How long after surgery before you can eat? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long after surgery before you can eat? How long after surgery before you can eat?

Unread 11-11-2005, 12:29 PM
How long after surgery before you can eat?

This may sound like an insane question. I know that most people get horrendous nausea from general anaesthesia. I've had surgeries before though, and the first thing I want to do when I wake up is to eat. My dad is like this too. We've both had previous surgeons tell us that some people are just like that. (My mom, however can't stand the sight of food after surgery. Suckcs to be her ) I'm hoping that my iron stomach will be with me this time too, as it seems to me that the sooner you can start behaving like you are getting well, the sooner you actually get well. I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to be getting stuck in the castle for 3 days eating Jell-o and wandering the halls asking other peoples vistors if they have a ham sandwich in their pocket. Any of your experiences would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 12:37 PM

I honestly can't remember much about that day! I do remember them trying to get me to eat something (green jello maybe?) as soon as I was awake. The first and "only" thing I wanted was a Coke! I believe they tried to get me to eat dinner later on, but I did not feel like eating that day.

Good luck to ya! Don't worry, I think they will feed you when you are awake!
Unread 11-11-2005, 01:01 PM

I was on a liquid diet after my surgery. The morning after, I was on semi-solid food. Lunch the next day was my first meal with solid food.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurlie

I honestly can't remember much about that day! I do remember them trying to get me to eat something (green jello maybe?) as soon as I was awake. The first and "only" thing I wanted was a Coke! I believe they tried to get me to eat dinner later on, but I did not feel like eating that day.

Good luck to ya! Don't worry, I think they will feed you when you are awake!
YAY! Another Coke Junkie!!!!! As soon as I woke up from my last surgery, the nurse asked me how I felt. The first words out of my mouth were, "Can I have a diet coke?" She laughed and brought me my frosty can of carbonated goodness.
Unread 11-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Not til U pass the gas....

Hi,

I had TAH at 7:30 in the morning. I was in my room by 11:30 and trying my best to wake up some. I asked for Ice Tea and was told no way, but could have ice chips. For the 1st day and night only ice chips, Day 2 - I got a liquid breakfast and lunch. I let my first bipper by 3:00 p.m. after a few hall walks and was offered a normal dinner. Day 3 was all normal meals. They told me no solid foods until I passed gas. Gee this is fun to write about.
Best of luck!
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:04 PM

HI
My surgery was at 8:00 AM.

I was on clear liquids the day before surgery, nothing to eat/drink prior to surgery and was brought clear liquids for lunch and dinner the day of. I only drank the chicken broth at dinner time. (and I really hate green jello)

The next morning, after being given another wonderful clear fluid breakfast, the resident asked me if I had a BM yet. I told her "nothing in, nothing out". She looked at me funny but then "someone" had miraculously found me a real breakfast (okay, rubbery omelet, rock-hard toast and slightly warm oatmeal). The nurse that brought it in said "I was told you might be looking for this," took the offending clear liquid tray away and replaced it with the new one.

One suggestion I will make is that you don't start with a coke. Carbonated drinks will make your gas problems worse so abstain until that first (very welcomed and usually LOUD) fart.

Here's another thread you might bet some other info from: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=227210

Good luck
Autumn
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:28 PM

I had my surgery at 12 noon and was in my room at 3PM. I was feeling quite nauseated from the morphine pump, but not at all from the epidural I went with rather than general anesthesia. Believe it or not, around 5PM a tray was placed before me and my husband's face said it all: my first post-op meal was CHILI!!! Needless to say I passed on that meal, the next mornings breakfast and lunch. (Morphine was not my best friend and made me quite physically ill). I sometimes wonder what they are thinking as they hand you your meal??!!
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froux2zj
YAY! Another Coke Junkie!!!!! As soon as I woke up from my last surgery, the nurse asked me how I felt. The first words out of my mouth were, "Can I have a diet coke?" She laughed and brought me my frosty can of carbonated goodness.

Yes mam! They laughed at me that day when I was waiting to go to surgery...all I could say was "I can't wait to get this over with so I can have a coke!" The nurse said "Are you hungry?" and I said "Heck no! I just want a coke!" They were all laughing! When I could finally have one, it was absolute Heaven!
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM

I'm a Coke gal too! I also love Starbucks and there is one just up the street from the hospital where I will have surgery next month.
Unread 11-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Mountain Dew is my drink of choice. I had UTI last week and I thought that I was going to die with out one. That is my concern: When can I have one

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register