Question for those who had LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for those who had LAVH Question for those who had LAVH

Unread 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Question for those who had LAVH

I am having a LAVH (if things go as planned). My doctor said three weeks before I go back to work. I had a friend tell me she had surgery on Tuesday and the following Monday went to her college class for an hour.

I have everything set up to work from home on the computer and my phone will be forwarded to my cell but I wonder how soon will I feel like working some?

I am hoping after a week I will be able to get on the computer, make phone calls and answer the phone with some sense.

How long did it take you to feel sane? I know my energy level will be down but how long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2009, 08:47 PM

We are each different and it will depend on your body and exactly what is done during your surgery. Some ladies don't recover as quickly from the effects of anesthesia. Some find they have a lot of pain as they heal. Bladder and bowel issues can effect how quickly one feels up to par. The pure exhaustion from having surgery can linger for quite some time for some ladies. I had complications so I wasn't even out of the hospital a week after surgery!

My best advice is to plan to take the time your doctor has suggested even if you have everything set up so you can work from home. Then, if you feel better sooner than the three weeks, maybe you will be able to successfully work from home. But if you find you just don't feel up to it for whatever reason--pain, tired, cloudy thinking, etc.--then you and your office are not expecting too much, too soon.

I wish you all the best for a successful surgery and a very smooth recovery! S
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:00 PM

I had LAVH on Jan 8 and returned to the office half days after 4 weeks - BUT like you was all connected at home with computer and Blackberry. Was able to get a lot of work done, conference calls, keeping track of e-mail, other calls. Some days had more energy than others, but a nap is as close as turning off the internet connection. Do make sure to not sit in one place too long, but relax, do what you can, and don't rush back to the office any sooner than you have to. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2009, 03:55 AM

I was thinking I could go back to work after a couple of weeks. My doctor says four weeks. DH isn't going to budge on that issue and my boss (who is absolutely great) is agreeing with DH. Guess they both know that I would over do it. So I'm planning on the four weeks and we'll take it from there. I go to the castle on Thursday. Good luck to you!!
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:55 AM

It took me 10 weeks to get back to work. Mind you, I bled during surgery and as a result my iron got really low. I took me a long time to be able to focus and to get out of the house without having some anxiety. I also work with dementia patients and it is high risk for getting injured even on a good day, so I needed to heal up well before I got back. I wasn't 100% when I got back. I'm still feeling tired on some days, but I am getting my grove back.

Take the time you need. Everyone is different but you need to listen to your body. It is hugely frustrating to not feel competent and useful for so long, but in the end, I did what was right for me.

All the best,
Unread 02-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks for all your input. I know it is all my fault. I am putting this pressure on myself. My boss, my family, my husband all say to take the time I need and not to rush it.

I guess I won't know til I know, but I hope that I am able to work on the computer some during the three weeks.

On the bright side, there is nothing that will be a major disaster if I am not back in three weeks. I have taken care of everything coming up for the next two months.

Thank you to everyone for all your advice, input, and words of support!

Michele
Unread 02-07-2009, 01:04 PM

I just had an LAVH w/BSO on Tuesday. I was exhausted my first day home and even yesterday. I have more energy today, but as I type this, I think I've been on the computer reviewing this site too long. So I'm gonna take a nap.

Take as much time as you feel you need AND your doctor suggests. My doc at first told me 2 - 4 weeks; but the paperwork she sent to HR had 6 weeks recovery time. I have work here to do, but haven't touched it, and will do it little by little (computer and paperwork). When I feel stronger. Now, off to my nap!
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Sleep well! Sending best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:34 PM

I had my LAVH and bladder sling on 1/9 and went back to work on 2/2, I went back for 20 hours. I did Ok but I was very sore and tired. I am really swollen tonight and tired. Take the time to heal.....
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Thank you -- sounds like you need to take your own advise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register