet. But when I sit up in my computer chair I am very AWARE of my internal vagina. It doesn't hurt..it's just very uncomfortable to sit up right for any length of time . (Sitting in my recliner or against pillows in my bed is fine.) The only way I can describe it is it SEEMS like there is a broomstick in there..one that is slightly too big and a little too long! I know that's a VERY weird description and no, I have never had a broomstick up there! That's just the only way I can think to describe what it feels like! Anyone else have this feeling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Re: Vagina feels "hard"???

The only stitches I think in my vagina are from the bladder sling, and it's swollen in a weird way around that area. Had it checked today and was told it's normal. I am very aware of this area and it makes sitting up straight very uncomfortable after a short time. So it might be some swelling while everything heals. And I did feel the area inside and it feels hard, not soft or tender.

I don't want to imagine this feeling in more than one spot so I hope it gets a lot better for you very quickly!
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Re: Vagina feels "hard"???

sounds odd... you did have extensive repairs done, so it may be normal, I would call Dr. just to make sure its normal.

Hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Re: Vagina feels "hard" post hysterectomy and repairs???

It is always a good idea to check with your doctor if you have concerns. I had a very similar operation as you more than 2 years ago. You are most likely at the point that the sutures are starting to absorb or are close to it which is likely why you are starting to be more aware of them. I found it very hard to sit comfortably for long periods of time until about 4 months post op. It got better week by week but those are very sensitive areas to have sutures.

:hyshugs4
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Thanks Molly, and others...I appreciate the replies! I just wanted to hear from someone else that had the same type of surgery, and experienced the same type of feeling. My doctor has yet to return my phone calls. I had to make an appointment to see him in order to to talk to him the first time......at one week post op, and he has yet to respond to my second phone call...and it has been a week! If I was having pain or bleeding I would be concerned...and force the call. This is just "weird", and I feel better just hearing from some women that understand...and care! So thanks again!
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:50 AM

I believe that you and I have had the same surgery. I know the feeling you are talking about. I'm 6 weeks post op. At my four week follow up my doctor said that my vagina was healing just fine. The bottom of it does feel hard. I don't know if this will "soften" over time or not. I do wonder if it doesn't, how much "different" it will feel to a man. However, I'm in no hurry to find out.
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyoneperson View Post
I believe that you and I have had the same surgery. I know the feeling you are talking about. I'm 6 weeks post op. At my four week follow up my doctor said that my vagina was healing just fine. The bottom of it does feel hard. I don't know if this will "soften" over time or not. I do wonder if it doesn't, how much "different" it will feel to a man. However, I'm in no hurry to find out.
If you continue to feel this way ask your doctor for an RX of Estrace cream. Vaginal estrogen cream will bring back the suppleness of your vaginal walls and also strengthen your pelvic floor. Some doctors won't prescribe this until the stitiches are gone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register