Will i still feel like a girl? (children mentioned) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will i still feel like a girl? (children mentioned) Will i still feel like a girl? (children mentioned)

Unread 11-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Re: Will i still feel like a girl? (children mentioned)

i can relate, i am 31 with 3 children and my hyster is in a couple days.
I have chosen to keep my ovaries, i don't see a need to surgery induced menopause if i don't really need it.

I have one bung ovary as i put it that gives me alot of trouble and i have heard that u can function normally on the one ovary.
I am hoping to keep both or at least one even though i know i may need it removed anyway in future.

I do worry about if i will feel the same, i don't know how i am going to actually react till it happens.

All the best for ur hyster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM

perfectly put!!! ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyxxfire View Post
Try not to think of it as something being taken away. Try to think of it as your life being given back to you. Your womanhood doesn't lie in your body or your organs. It lies in your wisdom and your experience and your heart and that's something that no surgery can ever take away. You are so much more than just a uterus and ovaries! Your body is a shell. It is a meat-suit that allows the essential YOU to grow and experience and love and flourish as the beautiful spiritual female that you are and always will be.

One of my favorite quotes of all times comes from an episode of Roseanne. She says "We aren't bodies with souls; we're souls with bodies".

You will still be you but you will be free of the discomfort and dysfunction that is plaguing your earthly body. You may find that you are free to change and grow and love and nurture in ways you never thought possible.

The divine feminine reflected in Eve and Mary and the Goddesses resides within each of us no matter what may be changed or removed from our bodies.
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM

I am brand newly 1 day post op and I can tell you I feel just as much like a woman and myself as I did before the surgery The post op pain is there, but my best friend the dilaudid pump is taking care of that. I've just been de-cathed and I'm about to be de-pain pumped i've already walked to the restroom and peed on my own.

Blessed Be Ladies! And best of luck to you all!
No regrets! All I can think of now is never ever needing tampons again!

So for all you pre-op ladies who are nervous don't worry so much.

Take the scopalomine patch if it's offered. I've had ZERO nausea. LIterally the catheter was the worst part!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefandi77
My doc said that a lot of my moodiness actually came from the progesterone produced in my uterus. He assures me it is better than HRT.
The uterus does not produce progesterone. It does produce prostaglandins, which are the hormones responsible for menstrual cramps; prostaglandin production takes place in all smooth muscle cells (intestines, for example) and is related to sex hormone levels.

(((racing92))) I would strongly encourage you to consult an endocrinologist and a gynecological surgeon before you decide to have your uterus and ovaries removed for cholestasis. Obstetric cholestasis (obstruction of the bile duct) is hormone-related; the uterus has no part in it. There are hormonal treatments you can try that are reversible if they do not work -- removing your ovaries is not. I had my ovaries removed with my hysterectomy at age 45 and it was difficult enough; I cannot imagine choosing to have them removed at 24 unless something life-threatening like cancer were involved.

Please don't rush into this without fully understanding the potential outcomes, which are lifelong. You are very young and have a long life to live, and it sounds like you would still like to be able to have another child. If you don't exhaust all less-invasive options for dealing with the cholestasis, you will have a much harder time emotionally dealing with the consequences of surgery, be they positive or negative. Don't do that to yourself.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Maybe my Grandmom's story will help??
She was one of 10 kids; basically helping her Mom around the house due to an absentee/sperm-donor father. My Grandmom grew up, married, had 2 beautiful girls. When I was about 7, she had a hysterectomy...a total. Then we found out she had breast cancer, and had a radical double that saved her life. She did the implant thing, but when they found out Saline leaked, she had those removed. This beautiful young (!60-something) lady was diagnosed with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy in 1996. That's terminal. What did she wear for my college graduation ceremony? Dig this: patent-leather flats, silk slacks, and a sparkly blouse and her fave earrings. She was dressed to the 9's despite the PSP that screwed up her bladder functions at that point. With her boobs AND uterus and ovaries gone, she was still every bit the beauty. She was STILL my beautiful Mamaw. Always ALWAYS about stylin' and profilin'.
She's proof that it isn't the innards that make the woman!
God bless you during this. You are very young. Gonna be praying for you.
T
Unread 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM

Definitely do some research and talk with your doctor(s) before deciding to have the ovaries removed. They are so beneficial! Unless there is a history of ovarian cancer in your family, or the ovaries aren't healthy, it might be best to keep them. But again, that's a decision you should make with your doctor.

If you do lose the ovaries, please don't despair! It will take some trial and error, but they will be able to regulate your hormones! Yes, you and your husband will have to deal with some interesting things until that happens, but it's temporary. I'm going through the mood swings right now because my ovaries are apparently on time out since surgery (and I was perimenopausal to begin with), so I just keep reminding my hubby that if he can't deal with evil woman when she comes out then it's best if he just walk away because I can't control her. He says it's kind of fascinating to watch.

As for feeling less girly...Like others have said, your uterus isn't what makes you a woman. I honestly feel more like a woman since my surgery. Much sexier and much more confident since I got rid of that freak show that was happening below my waist

I can't imagine going through this at your age, but I know you can do it. Hang in and hugs!
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:43 AM

I had the same fears about still feeling like a girl I am 37 and had surgery in August I still feel every bit a woman. But I agree with the others don't lose your ovaries if you don't have to I kept mine because there was nothing wrong with them if there is no medical reason to remove them I wouldn't even consider it ..think long asnd hard before you make your final decision once you do it it can't be undone ..I am also the same person I was before just maybe a little stronger and I seem to appreciate the little things people do for me a bit more as my friends , co-workers and boyfriend have been very supportive and still make sure i don't overdue it . Take your time in deciding . Have you asked about other options ? there may be some .
Unread 11-06-2010, 12:46 PM

I understand your feelings, and I am twice your age. And yes, I still feel like a woman.

I would not say I feel like the same person exactly, but I do still very feminine. I am blessed to have a dh who has made sure I know that I am still attractive to him, he loves me with all the changes age has brought.

This surgery has made me quite reflective about my life, what I spend my energy and time on, where I put my efforts and the things that really are important.
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:01 PM

I agree with the other posts on this thread: Your DNA makes you a woman, not your uterus. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register