HELP! Need opinions! I'm so confused! Hydroablation or Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP! Need opinions! I'm so confused! Hydroablation or Hysterectomy? HELP! Need opinions! I'm so confused! Hydroablation or Hysterectomy?

Unread 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM
HELP! Need opinions! I'm so confused! Hydroablation or Hysterectomy?

Hello! I am in desperate need of your opinions! I am 39 years old with three children, 9, 4, and 2. I have a history of heavy periods. No issues have been found........fibroids, endo, polyps.......NOTHING! (My mom had the same problem although she did have polyps. It has affected my life, planning vacations, work, etc. On July 9th I bled so bad I was passing out and was admitted to the hospital. My CBC was down to 4 and I had to get transfused. After a week in the hospital and opinions from 4 docs in my practice)..........all the women said ABLASION........one of the males said hysto and my male doc was pushing the IUD. I am so confused! After my follow up this week complete with a sono.........my doc discovered I was not a candidate for the ablasion I think he does Novasure because my c section scar is not quite 8mm's?. I was disappointed, but then after reading what other women went through with it not working and the burning smell...I just can't do it! I have now spoken to another doc in the practice who said she can do the hydrothermal ablation. I don't know what to do!!! I'm still bleeding....lightly (for me).They have me on Premarin and hormones stop the bleeding ad it's not working. Any advice.. please! So scared. My period s coming August 7th and I'm at risk of being transfused again if I don't make a decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

I would recommend trying the IUD - however, there is a possibility that you will have irregular or constant bleeding or spotting for the first 1-7 months after insertion. Since you are in sort of a rush I think it's very important that you go for a less invasive procedure so that you have the time to research surgical alternatives. I firmly believe that you need to be at peace with your decision and rushing into an ablation or hysterectomy could potentially lead to regret if you are not fully prepared, both physically and emotionally. I was almost rushed into a hysterectomy, however I have decided to postpone the surgery until I have exhausted all less invasive options. Remember, with ablation and hysterectomy, there is no reversing your decision. Once it's done, it's done. Btw, I have the same problem with mennorhagia. I'm also 39 too. I have had some benign endometrial cysts removed in my late 20's but otherwise no other pathology. I have had 3 c-sections and a tubal ligation with my last child.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.
Unread 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Re: HELP! Need opinions! I'm so confused! Hydroablation or Hysto?

Thank you! I agree completely. So scared though cause I'm still bleeding because of these hormones I'm on. Did you try the IUD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Re: HELP! Need opinions! I'm so confused! Hydroablation or Hysto?

I'm scheduled for a hydrothermal balloon ablation (ThermaChoice) on Wednesday for hyperplasia which has been causing increasingly heavy periods. I'm also having a tubal at the same time.

My gyn suggested hydrothermal over other methods because in her experience, it's more "complete." Other methods (she felt) could leave tissue behind or cause "banding" scars that can lead to further problems. She'll do a D&C before the ablation and send the scrapings to the lab just in case. I already had a biopsy that came back negative.

As far as methods, I'd go with what your gyn recommends - in my case, it's the method she prefers, there doesn't seem to be any benefit of one type over another (except that the non-balloon hydrothermal has a risk of burning the vaginal walls), and it's the procedure she's performed the most. I'm going to be under general for it, but it's outpatient in a surgical center. I'm having the tubal at the same time because DH and I are done having kids and I don't want the risk of a bad outcome with a pregnancy post-ablation.

If you're not sure, I'd get a 2nd opinion.
Unread 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Re: HELP! Need opinions! I'm so confused! Hydroablation or Hysterectomy?

So I had my hysterectomy because of heavy bleeding. I was 29 and I was going from an IUD to Essure because I didn't want kids. Now my period had always been on the heavy side and when I was in my teens, sometimes it would last for weeks but then I went on BC and ultimately the IUD. After the Essure procedure and having my IUD removed, I started bleeding and pretty much didn't stop. My doctor had me go on hormones to stop the bleeding but most of them only made it work or made me insane. My doctor actually advised against ablation because it could simply cover up my problem without really fixing it and I didn't want to have it done anyway. So after about 8 months of bleeding, I had a total hysterectomy plus removal of my fallopian tubes. I still have my ovaries and I still have some hormone issues we're trying to correct but I'm so glad I went with a hysterectomy. However, it's a personal choice. I felt like I would lose more quality of life if I didn't get it done and I was worried I wouldn't find the correct hormone treatment before I got sicker and sicker. You need to consider what's best for you and if need be, see another doctor! An IUD might help, at least to give you some extra time because I found mine really did help lessen my periods when I had it in and if I had been trying to preserve my fertility, I might have gone with that but I just didn't want to try a treatment to see if it would work at the point my doctor suggested a hysterectomy.
Unread 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM

I've had horrible periods since my very first period, very heavy, very painful and all over the place. After my daughter was born I tried the iud and it caused me a ton of pain, so I had it removed after only 6 months. I've also tried all kinds of other hormonal birth control, both pills and the depo shot, my body is really sensitive to the hormones and they make me super sick. I had the ablation in May of this year. I've had 1 light period, only needed a panty liner and no cramps. It's been awesome. I am however having a hysterectomy this Monday because I did have polyps in my uterus and when I had the ablation they also did a d&c and the lining came back with abnormal cells. Because the lining has been burned they can no longer go back and monitor it to make sure it's not turning to cancer.
Unread 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM

I am also 39 but with no kids. All of a sudden a couple of years ago my bleeding got out of control and continued to get worse every month (no issues, just hormonal I guess, my grandmother suffered the same). I did the D & C which didn't work, then the ablation which also didn't work, I'm now scheduled for a hysterectomy at the beginning of September. I don't regret trying the less evasive measures before coming to the conclusion of the hysterectomy, I think it has made the thought of the upcoming surgery more easier to accept knowing that I tried everything I could before doing something so invasive. I think I would have regretted getting the hysterectomy without trying and spend the rest of my life wondering if the other options might have worked. But you have to do what you feel comfortable doing.
Unread 07-31-2014, 10:27 PM

Oh you poor thing!!! Prayers to u, i had a Davinci total hysterectomy (ovaries intact) on 7-18-14 and it was great!!! I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis. I too considered the ablation but my GYN told me that it is not definite that the ablation would rid me of my period so I opted for the hysterectomy and it was one of the best decisions I ever made!!!!
Unread 08-02-2014, 10:19 AM

I had all of the above. I too had very heavy bleeding. Went through all of the options... I decided to try the oblation, when the last two options I had were that or a hysterectomy. I figured, if the oblation fixes the problem, I'm no worse off... If it doesn't I can look at a hysterectomy down the road. That was five years ago. I am now six weeks post op. from my hysterectomy. And I wish I had done it five years ago! I am someone who was ok with the idea of a hysterectomy as far as "emotionally"... That's something you have to decide for you. But, I am so glad I did it. There were hurtles. But to know I am on the mend and never have to have an ER visit for the heavy bleeding again is a great feeling. My energy is better now than it has been in YEARS!

Spend sometime soul searching. Think about what you -emotionally and physically -would like the out come to be. Ask questions about the hormones and IUDs and their risks and benefits. I made actual lists- pros and cons.

Best of luck. It is a hard decision! And such a personal one... I will be sending you good thoughts!
Unread 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM

Good Morning Sisters ♡
I cannot say which is best for any of you but I will sha re my experience and hope it helps.
I had a dr who basically h as d full schedules and no time for any of us ....
Complaint after complaint about my anemia and heavy bleeding was not music to ears but he did suggest that since I had already h as d laparascopic tubaligation after my 2nd baby and was done. Why not try something new being advertised on tv as (Stop Flo Surgery). Bells rang in my head as I saw the commercial several times a day and still do.... they make it seem so in and out it can be done lunch. :-( . He gave the novasure pamphlet to read over whichbis much like the commercial..
Long story short I had the procedure on 11/12/08. Heck no it was not on lunch. HA ! I needed the week off then pto 4 days. Dr clearance to come back to work on the third week. Still hurting and bleeding for months until around 2/1/09. I gave up trying to find a dr bc who gives a rip. While on this mission I suffered in silence ... didn't think anyone cared esp men with scapples lol. Just seemed to a nightmare maybe one or two spottings then fine give months then one day looks like I'm bleeding to death. 10 days of this and alls quiet several months then fist size clots. The past yr has scared me silly and the past month I was hospitalized after passing what Only looked like afterbirth... mind you my baby is 19 yrs old. This was SOOO not afterbirth. Straight to emerg room where my angels were waiting and the best dr in the world was mine.
On 6/10/14 I was admitted with the best care ANYONE would dream of. Blood ct at 5.5
Dr was ready for emerg surg then and even called my mom who came cross country by next morning. He later decided to let my blood build. It was up to 11.2 two weeks ago. Insurance finally approved the surgery for 8/5/14. On 7/22 I bled unmerciful from 9:30pm until I went to my dr on 7/23 when he opened. He came in 1 hr later & MY CLOTHES WERE DRENCHED.... daughter got clothes from home... more life sized clots while dressing. Got depo shot . Less than 2 htrs later dear doctor called to check on me & wanted me on my way to emerg room for surgery. I feel WONDERFUL even with recovery discomfort to be alive cause my dr cared about me.

If I had been given a choice Hysterectomy wouldve been numero uno

Remember I suffered months in pain after ablation.
Just barely had hysthttps://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=573986 and if I didn't believe I'd scare my mom to death I'd run ouside and jump for joy.....
Make an informed decision sisters ..its the ours to make.
Roni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register