Pre-op physical today, doc is TOO funny! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op physical today, doc is TOO funny! Pre-op physical today, doc is TOO funny!

Unread 10-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Pre-op physical today, doc is TOO funny!

Hi Ladies

Well, after all my ups and downs last week, and reality hitting home Saturday night, and only two of my friends actually coming to Gang Women's Day yesterday (the others all backed out.....), I thought today was going to be a real challenge!!

The financial people at the hospital insisted that I go sign up for Medicaid to cover the Medicare deductible... <sigh> When all of that was said and done, DH said to the case worker "What was all this good for, anyway, if you're just going to deny us?" She said "You were going through the formalities to make the hospital happy. Just take them this paper to prove you've been here and signed up, and they'll take it from here." Ohhhhh-kay.... So I wasted two hours of time and a LOT of paperwork <shrug>

Then I got to the doctor's office. The nurse did her thing with me, we went over all the papers from my previous visit in September. I reached into my purse and pulled out the list of questions I printed from here and added to and deleted from as I felt like it, and scribbled ALLLLLLLL over the margins with questions of my own!

Doc came in, explained the surgery once again, went over all the risks and benefits and etc., had us sign the consent form. Then... He saw my paper. "I take it you have questions for me?" and grinned. I said "Yeah, I found the HysterSisters website and started with their questions and made them my own." He grinned even wider, said "How is it there?" I said "WONDERFUL!" He said "My nurse says it's great and I should at least go read it. Is she right?" I said "You got it!"

What a lovely person he is, he patiently answered EVERY question I had on the paper, and turned to DH and said "What's going on for you with this? Are you all right with it? Do you have any questions? Is there anything I forgot to talk about?"

He looked me over, said my lungs are quite clear, and despite having had a cold last week and still having a little post-nasal drip, I'm good to go!!

Tomorrow, I go to the hospital, have blood work done, meet the A-man, and hopefully have an EKG (I have one goofy heart valve and while it's never stopped me from doing anything in my life that I wanted to do, I'm a little bit overprotective sometimes about "How's it doing?")

We did agree that I'm going to be put to sleep (I DON'T wanna know what he's doing while I'm asleep!!!!), but have an "intrathecal morphine block" before I wake up so that I'm not in pain for 6-12 hours after surgery is done. We'll take pain control from there with morphine if I need it, or Percocet; then Percocet dwindling down into Aleve at home. (He offered Motrin, but I don't have exactly wonderful responses to Motrin - like, it doesn't even work on me!!!). I told him I'm one of the "loonies who actually LIKE prune juice" and he laughed, said that was wonderful by him, drink away!

The bad news..... I have to do a Fleet enema the night before..... But after that, "prep" is done. <whew!!>

Bet after reading all of this, YOU're saying "WHEW!", too!!

Hugs to all of you, thank you SOOOOOO much for being so supportive and warm and kind!

Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2002, 02:19 PM

So glad that pre-op appt. went well! Don't you feel better already?

You'll be in my thoughts this week!

See you on the otherside next week!
Unread 10-28-2002, 03:30 PM
Wooo Hoooo Girl

Cat <<<<HUGS>>>>>

I am soooo happy for you that your appointment went well today. I was thinking about you all day

Couple of more days and we're there. My chest cold has developed into a head cold, but I'm not coughing anymore, did all that yesterday. So I don't think I'm going to be held up at the castle doors on Thursday.

Now all we have to do is get through the next two days (and nights) and we'll be Princesses - crowns and everything. I just hope when I wake up in recovery I don't ask a nurse "am I a princess yet???" That could take some explaining heheheh.

All the best and we'll catch up soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 04:20 AM

Cyndi, I hope I get "awake and thinking" before you leave for the castle, so I can reassure you about how it went!! I'm always thinking of my HysterSisters these days, and I'm sure I will be after. {{{Good luck to you!}}} if I don't get to talk to you before you go.

Special Angel, you're something else (Yes, that's a good thing!)

Hugs,
Cat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register