Anxiety over hysterectomy on the 16th - no sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety over hysterectomy  on the 16th - no sleep Anxiety over hysterectomy on the 16th - no sleep

Unread 05-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Anxiety over hysterectomy on the 16th - no sleep

Is/has any one else experiencing little to no sleep because you are stressing or having anxiety over your hysterectomy? I only found out 2 weeks ago I was having one and it's in a week. I have not had a good nights sleep since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2016, 06:18 PM

This is completely normal. I had nightmares before mine.
Unread 05-11-2016, 04:29 AM

I was also sleepless from anxiety in the weeks leading up to my surgery. My doctor prescried medication for that, so ask your surgeon if he'd recommend that. Also be sure to get regular exercise, which I've found works quite well for anxiety. As well, avoid stimulants that can worsen anxiety and disrupt your sleep; my list includes caffeine, refined sugar, gluten, and artificial food dyes. Keep focused on your preparations, and be sure to schedule some enjoyable events, either by yourself, or with your friends and family, to keep yourself distracted. When you feel your anxiety starting to build, try this breathing technique, recommended by a well-known natural health doctor: inhale through your nose for a count of 4, hold for a count of 7, exhale through your nose for a count of 8. This shuts down the fight or flight response, and activates your parasympathetic nervous system, calming you down. Also think of how much better you'll feel once it's done! Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2016, 04:52 AM
Re: Anxiety over hysterectomy on the 16th - no sleep

You are not alone in this. I too had very little sleep prior to surgery and I found out over one month before. I just kept busy getting prepared by getting my nest ready, food, etc. I also spent time with friends, exercised, and right before I went to sleep, I listened to guided imagery to help me sleep better. It employs some of the deep breathing that Tiger_Eye mentioned. I did find this helped to calm my nerves and half the time I fell asleep in the middle of it.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
Unread 05-11-2016, 05:27 AM

Thanks ladies! Im going to try everything you suggested and see if that works! Sleep would be my best friend right now lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register