Open Mouth ... Insert Foot? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Open Mouth ... Insert Foot? Open Mouth ... Insert Foot?

Unread 11-07-2001, 04:48 PM
mint flavored shoes?

Hi Lori!

I had epidural and general, and I am like Bobby Sue; I had no problem controlling anything I said, which was mostly, "huh??" I had issues with comprehension. I did not remember a THING my DR told me about the surgery, so I had to ask him all over again later.

I could have used mint-flavored shoes, however, the next day when my PCA ran dry and I was in intolerable pain.... but my anger was strictly toward the machine and the 'I'll get to it when I get to it' attitude Nurse Ratchett.

I understand your concern, though - not everyone has the same reaction. I am not sure your DR will have any answers for you; however, I do think that the anesthesiologist WILL be able to assist you with this matter. Normally you don't see or talk to the anesthesiologist until you are being prepped for surgery, but perhaps there is some way your DR can arrange communication between the two of you beforehand. (?)

Good Luck, sweetie - I am sincerely hoping everything gets better for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2001, 05:17 PM
Open Mouth ... Insert Foot?

LoriK... Good luck with your surgery.. You will be surprised at how well you feel afterwards..
I agree with HorseWoman though.. Since this is not a life-threatening situation make sure that it is what YOU want to do. I can see your husbands point of view also... but the bottom line is it is your body and you must be 100% comfortable with your decision.
I was scared about my surgery.. what I would say and such.. I just kept telling myself that I would go to sleep and then I would wake up and it would be all over.. and that is exactly how it happend.. I just wish they could have put the folks in the waiting room asleep too so it would not have dragged out so long for them...
Will keep you in our prayers.. whatever you decide ... take care of yourself....
Unread 11-07-2001, 05:38 PM
Read HorseWoman's post again

Dear LoriK:
I just wanted to make sure you really gave some thought to HorseWoman's post. It does sound like you do need a hyst, if your uterus is swollen with fibroids to a 18 week gestational size. But, if YOU have not decided this is the proper course of action, you WILL resent your husband afterwards! I don't know what your marital problems are, but if you cannot ask him to leave you alone with your doctor for a few minutes conversation, there is a REAL problem going on here! Believe me, I know what it's like to not have a perfect marriage, and so do many of the Sisters here also, I'm sure! But, if you can't be truthful and get all of your questions answered, even those you think silly, rethink not only your surgery, but your marriage! Do you want to be out in the middle of nowhere with someone that you don't trust will act in your best interest? Sit down with your husband tonight, before your doctor's visit, and have a heart-to-heart, IF you can. Best of luck to you in your decision.
Unread 11-08-2001, 08:28 PM
Pre-Op Results ... No Surgery

Thanks all of you for everything! You don't know how much I appreciate this site and all of the thoughtful and caring women here. From reading the posts I know you hear that a lot, but it is really true. What little sanity I have been able to maintain the last few weeks has been from reading the posts and information available here.

Today at my pre-op, after about 2 hrs. of discussion between me, my Dr. and my DH, my Dr. (basically) said that "I was not mentally prepared for this surgery, and that until I was, she did not feel comfortable doing it." She was very supportive and understanding of our concerns regarding complications of the fibroids, but made it clear that until I wanted the surgery, I shouldn't have it done.

I know that this is the right decission for me at this time. Maybe, there will come a time when I am ready to be a but not yet.

Again, my sincere thanks! You are all 's
Unread 11-08-2001, 09:29 PM

GOOD FOR YOU GIRL!!

It sounds like you made the right decision for you.
Unread 11-09-2001, 05:26 AM

Hoorah for your doctor!! I have been reading more and more about the patient's attitude having a HUGE influence on how smoothly the surgery and recovery goes. It looks like your doctor is on the "cutting edge" of this new school of thought. I think previously doctors thought surgery was strictly a physical thing, and if a patient was unhappy, scared, etc. that was a SEPARATE issue.....FINALLY, they are beginning to see us as WHOLE people and understand how our mental and emotional status affect our physical status.

I wish you the best in regard to your marriage as well as your physical problems. You are a wise girl to trust your "gut" feeling that you might resent your hubby after the surgery. If things aren't great in a marriage, the strain of the surgery and recuperation is really difficult to live with. I know from personal experience.

Take care and stay in touch. We want to know how you are doing.

Big

Barbara
Unread 11-09-2001, 06:06 AM
TALKING JIBBERISH???

HI,

IN ANSWER TO YOUR POST, WITHIN 2 MINS OF HAVING THE KNOCK-OUT INJECTION, YOU ARE "OUT"., AND DO NOT HAVE TIME TO SAY ANYTHING. MY EXPERIENCE WAS, APPARENTLY I THOUGHT THE ANETHESTIST WAS MY HUBBY, THE NURSES SAID I MADE THEM LAUGH, AFTERWARDS WHEN I SAW MY HUSBAND I STARTED TO CRY, DURING THE COURSE OF THAT FIRST DAY I DID FEEL QUITE IRRITABLE, ACCORDING TO MUM I WAS SPITEFUL TO HUBBY, BUT I REMEMBER I KEPT TELLING HIM TO GO HOME BECAUSE HE LOOKED BORED!!! BY TEA-TIME I KEPT DRIFTING IN AND OUT OF SLEEP, AND APPARANTLY KEPT ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS, BUT EVERYTHING WAS GENERAL, NOTHING UNTOWARD. YOU ARE AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING/SAYING BUT YOU FEEL ALITTLE MUZZY HEADED, IF THAT MAKES SENSE.
MORE THAN LIKELY YOU WILL JUST WANT TO SLEEP, SO DO NOT WORRY AT ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO SAY, AND EVEN IF YOU DO UPSET SOMEONE, THEY WILL UNDERSTAND IT IS THE MORPHINE.
I HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR YOU,
PLEASE TRY AND NOT WORRY.
THINKING OF YOU,
LOVE DEBS,
XXX

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register