aging after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

aging after hysterectomy aging after hysterectomy

Unread 06-25-2007, 02:54 PM
aging after hysterectomy

HI
I have my surgery appt. for this Thursday for a vaginal hysterectomy for possible adenomyois. I will hopefully keep my right ovary, and they need to look at my left one as it appears to be stuck in place and may need to come out. I am 42 and I am so worried about the hormonal part of it. I am so hormonally sensitive, and I had to stop taking birth control pills because of migraines. Does anyone feel like they age faster after a hysterectomy? I worry so much about the hormone fluctuations and what that will do to me. I am very active, and this has been so hard lately to feel like I can't do anything because of this pain. I am hoping I will feel pretty much the same after all this is over, minus the pain. I am so freaked out as the date gets closer. Any encouraging words would be so appreciated.
Maureen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
aging after hysterectomy

jomo42, I had TVH keeping ovaries, in March....honestly I feel so much better and have much more energy than before surgery! I still have my tired days, but for the most part I feel absolutely fantastic!!! I am getting to the point where I forget I had surgery, I still have a little PMS with my natural hormones, but nothing like before with all the pain most of the month!! I feel this is the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family!! I am swimming again 3-5 days a week and really feel like doing more and getting out!!
Best wishes to you!!!
Unread 06-25-2007, 04:28 PM
aging after hysterectomy

i worried about hormones also and did not want to start on hrt at 44. i kept my ovaries and so far theyre working great. i dont have any problems with hormones. definitely discuss with your dr that you are concerned about it and you would prefer to keep your ovaries. just make sure he knows that before you go into surgery. good luck..i'm sure everything will be fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2007, 04:51 PM
aging after hysterectomy

I had my surgery almost four weeks ago. If I had known my ovaries were coming out too, I would have been just as scared as you are. Four weeks isn't enough for me to really give any words from my experience though.

I don't want to age prematurely. (I'm 38.) Despite that, I'm not taking any hormones plant based or otherwise for fear of endo growing. I have already started taking a calcium citrate for my bones. I plan to take Omega3 (for skin) also, but haven't bought any yet. I have been researching and have found a vaginal insert (every four days) to prevent dryness if that becomes a problem.

So far, I haven't been hit hard by menopause. I get headaches on days that I don't take my liquid B complex. I'm not sure why, but I always needed more B complex anyway.

My plan is to combat each symptom of aging that menopause might cause before I see it happen. I do worry about bone density, but hopefully calcium and exercise will keep it high enough.
Unread 06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
aging after hysterectomy

Hi Maureen!

I want to have the hormone levels of a young woman as long as possible, even though I am <sigh> "not." So, I take HRT to replace what my ovaries used to make, and will do so as long as it's medically safe for me.

At age 54, I feel terrific, and I think it's not only because I have the same hormones as a young woman, but it's also because I get daily exercise (on most days) and I eat healthy foods. I also think genetics play a part. My mother is age 82 and she's still very healthy and younger looking than her years. She has a health-conscious lifestyle, too...which I am sure has served her well.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 06-27-2007, 04:45 PM
aging after hysterectomy

HI everyone, Thanks so much for your responses. Most of the things I have read on here are pretty positive, and my doctor said that she has never had a patient regret getting a hysterectomy. Today I am starting to really freak out, with my surgery scheduled for tomorrow. Today I was at Barnes and Noble and I bought a book about hysterectomies. I haven't read to much of it yet, but I looked through it, and it seemed to put a negative slant on the whole thing. It said that studies showed that one year after a hysterectomy, most women were glad they had it, but three years later,only about a third were glad they had it. It talked about high rates of depression afterward, and a long recovery time. It said the ovaries only continue to work 50% of the time. It also said women age faster after a hysterectomy, and have more wrinkles and aging skin. It did say hormone replacement therapy helps this. It also mentioned sexual response being negatively affected. After reading all this stuff I am so scared. With constant pain from suspected adenomyosis though, I don't see how I have ,much choice. Have any of you taken hormones right away until it is known whether the ovaries are working or not. Or do you just have to wait until you are having symptoms bdfore you take anything. I am so worried because when I get low in estrogen, I get horrible migraines. When I had a baby, I had to go on the pill as soon as possible, because my headaches were so bad. My doctor said there is no scientific proof that menopause happens any sooner after a hysterectomy, but the things I read seem to contadict that. Anyone who reads this who doesn't regret their hysterectomy, I would sure appreciate hearing some positive things, since I am getting really nervous.
Thanks,
Maureen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register